Racing April Daily Punt: Delayed by a week due to bad weather

Remove this Banner Ad

If it does dilute the quality, do the ones previously too dour come into contention?
Eg. Goodwood cup winners

class alone against our scrubbers says so IMO

If it does dilute the quality, do the ones previously too dour come into contention?
Eg. Goodwood cup winners

Not sure those are necessarily the types that will be better suited. The new vetting procedures will mean the older brigade are less likely to travel for mine particularly if its a smaller stable who can't risk sending something down here that wont even line up. The Aus Bloodstock types will take a hit too which is probably a net gain.

The ones who will probably be able to deal with it better are your 3yos, Lloyd and the big O'Brien/Appleby stables which is pretty much business as usual for what to look for

New rules prob mean there wont be any

Could be a high end Jericho this yr

Nah that's a solid overreaction - there were still be plenty that come. If anything you just won't get the second stringers that have to qualify to get in at aren't good enough to win anyway.

Eg. Goodwood cup winners

Not sure how it will dilute the quality - if anything it may boost it, at least in terms of the ones that make the field - the bad horses are the ones that have to come and run here first to get in. Those that were too slow in the past are still going to be too slow - this doesn't change anything.

The only change I can see is that some horses will come to local trainers first to avoid Werribee (admittedly a negative for those as almost all go backwards under local trainers). Most of the horses that have run well in recent years will be the types going to Werribee and will still run well.

Oz Bloodstock will just bring their no hopers over early rather than running them to get beat 10 lengths in top races in Europe and calling them superstars.

If anything - in trying to save public face over the Cup what these rules really do is gut international participation in races outside the cup.

If I was PVL - I would seriously consider running a Spring Tancred at WFA over 2400 somewhere in their program to attract those that miss out on the Cup field/get rejected under the new Racing Victoria rules.

Actually now that I think about it - what stops any of the raiders quarantining in Sydney to circumvent all the RV rules? :D

Last edited:
Excellent article here

I guess RV seems to have no idea that pretty much the only advantage it has over NSW racing these days (well apart from track surfaces) is that it attracts far more top level international horses - give that up and they risk falling further and further behind their much more innovative northern neighbor.

Excellent article here

I guess RV seems to have no idea that pretty much the only advantage it has over NSW racing these days (well apart from track surfaces) is that it attracts far more top level international horses - give that up and they risk falling further and further behind their much more innovative northern neighbor.

This x1000

I think the issue with all of this is that they’re saying it’s for the horses benefit etc, when in reality it’s being driven by (slowly) moving towards a product that will resonate with the largest % of the public.

I’m not a vet so it’s hard to comment on this change. But clearly everyone on this forum understands the whip debate and a majority would lean towards keeping it, however we all know in 5-10 years it’ll practically be gone.

Excellent article here

NSW has been the superior jurisdiction for probably 2/3 years now. The gap will only continue to grow with these newly released mandates concerning the Melbourne Cup. Only petty Victorians can’t see how good of a job V’Landys is actually doing

Favorite backers after the first at Wangaratta

tumblr_inline_o6caz2XKCQ1ttbdeg_540.gifv

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Betfair's new Early Betting Rebate initiative takes off:

View attachment 1114166
This would be awesome. Have always found when l;aying that the early bettors are the stupid bettors that will take ridiculous prices about false faves.

In the next at Wyong Isorich is at an insane price. Won 7 out of 15 at Wyong and won a similar race 3 starts ago from the same barrier. Will race on paex. Each way bet to nothing . $21 on the TAB at the moment

In the next at Wyong Isorich is at an insane price. Won 7 out of 15 at Wyong and won a similar race 3 starts ago from the same barrier. Will race on paex. Each way bet to nothing . $21 on the TAB at the moment

Not sure how track is playing today but when he won their last time it was a dead set greyhound track with one of the most insane leader biases I’ve seen

Is it based on the time of your last bet on the race (i.e. if backing/laying multiple runners)
The way I read it is that it is per individual bet based on placement time regardless of when it gets matched pre-race:

What happens to my bet?

The bet does not have to get matched during the qualifying time frames outlined above, however, it must be placed during the qualifying time frame. The offer is applicable on all ANZ races during the trial period. Note – BSP bets or bets matched in play are not eligible for commission rebates.

Betfair will endeavour to credit the rebates daily at, by, or around 10pm each day.

So if you win on any qualifying bets you receive a rebate of the commission paid, deposited into your account at the end of the day, which makes sense as it won't muck up your positions while trading as at that time your market rate is unknown until the race results.

Last edited:
This would be awesome. Have always found when l;aying that the early bettors are the stupid bettors that will take ridiculous prices about false faves.

It is great if there's some volume there taking your price but find if you put up a good volume everyone else wanting to lay it piles in it ends up out 3pts in matter of mins. Drip feeding some small volume into early lays works but would just rather back the winner (if I can find) early. So hopefully it can change that but feel it would just be the big guys settling the market much earlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back