Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

You have to laugh at the absurdity of the PM’s outrage about the 4x $5,000 Cartier watches while those within his Government spent $30,000,000 on a parcel of land valued at $3,000,000.
Thats a $27,000,000 overpayment.
Or in ScoMo terms, 5,400 Cartier watches!
And not one person has been sacked or shamed in Parliament. Not one....

There’s a theory that the Cartier watches thing was created as a distraction from the Sydney Airport debacle.

There’s a theory that the Cartier watches thing was created as a distraction from the Sydney Airport debacle.

What a ridiculously outrageous thing to say about our magnificent political leaders who represent us with the utmost integrity....they would never stoop to such low standards

Sorry, how did I have a go at Kennedy? He has been a great servant of the club (except when he told all and sundry that we had secured Lockett). I was merely questioning why another long-serving VP seemed to avoid your opprobrium?

Think you over-estimate the "CV boost" for someone like a Waislitz. Sounds to me that the bottom line is you don't like him because he has money?

I just stumbled on this while I was searching for something. I thought you might be interested

“Ending extreme poverty is not a choice, it's an obligation. My hope is that it will inspire many thousands of people around the world to do what they can to improve the living standards of those in dire need," Chairman and Founder of the Melbourne-based Waislitz Foundation, Alex Waislitz.

treacle....

More likely they want to privatise the parcel service in australia post and hollgate is against it. Plan is probably to sell it off to "mums and dads" a la telstra at a bargain price so that the mums and dads can make a nice profit off our parent's hard work in building the business, and then the mums and dads will go down to the ballots and vote accordingly....a la the howard/costello campaign strategy.

I just stumbled on this while I was searching for something. I thought you might be interested

“Ending extreme poverty is not a choice, it's an obligation. My hope is that it will inspire many thousands of people around the world to do what they can to improve the living standards of those in dire need," Chairman and Founder of the Melbourne-based Waislitz Foundation, Alex Waislitz.

treacle....
Meh, once again, is your problem that his award is too small or that it has been created at all?

You want him off the board, good for you. Feel free to go for it. But knocking someone for setting up a charitable trust? Really? Rich people are people too.

More likely they want to privatise the parcel service in australia post and hollgate is against it. Plan is probably to sell it off to "mums and dads" a la telstra at a bargain price so that the mums and dads can make a nice profit off our parent's hard work in building the business, and then the mums and dads will go down to the ballots and vote accordingly....a la the howard/costello campaign strategy.
Good imagination. For your homework, do some research on Holgate, and Fahour as well, at Aus Post. They were (rightly) doing everything they could to find alternate sources of income (like the banking move). The biz that was founded on "parent's hard work" was the postal service. A monopoly on an industry that is now dying. Not good IPO material.

i had to stand in the shower for 15 minutes after my recent post about waisltiz, before i felt clean....
Good imagination. For your homework, do some research on Holgate, and Fahour as well, at Aus Post. They were (rightly) doing everything they could to find alternate sources of income (like the banking move). The biz that was founded on "parent's hard work" was the postal service. A monopoly on an industry that is now dying. Not good IPO material.

the reason governments provided monopoly services is because the private sector is too gutless to risk their own dollars. we have an economy in australia based on digging holes and providing education to overseas students ....and other "certainties". Even those two areas have been heavily subsidised via government infrastructure. Guys like waislitz just suck the cream off the top.... excuse the mental images those words might paint.

in the end, i'm ambivalent about holgate although she has already said that her mind is on other things, so I see no reason why she remains on the board..... but i'd prefer the spotlight went onto waislitz... on the simple basis that when it's time to clean the kitchen, i get rid of the most grubby bits first.

i had to stand in the shower for 15 minutes after my recent post about waisltiz, before i felt clean....

the reason governments provided monopoly services is because the private sector is too gutless to risk their own dollars. we have an economy in australia based on digging holes and providing education to overseas students ....and other "certainties". Even those two areas have been heavily subsidised via government infrastructure. Guys like waislitz just suck the cream off the top.... excuse the mental images those words might paint.

in the end, i'm ambivalent about holgate although she has already said that her mind is on other things, so I see no reason why she remains on the board..... but i'd prefer the spotlight went onto waislitz... on the simple basis that when it's time to clean the kitchen, i get rid of the most grubby bits first.
The typical reason governments provide services are because they are seen as essential. That "gutless" line is patent nonsense.

