Review What’s Going Wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

3-3 isn't all bad I guess its the way we lost and the injuries to certain players that is frustrating.
- use a pick in the mid season draft. Someone that doesn't play the way we play. A kamikaze inside mid or a run and carry player with pace and a good kick
- Stop playing too tall and effectively one short when a second ruck plays. Sorry Waterman or Brander.
- bring in BBBW and let it known he there to throw his weight around and be a battering ram against the other ruck. Make life easier for Nic
- goes without saying but be campaigners
- give Dom Sheed an absolute rocket. Playing like a privileged campaigner.

End of Season
- have a mini clean out like the end of '17. Lean on the side of cutting as opposed to retaining. Ainsowrth, Hutchings, Ah Chee, Foley, Vardy, Venables (if he isn't up to contact work at seasons end), Johnson, Langdon all in the firing line
- Load up on picks, try and get lower and more picks in the 30.
- attack a 2-3 mature agers dominating state leagues
- look at bringing in some young talent from other clubs
- get an assistant or two from outside WA with no connection to the club
Any midfield talent left in the Wafl clubs...?

Edwards gets a reun before any WAFL wannabes. We need class not ass.
Cool your jets big boy!...just asking IF there is any other midfield talent left in the Wafl clubs, outside of eagles supposed class..coz you know, we've been seeing a lot of class lately right?

Last edited:
We have a couple of problems though;

1. Simmo hasn't changed the game plan. I have no issues if he tries something else. If he gets it wrong, I'm fine with that too. But if you're saying it could take up to 4 years to change a game plan - I wouldn't think so. Clarkson transitioned to a ground breaking and complex game plan. We'd be transitioning to an easier gameplan and have seasoned players who could pick it up quickly.

2. How much longer can this group go for? Our forward line has years (Darling, Allen, Ryan, Rioli). Our backline has years (Barrass, Gov, Shepperd, Duggan, Rotham). But the midfield. Shuey is post 30 and has recurring soft tissue injuries. Yeo and Kelly have a few years yet. Sheed's and Gaff are b-graders. Because we've been in the window and traded picks out for Kelly, we don't have much in the cupboard. That makes it hard to extend the window or do a mini rebuild.

We can replace most of the players going out - JK, Cripps, Hurn. But keeping that midfield competitive with top 4 teams is going to be hard.

Then there's the NicNat issue. Playing under duress? Carrying too much weight? Not fit enough? Mentally fatigued?

Agree that we are nicely stocked with backups in quite a few positions - some who have come along faster than expected. It's a bit of a shame they aren't in the position we have sacrificed to build up that depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back