Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Jacks value to the team, his marking and kicking is a feature. Pace will only get better with fitness.

The thing that impressed me the most about the crows game, was his attitude. Could of simply given up, or give away dumb frees like Hartigan / Frost when there losing. Instead he held his head high, battled on and contributed to our win. This man is all class and an will be an important part of our team for years to come.

Jack will never be able to play as a key defensive tall. It’s simply not in his make-up.

He was playing third tall on an 18 year old kid in his first game and was obviously shown up in one-on-ones.

TOB to defence had to happen and it gave Scrimshaw what he wants, freedom to attack.

He isn’t fit enough to play regular midfield, and having coached him 5 seasons ago, I can confidently say he isn’t a natural “grinder” who will work hard to get everything he can out of his body. It’s simply not the way he has been raised or treated growing up.

So you need to understand what you get here. Talent? Yes. Physicality? No. Intensity? Variable.

Jack will never be able to play as a key defensive tall. It’s simply not in his make-up.

He was playing third tall on an 18 year old kid in his first game and was obviously shown up in one-on-ones.

TOB to defence had to happen and it gave Scrimshaw what he wants, freedom to attack.

He isn’t fit enough to play regular midfield, and having coached him 5 seasons ago, I can confidently say he isn’t a natural “grinder” who will work hard to get everything he can out of his body. It’s simply not the way he has been raised or treated growing up.

So you need to understand what you get here. Talent? Yes. Physicality? No. Intensity? Variable.
Interesting. I said earlier that he’s a good player, who could be better than good. I take it you think he’s someone who won’t push himself to get the absolute best out of himself?

Interesting...

Interesting. I said earlier that he’s a good player, who could be better than good. I take it you think he’s someone who won’t push himself to get the absolute best out of himself?
Has never had to work his bum off to be in the best handful because he always had that natural talent. Polar opposite to Andrew McGrath BUT Scrimshaw’s ceiling is arguably higher. He just needs the right motivation to stop cruising as a footballer.

Until he makes that choice himself he will always be a 90% effort /short cut player. Which is good enough to be a regular in our team.

Hopefully he learns from Hardwick and his mate CJ, who have both taken their games to the next level after getting super fit.

Correct. If he did, he’d be a borderline A grader in our team

Has never had to work his bum off to be in the best handful because he always had that natural talent. Polar opposite to Andrew McGrath BUT Scrimshaw’s ceiling is arguably higher. He just needs the right motivation to stop cruising as a footballer.

Until he makes that choice himself he will always be a 90% effort /short cut player. Which is good enough to be a regular in our team.
What's his best eventual position? Wing or midfield?

What's his best eventual position? Wing or midfield?
Honestly - wing is part of the midfield in modern football. Outside midfielder is his spot. I’d play him as a roll back 7th defender who can intercept mark to help out the back 6. Would obviously start on a wing and play mid third and back - akin to a WD in netball

They're some big calls.

What makes you think that he could never gain the fitness to play midfield? If you did coach him, it was 5 years ago, after all. He definitely had some injuries which held him back in his junior days,He's had a far few running sessions since then!

What you say about his work ethic might explain why the club haven't selected him at every opportunity, maybe indicating to him that he needs to work harder to become an automatic selection.

But then again we're having this discussion about Scrimshaw, who wouldn't be copping any blame from the coaches about being caught out on a bigger opponent. I don't think Scrim has any tickets on himself as a KPD. It was a total mismatch and Clarko spoke about our lack of preparedness for their talls after the game, and basically said that we misjudged it at selection. Jack is having a good season, and power to him. Hope he proves you wrong.

Honestly - wing is part of the midfield in modern football. Outside midfielder is his spot. I’d play him as a roll back 7th defender who can intercept mark to help out the back 6. Would obviously start on a wing and play mid third and back - akin to a WD in netball
Doesn't have the fitness for inside mid but should play on a wing?

A few here on BF have it in for this kid, but I'll back him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't have the fitness for inside mid but should play on a wing?

