Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In The Mix: Round 7
Chris Scott reveals which players are in the selection mix to play Sydney

GEELONG is set to make at least one change to its Round 7 team that will take on Sydney at the SCG on Saturday night with Mark O’Connor ruled out with a hamstring injury.

Speaking at Wednesday morning’s press conference coach Chris Scott revealed there as a host of names in contention for a call up this week.

“There is a pretty good field that we would be happy to play that’s for sure,” Scott said.

“Mark O’Connor has been playing more midfield so if you look at those guys.”

“Jordan Clark has missed a bit of footy by virtue of being the sub, but he has been kind of the next guy in.

“We are yet to make this decision as a collective yet but in my mind that doesn’t preclude him from playing this week.”

“Quinton Narkle, Charlie Constable, Max Holmes are the other guys that I think are really putting their hand up for that midfield position. They would be the main guys.”

Jake Kolodjashnij is also in doubt after being subbed out with a knee issue in Geelong’s 97-point win against West Coast.

“We are still not exactly sure where he is at the moment. Probably unlikely this week but we are hopeful it’s not too serious.”

One of the names Scott floated as a potential replacement could be Zach Guthrie.

“We have a couple of guys that have been playing at VFL level that we think can play at the level.”

“Zach Guthrie has played some good footy for us for a period of time as a back.”

“I wouldn’t say that we have a plethora of backs, but we have some guys that have played back but we are choosing to play in other spots at the moment. If Kolodjashnij doesn’t come up there’d be a reshuffle for sure.”

Geelong’s VFL team had a convincing 130-point win against an AFL Academy side last weekend.

Other Cats that impressed and could be in the mix this week include Darcy Fort, Sam Simpson and first-year Cat Nick Stevens who were named in Geelong’s best.

Reading comments from CS ..... does this sound like he thinks we have enough backmen? Doesn't sound like ZG will be getting cut either ..

On tall options ..my bet is there are lots of options out there that the club knows about ... but I remember on this board a few years ago.. plenty were saying we should look at Sam Taylor to replace Harry ... so having all the options doesnt always mean the best outcome.

On Sam Taylor. .. He has a younger brother coming thru. Maybe worth keeping an eye on if he is anything like his brother.

I suspect though like any young players he would be a few years away from being ready. A more ready option is probably more likely if we need someone. Considering the age of Henderson and Blitz and we are not playing anyone young and tall in the backline ..we will probably need to bring someone that is ready to play.

Imagine if we drafted player because their younger brother was going alright at U16 level

Imagine if we drafted player because their younger brother was going alright at U16 level

Not quite with you Lana ... sort of like drafting the elder selwoods cause Joel was killing it u16's? Not advocating anything like that.

I think most clubs would keep an eye on younger brothers.... draft them ... I suspect they will have to show something themselves. Taylor is and playing well in the colts but how that stacks up ..id say we are more likely to look at a player thats a little more mature.

Not quite with you Lana ... sort of like drafting the elder selwoods cause Joel was killing it u16's? Not advocating anything like that.

I think most clubs would keep an eye on younger brothers.... draft them ... I suspect they will have to show something themselves. Taylor is and playing well in the colts but how that stacks up ..id say we are more likely to look at a player thats a little more mature.

Just a thought that occurred to me, how younger brother can get free exposure and attract a bit of hype. Just thinking it be funny if it happened in reverse.

It be interesting to see if being a younger brother of an established AFL footballer makes you underperform relative to your draft position.

As a team drafting a player I don't see the advantage, IMO value at the draft comes from information asymmetry, having some inside gos that lets you more accurately value a player.

I’ll firstly ask if your Carla? Lol
Anyway, on a Facebook group years ago I posted the teams.
I got yelled at and told on multiple times that it wasn’t my job to announce that teams.
Carla does that.
Like honestly who gives a sh*t

I haven’t said a word on there since, just use the laughter emoji on comments

I can promise you I'm not Carla

Just a thought that occurred to me, how younger brother can get free exposure and attract a bit of hype. Just thinking it be funny if it happened in reverse.

It be interesting to see if being a younger brother of an established AFL footballer makes you underperform relative to your draft position.

As a team drafting a player I don't see the advantage, IMO value at the draft comes from information asymmetry, having some inside gos that lets you more accurately value a player.

Not sure. I suspect there may be a few academy type that under perform this year. I doubt to many clubs will be encouraging their players to be stars ..when they lose access if the players a rR1 picks..

They currently need points for Daicos, Future picks are always nice to have.

You may be right on points watching DKing talk on 360... they maybe around 1500 and need 2400 ..although I am not convinced that he goes that early, they may need to add picks to what they have or it will affect the R1 next year ... and if they atticpate a bad year..they will not want to slide from P4 to P8 for example.

Maybe they make a call on someone like a sidebottom , especially if they do not see being in the finals again for 3 or 4 years

You may be right on points watching DKing talk on 360... they maybe around 1500 and need 2400 ..although I am not convinced that he goes that early, they may need to add picks to what they have or it will affect the R1 next year ... and if they atticpate a bad year..they will not want to slide from P4 to P8 for example.

Maybe they make a call on someone like a sidebottom , especially if they do not see being in the finals again for 3 or 4 years

Do you think Collingwood would potentially consider trading someone like Grundy to one of the SA teams if either were still interested?

Potentially free up some salary cap and gain some valuable pick/s in return

Do you think Collingwood would potentially consider trading someone like Grundy to one of the SA teams if either were still interested?

