McCartney and the Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

The GIANTS’ General Manager Football Jason McCartney has accepted the sanction handed down by the AFL today in relation to Rule 15.2 (Approaches to Umpires).

McCartney said: “I unreservedly apologise and accept responsibility for my actions on Friday night.

“Umpires play a vital role at all levels of our game and those of us fortunate enough to work at the elite level must set an example in the way we show respect towards those officiating our game.“

The GIANTS’ General Manager Football Jason McCartney has accepted the sanction handed down by the AFL today in relation to Rule 15.2 (Approaches to Umpires).

McCartney said: “I unreservedly apologise and accept responsibility for my actions on Friday night.

“Umpires play a vital role at all levels of our game and those of us fortunate enough to work at the elite level must set an example in the way we show respect towards those officiating our game.“

Unlike other controversial umpiring calls, Hocking has publicly supported the umpiring of the game.

Why?

Because he can’t both publicly agree with McCartney and fine him simultaneously.

This is a classic case of ‘shoot the messenger’.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unlike other controversial umpiring calls, Hocking has publicly supported the umpiring of the game.

Why?

Because he can’t both publicly agree with McCartney and fine him simultaneously.

Why?

It's not ''shoot the messenger'', it's ''we can't allow club officials to think they can barge in on the umpires during a game''

To think he thought he could do what he did with no repercussions is a little foolish, he has been in the game long and deep enough to know umpires are "off limits"
I just think he had a guts full and said F-it someone needs to have some ballz around here and make a statement.
And he did.

Right or wrong, obviously wrong way, what he did was bound to happen sooner or later one way or another.
The inconsistency with how our game is officiated is embarrassing and unfortunately increasing.

The free kick count means jack. It is about where and when they are paid and how a decision goes one way but not the other, this part is more because one umpire pays something at one end but another umpire sees the same thing at the other but doesn't pay it.

You know there is a problem when you watch a game and go "WOW that was a well umpired game"

A $20,000 fine is way too light on for this IMO.

If you have an issue with the umpiring, address it after the game through the appropriate channels. And there should be appropriate channels for umpires to be held accountable for ensuring they officiate consistently, and where the format of the rule(s) make it difficult or impossible to umpire it consistently, the umpires should be able to give feedback, and that rule should be modified to make it able to be consistently applied.

But to walk in on them mid-game? Imagine for a moment if GWS had the rub of the green after half-time? Even if it was dumb luck, it would entirely compromise the result of the game.

How about the AFL train better umpires? Or stop making up new s**t rules every year that makes their job harder.

I don't or will never under stand the reverence for umpires by the AFL. Of course they shouldn't be abused, but they certainly should be allowed to be criticized. Just like the players are.

They are paid to do a Job like anyone else. Do it correctly or * off.

But to walk in on them mid-game? Imagine for a moment if GWS had the rub of the green after half-time? Even if it was dumb luck, it would entirely compromise the result of the game.

Well, they kind of did. And I'm aware that I'm a Bulldogs supporter and I'm not complaining at all, just an observation. If my team was getting a free ride in the first half (I don't buy the conspiracy theories but I'll play along for the sake of the discussion), it's an absolutely astonishing coincidence that a GWS official goes ballistic at the umpires at half time and suddenly the free kick count flips around the other way and we end up near level at the end. Can easily be argued that consciously or subconsciously the umpires might have s**t themselves and suddenly started being very aware of a need to pay some to the orange boys.

How about the AFL train better umpires? Or stop making up new sh*t rules every year that makes their job harder.

I don't or will never under stand the reverence for umpires by the AFL. Of course they shouldn't be abused, but they certainly should be allowed to be criticized. Just like the players are.

They are paid to do a Job like anyone else. Do it correctly or fu** off.
A good start would be to put some cones down 15M apart so they can actually see and learn what 15 BLOODY METRES is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was how long ago? And not during an in-progress game.
a) Is there a statute of limitations on mentioning Eddie's disgraceful behaviour going unpunished?

b) Yes, he was in the commentary box during a game bellyaching about it.

a) Is there a statute of limitations on mentioning Eddie's disgraceful behaviour going unpunished?

b) Yes, he was in the commentary box during a game bellyaching about it.

You don't see the difference between a commentator making comments, over a decade ago, and McCartney going in to the umpires room at half-time during an active game, this year?

How about the AFL train better umpires? Or stop making up new sh*t rules every year that makes their job harder.

They are paid to do a Job like anyone else. Do it correctly or fu** off.
"Do it correctly" ???? What does this mean? You make it sound so simple.

Look at all of us here on Big Footy. We've all watched the game for years and we think we know the rules. Except none of us can agree on anything. We can replay the footage of a particular incident 100 times and slow it down and use frame by frame and we'll STILL disagree about certain decisions.

And we demand the umpires make split second decisions out there in the maelstrom and they must get it right 100% of the time, or else we all go into meltdown, with hundreds of tossers in the media second-guessing their decisions.

