Universal Love Gus and Gawn

Remove this Banner Ad

Figured the podcast needs a bit of love and a discussion space. They’re taking a hiatus this week which is fair but I reckon they’ve missed an opportunity, would get huge traction after the Richmond win.

That’s not very #positivelingers of me though, so let’s hope for a huge 7-0 celebration episode next week

Gus may be genuinely funnier than Max. I would normally rather eat nails than listen to footballers talk but this is definitely worth a watch weekly.

Huge call for Jonesy to say in last week’s episode that Max is the best he’s ever played with. That’s a huge compliment to Maxy given some of the guys Chunk played with in his early years, but he seemed quite sincere about it and even doubled down at the end.

Interesting how two guys drafted just four years apart can have such different experiences. Both had some pretty decent times in their first two years at the club but Gawn actually barely played in his first five years and even though he played 13 games in 2013 he probably wasn’t suffering quite like Jonesy was who played basically week in, week out and essentially seen as our talisman in that period for much of 2006 - 2014 before Gawn really established himself and we improved every year from 2014 - 2018. Now Max will hopefully get to really ride the wave at the back end of his career as he seems to keep getting better with the team, and Jonesy is really in ‘last hurrah’ days.

Yeah I've gone fully nuffy and listen to it every week.

They're actually pretty good to listen to.

Can't wait till Langdon eventually goes on the podcast after being taken to Attica to make it happen (Don't think Gus and Gawn understood how expensive Attica was when they signed up that deal)

Can't wait till Langdon eventually goes on the podcast after being taken to Attica to make it happen (Don't think Gus and Gawn understood how expensive Attica was when they signed up that deal)

Reckon they can afford it

Huge call for Jonesy to say in last week’s episode that Max is the best he’s ever played with.

Like who?
Anyone who was good on our list was essentially cooked by 2007

Yze, White, Neitz, Robbo were all finished.
Bruce was basically done.
Tj was off

The only 2 that were still around were Green and Davey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like who?
Anyone who was good on our list was essentially cooked by 2007

Yze, White, Neitz, Robbo were all finished.
Bruce was basically done.
Tj was off

The only 2 that were still around were Green and Davey
How can you be forgetting guys like Tom Couch, Isaac Weetra, Josh Tynan and... Tom Gillies?

I agree with you though, no one in the last 15 years has influenced games consistently like Max has. The early noughties group played their best footy pre-chunk, or guys like Green didn't get to Gawn's level. Gawn's an MVP winner and 4-time All-Australian.

I think it's the podcast that keeps Gus in the team. He's good for morale and team unity. It's not his form that keeps him there.
Lmao that's the main reason I don't want him to be traded.

I’ve only watched one episode but he’s clearly a likable guy. Gawn and Nate obviously love him and you’d assume that would carry some weight.

Hes still a very talented player but it seems like he will only ever thrive as a pure inside midfielder. 2018 showed that and when he had to go back into the middle last year he didn't lose a step. He sacrifices a lot to sit on the wing. As long as we don't have a better option than him I'm happy for him to play that role but I highly doubt we will keep our current team structure for the whole year.

You just generally don’t force players out for less than what they’re worth unless they’re having a negative influence on the group. Plus the coaches have always seen Gus as having other strings to his bow, even if posters on BigFooty don’t lol.

How can you be forgetting guys like Tom Couch, Isaac Weetra, Josh Tynan and... Tom Gillies?

I agree with you though, no one in the last 15 years has influenced games consistently like Max has. The early noughties group played their best footy pre-chunk, or guys like Green didn't get to Gawn's level. Gawn's an MVP winner and 4-time All-Australian.
1619579851902.jpeg

Lmao that's the main reason I don't want him to be traded.
Yep, and it's justifiable to keep him around because of that. Probably shouldn't always be selected to play though. Maybe injury sub sometimes. He's part of the group as a sub. But it's hard to say, you can't really quantify his effect on the group - he's one of those mates-with-everybody types who might be worth a few goals even with no possessions.

Yep, and it's justifiable to keep him around because of that. Probably shouldn't always be selected to play though. Maybe injury sub sometimes. He's part of the group as a sub. But it's hard to say, you can't really quantify his effect on the group - he's one of those mates-with-everybody types who might be worth a few goals even with no possessions.
"Best Clubman"

Gus is the glue guy.

See his post match interview from Saturday, the bloke lives and breathes Melbourne Football Club.

He’s still adjusting to his role and is going to make a few posters in here look silly when he does take the next step with his footy.

Watts was as popular as their has been at Melbourne and they gave him the flick and we made a prelim lol
Yeah but that's because he was allegedly able to get pills for all the young blokes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back