Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The way I see it Betts, Murphy and Levi don’t give a toss about fighting for the jumper and playing an intense, tough brand of football. They aren’t the Dangerfield, Selwood, Pendlebury, Mundy type veterans. Put the kids in who will come in and fight for the jumper. The three aforementioned Blues players have had their time. Now it’s time to play them in Round 22 as their farewell.

Paywalled so I'm not sure what it says but it comes with these attached.

"For the season, Sam Petrevski-Seton has had 77 kicks. It’s hard to believe how many of them have been short. Check out all Robbo’s likes and dislikes from Round 6."

View attachment 1112014

What maximum distance is it counted as a short kick, says all kicks on the weekend just gone we’re short but SPS laced a minimum 35-40 metre kick in the second half on the weekend.
Made note as:
A. Was a cracking kick to a lead up forward
B. Went significantly further than his normal dinks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brereton on Sen basically we are very kind at selection on our veterans said no one in Hawthorn was gifted games dropped one dropped on 98 games for grand final another just short of 200 games.

Link here

Please sign him up
I really think that's a Teague thing. He relies on his stoppers being able to stop and to fling the ball back the other way. He'll set things up behind a stoppage but not behind general play, and he relies on the quality of the defenders to stop whoever they're on.

So, does bringing Leppitsch to Carlton and having him suggest this to Teague only to have Teague say, "I see what you're saying, but..." and then go on to list how doing this would put the midfield or the forward line behind the 8 ball really achieve anything?

It is hardly a tweak changing from a man on man defence to a zonal defence. To do it now will cost us more than what it is worth.

For the moment we need to be aware of not getting sucked into an overlap or out of position and let the opposition ball carrier continue uncontested while the defence maintains discipline and mans up. It may not always work but it will be more effective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just hyperbole based on us putting out one of the oldest teams in the comp weekly. Another way of saying our old guys aren't providing anywhere near enough. Hardly bullshit, fairly well discussed on here.
You take out Betts and Murphy and our average age would drop significantly. Plus with players like Fisher, TDK, Martin, Silvagni and Parks all to come back in the next few weeks this will drop further.

Anyone disagree with any of that?

Jones was a big culprit of shocking positioning.

The number of times Stocker was matched up on Hipwood at a centre bounce was frustrating.

Any chance Jones could stay with his man when the other team is getting a run on?

He does some great things but at other times is like a headless chicken trying to recover form bad positioning and then over-commits and falls over. Often.
Nothing to disagree with. Nathan Brown summed it up perfectly that we are disorganized and that mainly is about coaching group issues. It is just frustrating it is like groundhog day to see same mistakes by coaching group in team set up, selection, and structure time and time again.

David King had some good thoughts on moving Saad to the wing and Williams to HB on SEN this morning, actually made sense to see what could happen. Solves 2 issues if it worked!
Williams should be half back most of the time. Meanwhile Stocker should not be deep in defense, again....
So many players that should be developed in the positions they were drafted for have not been developed in those positions. It is just nuts.

Anyone disagree with any of that?

Jones was a big culprit of shocking positioning.

The number of times Stocker was matched up on Hipwood at a centre bounce was frustrating.

Any chance Jones could stay with his man when the other team is getting a run on?

He does some great things but at other times is like a headless chicken trying to recover form bad positioning and then over-commits and falls over. Often.
I don't have an issue with what they're saying, at all.

What I'd like to take issue with is the Ch.7 coverage either side of that Zorko goal. Wide shot, close shot that is too close, wide shot behind the kick; we cannot see jack s**t around who was in the vicinity, whether someone was covering Zorko and got blocked, if Zorko was on his own or otherwise.

It's easy to make the case they're making when the footage you use doesn't actually show anything remotely resembling enough detail to dispute it. One of Zorko or Neale usually has Curnow pinned to their jumper, and Neale had just taken the mark, so where the * was Ed?

Coverage has been ordinary for a while, and it's getting worse. I'd be willing to deal with a 2-5 minute delay if it meant the coverage was superior.

Williams should be half back most of the time. Meanwhile Stocker should not be deep in defense, again....
So many players that should be developed in the positions they were drafted for have not been developed in those positions. It is just nuts.

Williams came to Carlton with the promise of midfield time. I was not convinced on the back of a single game he would be a consistently great midfielder.

I think him returning to the position in which he was elite in can only help out the team.

Saad, Williams, Docherty, Newman are all pretty offensively minded back men not sure we can fit them all in defense when fitting and firing. All can run and carry though perhaps at differing speed.

Saad would be a great winger would be great at folding back to help out defensively, perhaps something to consider when Newman is back in the team. I would give it a month or so and if not working then shift him back.

I also think we need to give LOB a block of 4-6 weeks if isn't holding his place on the wing at the end of that.....

I reckon these "gun" half backs simply dont have the tank to be an 80% mid or wing
Probably some truth to this. Though wing is a different role structurally in attack & defence to HB. It's not as though they're the same position just slightly further upfield.

But for some guys stamina might be the deciding factor, for sure.

Williams came to Carlton with the promise of midfield time. I was not convinced on the back of a single game he would be a consistently great midfielder.

I think him returning to the position in which he was elite in can only help out the team.
I am fine with 10 minute bursts in midfield but normally he should be half back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back