Example: Look at the fans and media's reaction to Adelaide v Melbourne and the deliberate OOB which wasn't paid. Everyone acts like it was a blown line call in a tennis match. The ump was looking through a forest of 15 players and trying to decide whether the defender intentionally handballed it OOB or not. Only the result of the game riding his opinion. No biggie. The replay from one camera angle showed the handball was a part-smothered by the Melb defender. So it wasn't deliberate. The correct call was (luckily) made. The media STILL bagged the umpire for "getting it wrong" cos he couldn't possibly have seen it was smothered. :confusedv1:

Criticised no matter what they do...

Where is the trophy for the best umpire? We don't have one.
Where is the weekly award for best umpiring decision ? We don't have one... STFU and do your jobs campaigners.

AFL footy is one of the hardest games in the world to umpire. That's not some idly-spoken bullshiit cliche. It's the truth.

It's a unique sport - played on the largest field with the most number of players flying in from all angles - ground contests, aerial contests, tackles, bumps, specific rules about tackling and bumps, no throwing the ball FFS!! What other game has that? Special rules for out of bounds... A separate rule for out on the full... Goals, but no goal if it's touched and no goal if it shaves the inside of the post. WTF?

What other game has such a weird and complex array of rules?

The rules for "prohibited contact" are wide open to interpretation and variance. There are all kinds of grey areas. There are all kinds of contradictions in the rules depending on the different variables and circumstances which lead up to the contest.

Smart people who've played the game and watched it for YEARS sometimes scratch their heads and wonder what the exact rules are. You hear the TV commentators unfairly criticising the umpires all the time and it's clear some of them don't fully understand the laws of the game, even though they played it and had stellar careers.

Also the way the game evolves with new tactics and evolving umpire interpretations. You can watch a game from 20-30 years ago and it's umpired completely differently... Not just from rule changes, but from a natural evolution and a stronger focus on certain rules. e.g. more/less holding the ball decisions, blowing the whistle quicker for a ball-up, etc, etc

Last edited:
=
"Do it correctly" ???? What does this mean? You make it sound so simple.

Look at all of us here on Big Footy. We've all watched the game for years and we think we know the rules. Except none of us can agree on anything. We can replay the footage of a particular incident 100 times and slow it down and use frame by frame and we'll STILL disagree about certain decisions.

And we demand the umpires make split second decisions out there in the maelstrom and they must get it right 100% of the time, or else we all go into meltdown, with hundreds of tossers in the media second-guessing their decisions.

Example: Look at the fans and media's reaction to Adelaide v Melbourne and the deliberate OOB which wasn't paid. Everyone acts like it was a blown line call in a tennis match. The ump was looking through a forest of 15 players and trying to decide whether the defender intentionally handballed it OOB or not. Only the result of the game riding his opinion. No biggie. The replay from one camera angle showed the handball was a part-smothered by the Melb defender. So it wasn't deliberate. The correct call was (luckily) made. The media STILL bagged the umpire for "getting it wrong" cos he couldn't possibly have seen it was smothered. :confusedv1:

Criticised no matter what they do...

Where is the media for the best umpire? We don't have one.
Where is the weekly award for best umpiring decision ? We don't have one... STFU and do your jobs campaigners.

AFL footy is one of the hardest games in the world to umpire. That's not some idly-spoken bullshiit cliche. It's the truth.

It's a unique sport - played on the largest field with the most number of players flying in from all angles - ground contests, aerial contests, tackles, bumps, specific rules about tackling and bumps, no throwing the ball FFS!! What other game has that? Special rules for out of bounds... A separate rule for out on the full... Goals, but no goal if it's touched and no goal if it shaves the inside of the post. WTF?

What other game has such a weird and complex array of rules?

The rules for "prohibited contact" are wide open to interpretation and variance. There are all kinds of grey areas. There are all kinds of contradictions in the rules depending on the different variables and circumstances which lead up to the contest.

Smart people who've played the game and watched it for YEARS sometimes scratch their heads and wonder what the exact rules are. You hear the TV commentators unfairly criticising the umpires all the time and it's clear some of them don't fully understand the laws of the game, even though they played it and had stellar careers.

Also the way the game evolves with new tactics and evolving umpire interpretations. You can watch a game from 20-30 years ago and it's umpired completely differently... Not just from rule changes, but from a natural evolution and a stronger focus on certain rules. e.g. more/less holding the ball decisions, blowing the whistle quicker for a ball-up, etc, etc

This is exactly why I said the AFL should stop changing the rules which make the game so hard to officiate.

If the Umpire is out of position than put more bloody umpires on the ground.

Games cannot continue to be lost based on umpire errors.

If a player misses an easy set shot for goal they are going to be criticized just as much as an umpire missing an easy decision.

its about time umpires are put on the same levels as players, instead of being at this reverend type status where you cant critic them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back