Preview Round 7, 2021 - Lions v Port Saturday May 1st The Gabba

Status
Not open for further replies.
"When you lose the Brownlow medalist you'd think your team is in a bit of trouble, but I think one thing we've shown is we haven't been reliant on Lachie in the first five rounds," Zorko said.

... huh. The first several rounds where Neale was clearly struggling, we struggled a lot. When Neale played well, all of a sudden we look great again. We are definitly reliant on Neale, and unless a Matho or Berry has an absolute blinder, l reckon we will struggle against Port and richmond in the next week/month
I think you can safely say that the team as a whole didn’t start the season well.
Can’t say that our bad start to the year was all as a result of Neale being off his game.
The difference in whole team attitude defensively and intensity from game 1 against the Swans and the game in Round 5 against Essendon, was Starc.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I think you can safely say that the team as a whole didn’t start the season well.
Can’t say that our bad start to the year was all as a result of Neale being off his game.
The difference in whole team attitude defensively and intensity from game 1 against the Swans and the game in Round 5 against Essendon, was Starc.
I agree Starc has been the difference.

Comeback Lions

Premium Platinum
Jul 2, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sydney Uni Flames
Out: Neale, Gardiner.
In: Matho, Answerth.

Starcevich, Adams, Lester
Rich, Andrews, Answerth

McCluggage, Lyons, Robertson

McCarthy Daniher Bailey
Cameron Hipwood McStay

Foll: O'Mac, Zorko, Matho

Robinson, Prior, Birchall, AhChee

Medical Sub: T.Berry
Answerth listed as groin TBC on our injury list, so he won’t be playing. Jarrod Berry as test, so he might well be back. Ten out injured is our worst run for a while and makes it hard for the twos.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Missing 5 of our best 22, and with several sore bodies like Andrews, Robinson & Lester. Will be huge if we can come up this week.

1619595604640.png

lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
Bit more optimism everyone. We shouldn’t be favourites but we are right in this. On our home deck, could be wet weather so could play well for us.
I would also say we’ve had one extra defender last few weeks. So Gardiner out gives us a chance to see if that is the case. J Berry is still in the mix.

we got unlucky taking on the swans round 1 with their young hungry team and the team was asleep behind the wheel. We were unlucky against Geelong. (That call by the ump is up there for me as bad as the Aussie Jones out on the full that was called a behind in 2004, could’ve finished 1st and not 2nd that year).

Port took on eagles in round 3 and the eagles style of play with their tall forwards worked in their favour. If the boys aren’t as sore as we think they could be and are up and about to prove themselves without Neale we are right up there.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Missing 5 of our best 22, and with several sore bodies like Andrews, Robinson & Lester. Will be huge if we can come up this week.

View attachment 1113616

22 players don't win premierships.

Squads win premierships.

:D

Edit: Given where we currently stand I'd happily take a 50% win ratio between now & when Lachie comes back. We have a pretty favourable run in the back quarter of the season and have the last 5 of 7 games at home. Ideally, you'd want that run pushing for a top 4 spot, but if turns out it's pushing for a top 6 spot, so be it.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only one out of the twelve tipped us this week.
And it wasn’t Mike Whiting.
Not surprising really.
Port's only loss is to Eagles away
Bookies price Port $1.77 Lions $2.13
Being at The Gabba increases our chances of winning
Both teams finished equal top after the H & A season so should be a good contest
For me it's a 50/50 game.
Hopefully we get a good start and don't allow they to get back in the game

Not surprising really.
Both teams finished equal top after the H & A season so should be a good contest
I am Tipping Zorko to have 30+ possessions and kick 3 snags.
If Matho comes in, he will have to play the game of his life because they have a very strong midfield.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
More worried by Gardiner's absence than Neale to be honest.
Yes me also. I actually think Lester, Birchall and Rich are too slow for those nimble and fast Port small forwards, so I think with Gardner out (Payne and Answerth injured), Lester will probably take Georgiades who is about the same height, but has a good leap. That might mean we can replace Gardner with some speed.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
22 players don't win premierships.

Squads win premierships.

:D

Edit: Given where we currently stand I'd happily take a 50% win ratio between now & when Lachie comes back. We have a pretty favourable run in the back quarter of the season and have the last 5 of 7 games at home. Ideally, you'd want that run pushing for a top 4 spot, but if turns out it's pushing for a top 6 spot, so be it.
I believe we can very likely win 3 of the next 6, even 4 if we win on Sat. We are a little fortunate with the draw as we play both Port and Richmond at the GABBA, much better than at Adelaide or MCG. The Freo game in Perth looms large IF we lose this week.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
Over the past couple of years we have done well against Port due to their small backline as of late. But if Alir is there and in his usual form, this will be an issue.

Not surprising really.

I'm not confident about our starts.

I'm sure if I looked at figures and facts my paranoia be about being slow at starts would ease, but facts aren't really necessary on BF.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Saturday 1 May
Summary Min 17 Max 23. Showers, Possible rainfall: 10 to 20 mm Chance of any rain: 90%
Brisbane area
Cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm. Light winds becoming southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day then becoming light during the evening.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Cockatoo has a way to go yet. Still building confidence in his body. You can see he is not exploding out of the blocks when he takes off. Thinking he may be under instructions. Looked better in the centre than across half back.
Not exploding out of the blocks was the knock on Cockatoo last year at Geelong. He was medically cleared and playing the practice games, but seemed to have lost that confidence in his body to go at it like a bull at a gate, which is his strength. I hope he can regain his confidence, but it might take some time.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No photos of Berry at training today but he did post a photo on Insta with Cam Rayner so maybe still in the rehab group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back