• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

It would take a huge sacrifice from Kelly. $8M on the table. Even if another club offers something huge like $900k over 6 years, that's walking away from $2.6M. He'd need to go to a club with cap space and the ability to make him hugely marketable off-field and post-career (big team, probably Melbourne market) to justify that.

I guess this is where we hope all that cap discipline pays off and we can justify to the playing group that even though he'll be on the biggest contract at the club, he's taking a big sacrifice. Pump $1.2M-$1.4M in him over the next 2 years and then smooth it out on the back. It's possible if GWS really don't want his contract and back themselves with Hopper, Green, Cogs, Taranto, Bruhn etc.

It's consistent with our strategy. Use cap space to take on existing risky bad contracts with upside (Scully, Patton, Phillips, Scrim).

why do we need to justify anything to a playing group as it currently stands.

there would be a heap of players earning great wedge (over and above what they are worth) at the minute based on our list.

Asking players to sacrifice a bit when you are competing for flags every year is a whole different story.

Has bailey Smith signed ?? Or with the right offer be attainable . Form has slipped abit playing a more outside role , I feel like he wants to be in the middle but with libba,dunkley,mcrae,bont and now treloar he has been pushed out . One player I'd hope we would throw the sink at .
Bailey Smith is contracted till 2022 and with Dunkley out injured Smith will be playing in the middle. I have always had this feeling at some point that you guy’s will come knocking

Bailey Smith is contracted till 2022 and with Dunkley out injured Smith will be playing in the middle. I have always had this feeling at some point that you guy’s will come knocking
We'd be silly not to. I think with how our list is tracking 2023 will be the next year we make a real shove towards top 4/pushing for prelims and I think he could be one of the last pieces of our midfield puzzle.

We'd be silly not to. I think with how our list is tracking 2023 will be the next year we make a real shove towards top 4/pushing for prelims and I think he could be one of the last pieces of our midfield puzzle.
I would hate to lose Smith he is already a star at such a young age

in all honesty if the plan is to come knocking and he wants to come to us, you may as well strike while our draft hand is as hot as it's ever been. You might be able to get yourself pick 2 and a Jack Gunston out of the deal as an example. Much better than 3 years from now where it might be two first rounders both mid or later rounds.

Are people hanging their hat on the fact that Bailey Smith used to be a Hawk supporter as a sign he would be interested in joining Hawthorn?

Worked well with Whitfield so.........
not at all hanging my hat on it, just simply pointing out that if it was ever gonna happen Doggies would never get a better deal than now.

Are people hanging their hat on the fact that Bailey Smith used to be a Hawk supporter as a sign he would be interested in joining Hawthorn?

Worked well with Whitfield so.........

Fingers crossed he is great mates with CJ from school days (6mths apart) and one day they made a pact together to play AFL in the same team 😴 I know

Not sure this belongs here or in draft thread but Tyson Stengle. I know he’s an undisciplined head case but sometimes being axed is the kick in the bum immature players need to realise it can all be taken away from you in a moment.
Last thing we would want to do would be to introduce a player like that to our club. A player like can very well influence a number of young players to go off the rails.

It’s an awfully huge risk for very little reward. Last thing we need is to foster a drug culture.

Not sure this belongs here or in draft thread but Tyson Stengle. I know he’s an undisciplined head case but sometimes being axed is the kick in the bum immature players need to realise it can all be taken away from you in a moment.
Hmmm after Patton?

Bold move when we're just getting over the hissy fits from the hubs.

Nah he’s had 3-4 major indiscretions already. Let some other sucker team take a punt on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What were they? DUI was one I think
Drink driving, caught in possession of an illicit substance just to name a few (along with Brad Crouch). Was also caught another time pictured in front of a plate of an alleged illicit substance. Talent alone is not enough and the kid obviously needs to sort his of field life out first. Unfortunately he seems to be going down a similar path to Dayle Garlett.

Drink driving, caught in possession of an illicit substance just to name a few (along with Brad Crouch). Was also caught another time pictured in front of a plate of an alleged illicit substance. Talent alone is not enough and the kid obviously needs to sort his of field life out first. Unfortunately he seems to be going down a similar path to Dayle Garlett.

Shame. I reckon he’d go ok for us.

Hmmm. Could GWS be pushing him out the door?

They've already removed him from the midfield mix this year.

If he were at Hawthorn, I'd be playing him in the guts. He's an absolute gun.

Slightly younger than Burgoyne I think when we got him and we love left footers. Is he a FA or would it have to be a trade. Would walk into our midfield and we have the cap room.

I'd rather us offer some coin to get an immediately helpful midfielder across, or take some picks to the draft. Kane Farrell doesn't really make us an immediately better team, mainly bolsters depth which is less our issue. We need a quality player who doesn't need to be inside to have impact, but can rotate inside and give us different looks.

Kelly, Merrett or Cerra for mine. Maybe Dow if he's coming cheapish and is tired of being dropped by Carlton.
We need both. The entire List quality needs to be improved.

We need both. The entire List quality needs to be improved.

The entire list quality needs to be improved? So that means we should be chasing some half back flankers, to complement our other 20 of them.

Look Tops, I understand you're very passionate about this but deals don't get made in isolation and taking the "oh the entire list quality needs to be improved" reasoning and picking up bit part players like Farrell, before having a potentially better player come available, is kinda like filling up on appetizers before dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back