Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Wondering if Lyon is coming in as a senior assistant or head of footy next year
Problem is, he's 'linked in', as he himself has said. He has connections to SOS, and might have a few more we don't know about behind the scenes. It's fairly well known that he wouldn't mind coaching again.

I don't mind the idea of that appointment, but I really do not want to give the factions an in-house opportunity to undermine Teague any more than they already have. If things go awry and he's in the coaches box, it makes it the simplest thing in the world to turf Teague for Lyon.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Would he have been at Carlton when Murphy was selected?
No way Ross Lyon was at Carlton when Murphy selected.
Ross Lyon and Josh Worsfold were assistants at Carlton around time Parkin was in his last few years of coaching.
Lyon probably was at Swans when Murphy got drafted.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
No way Ross Lyon was at Carlton when Murphy selected.
Ross Lyon and Josh Worsfold were assistants at Carlton around time Parkin was in his last few years of coaching.
Lyon probably was at Swans when Murphy got drafted.

Yeah 2000-2004 so might have been involved with Simmo's selection Lol

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Problem is, he's 'linked in', as he himself has said. He has connections to SOS, and might have a few more we don't know about behind the scenes. It's fairly well known that he wouldn't mind coaching again.

I don't mind the idea of that appointment, but I really do not want to give the factions an in-house opportunity to undermine Teague any more than they already have. If things go awry and he's in the coaches box, it makes it the simplest thing in the world to turf Teague for Lyon.

There are benefits and downside to the appointment of Lyon

As a senior assistant, it could undermine Teague, as the HOF, it gives Teague a great sounding board, while ensuring protocols and standards are consistent

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Just watched the teague presser -- he said when you take out those older players you often lose that winning culture -- our older players would have as bad a win loss record as any players in AFL history .. but making guys earn games I'm not against - but he keeps going on about our defence but keeps playing the same culprits .. I thought we finished the year last years badly and put it down to COVID hub we had a lot of quarantine - maybe it deeper than that.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Just read the AFL article on Teague and what the team needs to do.

Generally in agreement with what Teague said however disagree on him not believing in "making a statement at selection".

For mine it doesn't have to be wholesale changes but if he wants his plan executed better, Murphy for one should be dropped and tbh that alone would almost satisfy anyone demanding a "statement".

He needs players that work hard without the ball and Murph has never done that.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I dunno if the ‘blue baggers podcast’ read this thread, if you do; I have enjoyed listening to your episodes while travelling back forth to work this week. Looking forward to this weeks episode,,, whenever it drops 😁

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Perhaps the Woosha appointment is rushed/temporary PR move because we're planning on letting Ross fill that position fulltime next season once his media commitments are fulfilled?

Speculation for sure, but it makes sense to me.
I don't see Ross Lyon playing second fiddle at this stage of his life -- I know balme did ..But Ross looks refreshed and hungry to smell the liniment again

GenYBlue

Seeking #17
May 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't see Ross Lyon playing second fiddle at this stage of his life -- I know balme did ..But Ross looks refreshed and hungry to smell the liniment again
I agree, but if there's no senior gig on offer?

I could see him taking a matured approach and swallow his pride to stay involved in the game at a competitive level

Perhaps the Woosha appointment is rushed/temporary PR move because we're planning on letting Ross fill that position fulltime next season once his media commitments are fulfilled?

Speculation for sure, but it makes sense to me.

I suspect he is there as part of a review on the assistant coaches.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree, but if there's no senior gig on offer?

I could see him taking a matured approach and swallow his pride to stay involved in the game at a competitive level
He better off making big money media for a few years if a club job interest him take .. he still has good currency in media -- so unless a big job to fulfil his dreams I can't see him sitting in the background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back