2021 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe Essendon is only at 60,000. This is about -11,000 Vs same time in 2019.

Probably on track for only 65-70,000 at best which means it hasn’t recouped its members lost post COVID (~15-20,000 lost).

The timing of COVID in March last year at a critical point of high renewal intake, coupled with very low expectations and a frustrated and disillusioned fanbase the drivers of these declines.

I suspect the club has written off 2021 given the above and will rightly focus on trying to fix the football club (again) before actively trying to relaunch a member recruitment program in 2022.

They were saying on the PA at half time yesterday that we are 39,000 and something... think she said 100 away from 40k.

Hawks snuck past 70k a week or two ago. Will end up around 75k I reckon. not bad.
Clubs are all different with their selling patterns. Essendon traditionally sell more of their memberships in season. Essendon are at 71,000, their CEO still holding some hope of getting close to 80,000 this year still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie said on footy classifieds that as of today Collingwood have just ticked over 80,000 members
Sounds more realistic.
Question more broadly, do clubs with AFLW teams count these memberships on top of the AFL club memberships?

Reason I ask is this is a tweet I got today directly from a Collingwood’s membership office which makes me wonder.

If so, no wonder the likes of Essendon and Hawthorn want teams in this comp so it’s an even playing field in terms of auditored membership figures.

The_Wookie do you know? 7A13A4FE-E238-48C6-A9D1-E5CD96636AB9.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds more realistic.
Question more broadly, do clubs with AFLW teams count these memberships on top of the AFL club memberships?

Reason I ask is this is a tweet I got today directly from a Collingwood’s membership office which makes me wonder.

If so, no wonder the likes of Essendon and Hawthorn want teams in this comp so it’s an even playing field in terms of auditored membership figures.

The_Wookie do you know?View attachment 1131998
I am pretty sure they do for all clubs yes but I could be wrong

Sounds more realistic.

We have been told that they only count AFLW memberships that aren’t double ups with AFL.
So this members who have AFLW only are counted as members towards the count but not those who are members of both.

Sounds more realistic.

I'd say that "audited membership figures" would come in pretty low on a list of reasons Hawthorn and Essendon want AFLW teams

I'd say that "audited membership figures" would come in pretty low on a list of reasons Hawthorn and Essendon want AFLW teams
Of course.. However membership figures are a key metric used by clubs when selling themselves to prospective sponsors, especially when benchmarking themselves with are competing clubs in a contested market.

That’s interesting. Another reason why we need to be a little wary of comparing club membership figures as in some instances it’s not comparing like with like.

wafl memberships are not that high as well.I think all clubs would have 1,500 to 2000 members max. If peopl have taken out a afl and wafl membership it only counts as 1 member so in reality it does not really effect the total at all!! I think in stead of people looking at totals it is total membership revenue which is the most important stat to look at

Official Membership numbers from this season have been released

West Coast 106,422
Richmond 105,084
Collingwood 82,527
Essendon 81,662
Carlton 81,302
Hawthorn 77,079
Geelong 70,293
Adelaide 60,232
Port Adelaide 56,532
St.Kilda 55,802
Melbourne 53,188