Potentially free up some salary cap and gain some valuable pick/s in return
I think both SA sides are pretty set for rucks. Grundy is a big improvement but probably better to spend your draft and trade tickets elsewhere

Watching Footy Classified tonight, Ross Lyon briefly noted that we offered our R1 draft pick for Tom De Koning last year. Maybe anticipating Stanley’s retirement (rumours here suggesting end of this year). I know he’s contracted to Carlton until end of 2023, but wouldn’t discount us having a crack at him again at end of 2022. Also a bonus we have his younger brother and possibly suggests that we don’t see SDK becoming a ruckman (I know he’s played DF in u18 only). Very interesting

Watching Footy Classified tonight, Ross Lyon briefly noted that we offered our R1 draft pick for Tom De Koning last year. Maybe anticipating Stanley’s retirement (rumours here suggesting end of this year). I know he’s contracted to Carlton until end of 2023, but wouldn’t discount us having a crack at him again at end of 2022. Also a bonus we have his younger brother and possibly suggests that we don’t see SDK becoming a ruckman (I know he’s played DF in u18 only). Very interesting
Not a generalisation that we were chasing but a real and distinct offer made?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood maybe a team open to swap picks. They have an absolute cracker in Daicos, a touted no 1 pick. They could be open to moving out of their 1st round pick.

I think someone on here mentioned we tried to do some sort of deal...

I like that we offered it. Think based off his form in the AFL and his size that it's going to take a bit more than that to get him out.

Interesting tidbit from Ross though. I like hearing that kinda inside info.

Also raises the question - if we offered that then I assume that he was open/wanted to get to Geelong. Something I didn't really think as he's at a traditional Melbourne club with a big support base

Collingwood maybe a team open to swap picks. They have an absolute cracker in Daicos, a touted no 1 pick. They could be open to moving out of their 1st round pick.
Yeah I think we could swap our late 2nd for their future 2nd maybe. Probably ends up around 20-25 and we will be hitting some serious retirements next year. They get their future Rd 1 in its rightful place, we get a delayed pick upgrade. Depending on what they see next years draft being.

I suspect some backline players who have to balance defence and attack can find it difficult. Our great players seem to do it so easily that we probably under play that skill. When to go for the mark , when to punch. Then there is the in play stuff. Blitz has given us a look this year of a smorgasboard of dumbness , a feast of mistakes that in some ways are difficult to critise for. The tackles on the line , he obvious has the deliberate rushing a point on his mind. Then against the Eagle he added a poor pass. How would Sav cope under that type of duress?

I think time and patience has allowed Henry to advance himself , I still feel he looks his best when he is using his talents to be offensive. Ideally a player with some of Savs athletic talents merged with Hendersons nous and steadiness. I guess we could try him there but I suspect he would always struggle ina high pressure situation.

His best talent is mark and jump. What ever uses that to its best. I suspect they see him as Hawkins replacement. A "Bomb it long to Snake Sav type deal has some appeal.
I always thought Dasher Milburn was the absolute master of the one on one spoil to his own advantage.

Yeah I think we could swap our late 2nd for their future 2nd maybe. Probably ends up around 20-25 and we will be hitting some serious retirements next year. They get their future Rd 1 in its rightful place, we get a delayed pick upgrade. Depending on what they see next years draft being.

Something like that is possible... I just wonder if they decide to really start to turn their list over and trade players out and keep their picks. Despite my preference, a club like Geelong may look at 3 years froma mature runner like Sidebottom. Id say he is a similar age to when we brought Jack Steven.. its just about trade cost.... and Colling wood could probably be persuaded to take a higher pick if they keep his dollars type deal.

Its all just speculation but they are probably stuck with a few players.. there are only a couple that probably worth something as a trade.

They already did, haha - to GWS last year (which is looking to be in the 4-8 range at this stage). Complete lack of foresight on their part. At least we traded ours knowing that we were getting in 3 guns, not getting rid of 3.

Could have got a lot more then they did had they held onto it this year, rather than just thinking they would automatically make finals, and so the difference wouldn't be that much.

Looks now like they gave up a Top 10 pick (possible Top 5 pick) for a couple of picks in the mid 20's. Tsk tsk, absolutely flailing as an administration down there.

They already did, haha - to GWS last year (which is looking to be in the 4-8 range at this stage). Complete lack of foresight on their part. At least we traded ours knowing that we were getting in 3 guns, not getting rid of 3.

Could have got a lot more then they did had they held onto it this year, rather than just thinking they would automatically make finals, and so the difference wouldn't be that much.

Looks now like they gave up a Top 10 pick (possible Top 5 pick) for a couple of picks in the mid 20's. Tsk tsk, absolutely flailing as an administration down there.

You may have a point, I am not sure why they chose to trade it last year. Id have hoped they we would have offered one of our R1's last year for the collingwood R1 as with the trade out players most thought they would struggle.

But the fact is... future trade are a form of gambling. We did it last year to get Holmes. If we had a poor year this year with injuries and miss the finals then it would "potentially" make us look silly. Holmes coming so quickly has taken the heat out of it imo. He looks potentially a top10 pick ..but we will not know till he is 22 or so. Jack Henry looks a lot better than a rookie now. J Galluchi taken in that draft at 15 not so much, 8 players taken in the main (including us taking House) never played a senior game ... so time will tell on Holmes.

If they do finish in a position where they have given away a top 5 pick, they potentially have cost themselves a gun kid. It's possible that Dacios gets a bid but there are other kids as well. They have chosen their path good luck to them.

Of more interest to me is what we do with the picks we have. Current 24 and 26... I suspect that will balloon out a bi. FSon and academy will move it out 2 or 3 places, and Ess look reasonable. Having two picks in the 30 is possible.

Henry has signed on:

Geelong young gun Jack Henry has put pen to paper on a new deal with the club. The three-year contract extension will see Henry remain a Cat until the end of 2024.

Selected by Geelong at pick 16 in the 2016 rookie draft, Henry was elevated to the club’s senior list the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back