Certified Legendary Thread The Medical Sub blunder - What the hell?

I just really want help out the kids in the SANFL... feel I can have more of an impact there... just don't want to leave them without any senior leadership... think it really helps their development to play alongside some senior heads

I'd love to be sub I really would, I just want to do the best thing for the club though

From a selfish point of view I could go sub and be closer to AFL action... but it's not about me. Club first all the way.

<a week passes>

What's that? Hamill injured? Gee... and I play a similar role how about that. I was in pretty good nick Saturday actually come to think of it.... 24 touches not that I was counting... in the best players too.

I don't know whether to laugh or get angry at this post.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah it was dumb, but it was nothing as well. I completely agree no kid should be sub. Its MacKay or Lynch for me, every game. Perhaps occasionally Kelly.
Just on this, I don’t think it’s detrimental for any inexperienced kid to be a Sub for one round. They get to experience larger crowds, see how quick the game is in real time, and they might also experience some game time. These aspects all might help to give them some motivation to train harder to become AFL regulars.

You can then rotate the Sub to give all kids an experience at it for one round, so they can still play out an entire footy season minus just one Sub round. Won’t be much of a loss at all.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just on this, I don’t think it’s detrimental for any inexperienced kid to be a Sub for one round. They get to experience larger crowds, see how quick the game is in real time, and they might also experience some game time. These aspects all might help to give them some motivation to train harder to become AFL regulars.

You can then rotate the Sub to give all kids an experience at it for one round, so they can still play out an entire footy season minus just one Sub round. Won’t be much of a loss at all.
Kids want to and need to play games even if it’s SANFL nothing gained as a sub

Hence why I said they must have data which indicate his sore toe isn't affecting how he is covering the ground since all this "treatment" does is numb the toe so you can run and not feel the soreness, this doesn't affect his marking, kicking and handballing. Whereas for Sandiland being such a big man you would think even with a jab on his sore toe this would affect his covering of the ground so in the end was rule out of the season with tuff toe since this affected his performance to cover the ground (backup by data) as he normally does. Lynch was already struggling with form and he has been not his best since a few years ago.
I’m sorry, but blind Freddy can see his toe IS affecting Lynch’s performance.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kids want to and need to play games even if it’s SANFL nothing gained as a sub
One game missing for the season is really going to hinder a kids progress? Players get injuries or niggles all the time, and missing 1-2 games for a season is quite common.

Or we can look at past Sub players eg. Lyons. Does being a Sub really impair their potential? But overall, there’s no doubt Mackay would be the most appropriate Sub for us. I just think being a Sub for one round isn’t really doing much harm in the overall scheme of things.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you think Sandilands should have stopped playing before he was ruled out for the season?

I understand some medicos will say ' ehh keep playing till it breaks then we can fix it '' - some say rest will prevent operations and long stints

This is my concern with Lynch - are we flogging him now because we know he needs surgery so do it as late as possible?
Depends, doctors have said there are some injuries were you can play with treatment and doing this doesn't make the injury worst and allow them to naturally heal when you are resting in between games, this is usually when you have a sore toe since there is no affect on the bone or ligament.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m sorry, but blind Freddy can see his toe IS affecting Lynch’s performance.
Not really, his form has pretty much been consistently sh*t from the start of this season even before he was unable to train after the North game.

1619600303415.png

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I doubt that is the case.

But I reckon Lynch and Mackay should alternate each week as sub.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Not in so many words but it is very much what Nicks implied. We couldn’t have a fully fit Mackay because he found it physically and mentally draining. So Dmac is effectively limiting his exposure to the role. I think it’s total bullshit, but it’s Nicks who opened the barn door on that.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
At least we know Nicks has bought into the crows culture.

In seriousness though, the main disappointment is the incapacity to admit a complete fcuk up.

Mistakes are ok. Not ideal, but part of life.

Not owning up to them, and not learning from how you dealt with previous mistakes (especially very recent and destructive ones) how to man up to the next mistake, is not so ok.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just really want help out the kids in the SANFL... feel I can have more of an impact there... just don't want to leave them without any senior leadership... think it really helps their development to play alongside some senior heads

I'd love to be sub I really would, I just want to do the best thing for the club though

From a selfish point of view I could go sub and be closer to AFL action... but it's not about me. Club first all the way.

<a week passes>

What's that? Hamill injured? Gee... and I play a similar role how about that. I was in pretty good nick Saturday actually come to think of it.... 24 touches not that I was counting... in the best players too.

I remember Thommo on AA saying how frustrating it was not being selected about 3 days after he cracked 25 touches the first time about 5 games into the SANFL season. How we welcome back selfish ingrates like him and Sauce is beyond me.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you think Sandilands should have stopped playing before he was ruled out for the season?

I understand some medicos will say ' ehh keep playing till it breaks then we can fix it '' - some say rest will prevent operations and long stints

This is my concern with Lynch - are we flogging him now because we know he needs surgery so do it as late as possible?

There’s not a single valid reason to play an under duress Tom Lynch. Not one. But they have ‘experience’ and ‘continuity’ as the first 2 boxes to tick each week at selection.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did anyone hear Smithy on 5AA tonight? He talked about the sub being exhausted after the game because they are constantly warming up , then cooling down, warming up, cooling down etc. I think that was the gist of it?

so that’s more exhausting than playing 80% of 80 minutes? Why do subs do an after game session when they haven’t been activated then Brodie?

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
How has this gotten to 27 pages?

Seems like a massive non-issue. They desperately didn't want to waste a week of development that a kid might get in the SANFL by having him freeze on the bench in Launceston, so they gambled on putting a barely-fit senior player in as a sub.

Obviously ended up being a dumb decision, and was a gamble they lost.

There you go. A mistake, who cares.
Am I the only person that finds all this amusing?

It was in the best long term interest of the AFC to lose to the Hawks. My heart wanted Keays to kick that goal but my head said, “Quality Tanking Ben”.

My concern wasn’t naming Lynchy as the medisub, it wasn’t the optics of him sitting on the bench reading the racing guide, it wasn’t him casually searching for his socks, it wasn’t him barely touching the ball when activated. My only concern was the possibility of losing our draft pick.

Surely the smart move would have been to make Chase the medisub (after playing in the Twos). He looks fantastic in the warm-ups, he would be eager to get into the action and there would be little chance of him screwing our draft pick.

Post 546 is what we’re all here for boyos

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Not in so many words but it is very much what Nicks implied. We couldn’t have a fully fit Mackay because he found it physically and mentally draining. So Dmac is effectively limiting his exposure to the role. I think it’s total bullshit, but it’s Nicks who opened the barn door on that.
Yet another position he was no good at.

Back