I don’t think they will, but wouldn’t rule it out yet.
You would think that it's become irrelevant whether buckley can regenerate the team. If a new president goes with buckley, the pressure will continue and the president wont want that.

If we get a new coach, the media and the fans will take a breath for a year - maybe - depending on the credentials of the new coach. I think the new president will want that time.

The other advantage of moving buckley along is that the assistants will go and I think that is more of a problem. In fact, it's easier to completely rejig the footy dept if buckley moves on.

Graham Wright needs to do a presentation to Korda and Anderson of the comparative talent on the suns and pies lists and help explain why we are definitely not contending and are in fact rebuilding
Hopefully we can get it through their thick skulls eventually

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was out painting and it occurred to me that buckley would be my preferred president ... in fact, if i was a powerbroker at the club, I would asking about his longterm plans. I think that he's streets ahead of any other person as a possible president.

Buckley wants to continue as coach in 2022, he has no plans to step down.

He also said he wants what is in the best interests of the club which suggests that if he's given the tap on the shoulder, he'll step aside as he's previously indicated. Does lay to rest some of the claims he's disinterested and just going through the motions.

He also said he wants what is in the best interests of the club which suggests that if he's given the tap on the shoulder, he'll step aside as he's previously indicated. Does lay to rest some of the claims he's disinterested and just going through the motions.

if people watched the press conference, they would see it for themselves and believe what he says....well of course they might think buckley is tricking people and lying to keep his job....and of course, there will be many "passionate pie fans" who will go on believing that..

Good imagination. For your homework, do some research on Holgate, and Fahour as well, at Aus Post. They were (rightly) doing everything they could to find alternate sources of income (like the banking move).

There was a lot of outrage over Fahour’s remuneration package ...

... but I don’t begrudge what an executive gets paid if they’re worth that to the business ...

... what was more outrageous IMO is that he thought turning Australia Post offices into $2 junk stores would be a sustainable and appropriate business model. That bloke had all the imagination of an accountants convention.

People seem to forget that it only became a "mismanagement" because the club chose to change tack. A move from "retain the list" to "refresh the list". I'd imagine we could have retained all of Stevo, Treloar, and Phillips if we'd wanted to. It would have meant a continuation of the status quo, close but not close enough. Someone else likely would have had to fall out the other side but that's what happens at every club. So what you're saying is that he (along with the remainder of the board and the FD) oversaw the management of the "retain the list" paradigm and then the transition to the "refresh the list" under the added complication of reduced lists. Is that such a bad thing?
If we could have kept those three then we should have held out for better deals.

There was a lot of outrage over Fahour’s remuneration package ...

... but I don’t begrudge what an executive gets paid if they’re worth that to the business ...

... what was more outrageous IMO is that he thought turning Australia Post offices into $2 junk stores would be a sustainable and appropriate business model. That bloke had all the imagination of an accountants convention.

My experience with Ahmed is that when you scratch the surface you find more surface. But his corporate career has been genuinely extraordinary.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have a right to call out your bullshit. You can ignore it as well.

Say something different other than "Eddie's Ass Kisser" or "Dictator Eddie". Your posts are not constructive to the discussion.

Don’t try to gaslight the bloke protesting you dictating what he can’t or can’t post.

“Either say something constructive or say nothing.“

if people watched the press conference, they would see it for themselves and believe what he says....well of course they might think buckley is tricking people and lying to keep his job....and of course, there will be many "passionate pie fans" who will go on believing that..

I've always found Bucks to be honest so I have no reason to not take what he says on face value. That he wants to go on in no way confirms he will. I'm not overly concerned with what others might think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back