A few here on BF have it in for this kid, but I'll back him in.
Defensive wing who doesn’t have a role of running hard forward when we have the pill. Provide defensive cover for the likes of CJ when he goes on one of his maniac runs forward. Float back to half back and sit there unless you opponent is getting used regularly by the opposition.

They're some big calls.

What makes you think that he could never gain the fitness to play midfield? If you did coach him, it was 5 years ago, after all. He definitely had some injuries which held him back in his junior days,He's had a far few running sessions since then!

What you say about his work ethic might explain why the club haven't selected him at every opportunity, maybe indicating to him that he needs to work harder to become an automatic selection.

But then again we're having this discussion about Scrimshaw, who wouldn't be copping any blame from the coaches about being caught out on a bigger opponent. I don't think Scrim has any tickets on himself as a KPD. It was a total mismatch and Clarko spoke about our lack of preparedness for their talls after the game, and basically said that we misjudged it at selection. Jack is having a good season, and power to him. Hope he proves you wrong.

Is that right? I thought when he has not been selected was because of coming back from injury or niggle, and he's had a fair few, not as some message that he needed to work harder.

Anyone got the inside line?

Iirc the only coach I know of publicly commenting on Scrimma before has been Lloyd (who said he was one of the best kicks he'd ever seen), so I can only assume you are him. Well done on your turn around and realising Hawthorn are the best team to support and I'm sure the rest of your life in servitude getting players onto our list will make up for what you did to poor Sewell.
I'm really hoping the revalation of Cj will make him up his game too.

I think it’s just starting to click for him and we have an absolute ripper. 22 years and finally getting some consistency in footy and training, remember his time at gc was basically a waste...

I would imagine his base is 2 years off being at a really strong standard but the more matches he plays the better his game is getting. Tilthorpe was a horrible mismatch and he got some average support.

for the time being I would like to see him cement his spot in the back 6 and we bloody need some trusted disposal their. If he can work hard forward in attack but still defend it would mean cj,impey and scrim all become tougher match ups together

I think he's a decent young player but I'm not sure he has that A grade potential like I initially hoped. Obviously isn't KPP size, doesn't have the explosion to play midfield. Is however a decent Flanker in the Ryan Burton type variety.
Scrim has played 32 games. Far to early to judge potential, even though what we have seen has been very positive.

Very rare do players burst out of the blocks like day.

Defensive wing who doesn’t have a role of running hard forward when we have the pill. Provide defensive cover for the likes of CJ when he goes on one of his maniac runs forward. Float back to half back and sit there unless you opponent is getting used regularly by the opposition.

Clarkson is a fan of two way players must be able to attack and defend. 5 years is a long time, especially in your early teens. Unless you are still in his life your simply taking an educated guess about his behaviour now. Just wait until Scrimshaw is fit, we will see his best.

Clarkson is a fan of two way players must be able to attack and defend. 5 years is a long time, especially in your early teens. Unless you are still in his life your simply taking an educated guess about his behaviour now. Just wait until Scrimshaw is fit, we will see his best.
I have got a few contacts at HFC - they confirm this. Anyhow, hopefully he knuckles down now he’s back in the team and works hard to improve. He’s got the talent to stay there, he just needs to put the shoulder to the wheel to become integral. If he succeeds, we will all be happy. 🙃

I have got a few contacts at HFC - they confirm this. Anyhow, hopefully he knuckles down now he’s back in the team and works hard to improve. He’s got the talent to stay there, he just needs to put the shoulder to the wheel to become integral. If he succeeds, we will all be happy. 🙃

If DGB develops into our primary key defender, can you imagine a future back line of:

HB: Day - Sicily - CJ
FB: Hardwick - DGB - Scrimmers

If DGB develops into our primary key defender, can you imagine a future back line of:

HB: Day - Sicily - CJ
FB: Hardwick - DGB - Scrimmers
Hopefully, Day can start to spend more minutes on the wing/mid, as he matures, where we could really use his skills.

I think Frost can play the role of the strong, fast stopper, even in a good team, with those other good users of the ball beside him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back