Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We should be throwing coin at Day
I'd be leaning towards Stephens (Sydney). We do need potentially classy midfielders, and really, Syndey is looking like they'll morph into a pretty scary unit in the near future. Seems rather doable at this point in time.

This. Have to capitalise on the vibe now. This reminds me of another club. A history of player retention issues. Lots of high picks walking out. Backs against the walls. But then they found a core group of kids to build around. The right people/characters, the right culture. And they all stayed. Smart recruiting - picking up an undervalued inside ball winner for virtually nothing (Lyons - us with Keays). And then they picked up Neale. Now Daniher. There's no reason to think that can't be us, and a club that was once considered the opposite of a destination club becomes just a little bit more homely for those chasing a seachange.

Day would be unreal. Kid has something special. But he'll cost the world in a role we probably don't need.

Stephens makes much more sense. Local boy. Hasn't been given a run at it. Players have gone past him from within a bit unexpectedly. I don't think they expected Gulden/Campbell to be what they've been when they drafted Dylan, nor Blakey a wingman. The emergence of Warner and Rowbottom and the resultant push of Florent to the outside. Not to mention the small dimensions of the SCG being the opposite of what a player like Stephens craves. Not sure where his 'in' comes from. And we'd love someone like that.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought he would bail for sure. Nothing to do with his body language though. It was simply the safer bet given the club's atrocious record at player retention over the years. With Worrell and McAsey re-signing, both vic metro boys, we now have some concrete proof that the club is turning it's culture around and players want to be here. This means I'll need to take a less cynical view or risk getting caught out like those w***ers in the Vic footy media.
The question is how atrocious is our record compared to other clubs really? Especially recently. I mean who was the last player we lost that we didn't actively push out or receive fair or retrospectively overs for in compensation?

Dangerfield? That was 2015. And players like Gunsten, Davis, Bock, etc I don't think should even be considered in the discussion anymore, they were upwards of 3-5 regimes ago. When are we as a fanbase going to stop banging those tired old drums?

On that point I think we should institute a new rule when talking about player retention, if the player never played a home game at Adelaide Oval (2014) then they no longer belong in the modern AFC player retention discussion. Call it the Footy Park rule!

Last edited:
The question really is how atrocious is our record compared to others really, especially recently. I mean who was the last player we lost that we didn't actively push out or receive fair or retrospectively overs for in compensation?

Dangerfield? That was 2015. And players like Gunsten, Davis, Bock, etc I don't think should even be considered in the discussion anymore, they were upwards of 3-5 regimes ago. And mean when can we stop banging those tired drums?

On that point I think we should institute a new rule when talking about player retention, if the player never played a home game at Adelaide Oval (2014) then they no longer belong in the modern AFC player retention discussion. Call it the Footy Park rule!

McGovern stands out in that regard. I highly doubt we wanted to lose Cameron or Lever either. Just got put into a bad position due to how mismanaged we were with our cap with made them gettable with relatively big offers.

I don't think there is a standout case post-2018 that wasn't just us in a "sell everything that isn't nailed down for whatever we can get" mode.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
McGovern stands out in that regard. I highly doubt we wanted to lose Cameron or Lever either. Just got put into a bad position due to how mismanaged we were with our cap.
We received 4 x 1st round draft picks for those 3 players combined. Charlie hurts, but in the end I think we did well on all 3

Last edited:

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
This. Have to capitalise on the vibe now. This reminds me of another club. A history of player retention issues. Lots of high picks walking out. Backs against the walls. But then they found a core group of kids to build around. The right people/characters, the right culture. And they all stayed.

I thought you were talking about the Mighty Ducks when I read this...

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stepover

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh no!!!! Who is BF going to go hysterical over now???

Surely there is a player who has a Vic girlfriend, or has land in Vic, or went back for a holiday, or liked a Vic Tourism social post, or was seen reading the Herald Sun, or who hasn’t
signed and only has 5 years of their contract left? .... surely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Large 1

Club Legend
May 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I thought he would bail for sure. Nothing to do with his body language though. It was simply the safer bet given the club's atrocious record at player retention over the years. With Worrell and McAsey re-signing, both vic metro boys, we now have some concrete proof that the club is turning it's culture around and players want to be here. This means I'll need to take a less cynical view or risk getting caught out like those w***ers in the Vic footy media.
*Past performance is a poor indicator of future outcomes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams
I am pleased that McAsey has decided to stay. As many have said it gives us a chance to develop him further. But the best thing I take out of this is that the club is becoming a place where players are willing to stay. This is a massive turnaround compared to the past couple of years. Getting his signature was important for the club and its members.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
How is Fish looking against others in his draft round? I see most of those names are showing something - I can see him developing into something really good.

1619673470121.png

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Media: "Almost certain to request a trade home"

Fischer McAsey himself: "I always felt that I wanted to re-sign here" [...] "I didn't really feel that much of an urge to go home"
I reckon it was just his dad's health that may have seen him go home.

Vic draftee out of contract with a sick parent back home.

Media jump on that like vultures.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back