Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

The court will hear from Roberts-Smith’s former comrades in the SAS and, dramatically, Afghan civilians who are expected to testify to the allegations against him.

I've heard 12 former members of his unit will testify or have given written testimony against him. It isn't one or two guys with a personal grudge against him.

Dame Quentin Bryce, the former governor general who pinned Roberts-Smith VC to his chest on the Queen’s behalf in 2011, will give character evidence in his support, the court heard.

Knowing him from an afternoon tea at Government House? The elite (Howard/Abbott and Pell) love to stick up for each other don't they?

edit: I've just read an article on the trial that states 20 former SAS are going to testify verbally or in writing against BRS as part of 9's defence. BRS must've had a habit of doing illegal s**t in front of a lot of people and then pissing off those people to the point they were willing to testify against him in court.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

mooloman

Debutant
Apr 2, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

Had to happen. There'd be a lot of people at Seven who wouldn't want to work with him given what he was recorded saying, let alone what he's alleged to have done.

What does 'leave' mean?

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Anyone want to put their hand up for drinking buckets of delicious ANZAC-branded "Kool-Aid"?

Pretty obvious from the beginning that this guy was a psychopath and the testimony relating to his "acts of valour" were about as reliable as the cameras the AFL use for their goal review system.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Anyone want to put their hand up for drinking buckets of delicious ANZAC-branded "Kool-Aid"?

Pretty obvious from the beginning that this guy was a psychopath and the testimony relating to his "acts of valour" were about as reliable as the cameras the AFL use for their goal review system.
Or in civilian terms, he is just a common variety Murderer

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Or in civilian terms, he is just a common variety Murderer
Not sure I agree on this one actually. I'm fairly certain this guy has a personality disorder: delusions of grandeur, a lack of empathy and remorse. He clearly exploits people for his own benefit and is obviously a massive liar- though it wouldn't surprise me if he genuinely believes he's done nothing wrong.

It's a massive indictment on our Australian Forces to award him a medal of honour.

Last edited:

mooloman

Debutant
Apr 2, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure I agree on this one actually. I'm fairly certain this guy has a personality disorder: delusions of grandeur, a lack of empathy and remorse. He clearly exploits people for his own benefit and is obviously a massive liar- though it wouldn't surprise me if he genuinely believes he's done nothing wrong.

There's something severely wrong with this guy. And it's a massive indictment on our Australian Forces to award him a medal of honour.
Some of the traits you mention are commonly shared with your garden variety serial killer. Just saying

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

It's a massive indictment on our Australian Forces to award him a medal of honour.

There in lies the problem. He gets the VC, public adulation, unquestioned respect. When Yumi Stynes made a joke about him she was blasted from all sides. This is in addition to the general being put on a pedestal that the military is, and especially special forces.

BRS doesn’t have “delusions of grandeur”, he is portrayed and viewed by the public as grandeur.

Who would’ve thought if you worship at the feet of these people and place them on the highest pedestal possible that eventually they would believe they are above the law and can get away with anything?

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

Far less putting their hands up these days:

Trends were showing a declining interest before Covid. Sure, the baseline was the 100 year anniversary in 2015 but we we’re told the anniversary would spark a long term interest in Anzac Day and attendances would remain permanently high. They haven’t.

Why? I don’t think the expose of war crimes has played a role, that’s only happened recently. Maybe wider society is just disengaging from the day altogether. Less WW2 veterans around in recent years especially. Changing demographics. I’m sure I read an opinion poll a while back that showed Anzac Day (or maybe both Anzac and Australia Day) are seen by the majority as just another public holiday rather than a patriotic event they need to mark.

I can’t say that the expose of what really happened in Afghanistan and how the most “elite” part of the military really acts is going to spark revival in the day.

Far less putting their hands up these days:

Trends were showing a declining interest before Covid. Sure, the baseline was the 100 year anniversary in 2015 but we we’re told the anniversary would spark a long term interest in Anzac Day and attendances would remain permanently high. They haven’t.

Why? I don’t think the expose of war crimes has played a role, that’s only happened recently. Maybe wider society is just disengaging from the day altogether. Less WW2 veterans around in recent years especially. Changing demographics. I’m sure I read an opinion poll a while back that showed Anzac Day (or maybe both Anzac and Australia Day) are seen by the majority as just another public holiday rather than a patriotic event they need to mark.

I can’t say that the expose of what really happened in Afghanistan and how the most “elite” part of the military really acts is going to spark revival in the day.

Just my guess:

1) reduced number of WW2 vets able to attend

2) backlash in some towns to family members marching (strong preference for some for it to be vets only in the march)

3) the day being hijacked by the southern cross tat brigade

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
There in lies the problem. He gets the VC, public adulation, unquestioned respect. When Yumi Stynes made a joke about him she was blasted from all sides. This is in addition to the general being put on a pedestal that the military is, and especially special forces.

BRS doesn’t have “delusions of grandeur”, he is portrayed and viewed by the public as grandeur.

Who would’ve thought if you worship at the feet of these people and place them on the highest pedestal possible that eventually they would believe they are above the law and can get away with anything?

Wouldn’t it be more about having to dehumanise humans so you are able to do your job and cope.

Schneebly11

Cancelled
Apr 7, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
And that coping leaves many with PTSD and depression, some leading to suicide.

One of the soldiers who blew the whistle on war crimes he himself had a part in covering up, Kevin Frost, took his own life. Dusty Miller, former SAS medic, suffers PTSD from guilt for failing to stop war crimes he saw committed.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reminds me of the first Borat movie at the Rodeo where he says "I would like to congratulate patriotic Americans on your war of terror"

This is atypical of nations with a colonial mentality where in their minds, they are bringing civilisation/peace/democracy to barbaric lands but in reality, they are doing exactly what the taliban, al qaeda are purportly doing. I do not pay tax to fund childkillers. This Ben Robert Smith needs to be given the harshest penalty and stripped of all award, military rank and kicked out of the military. Him and people like him are complete disgrace to the nation. In fact, the entire SAS needs to be disbanded and australia needs to have a deep cleanout out of the pro-american bootlicker.

Australia is a land to getaway from all the troubles of other parts of the world wherever they maybe. Unfortunately, the supposedly representatives of the people pull out all stops to drag aus back into conflict with other nations and some far more powerful than australia. USA today is no longer the post WW2 hegemonic USA that could stamp out all opposition through the might of their economy, technology and moral superiority.

I cannot stop but laugh at stupid aussies politicians wanting to stand up to china. Please, try to stand up to a tsunami, see how you go. In fact, try 3 things, first run at the tsunami (that's what aussie gov is doing), then try standing your ground, lastly try to run along with the tsunami. I wonder which method would give you the greatest chance at survival. That's right folks, Aus can only achieve survival as the best outcome.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of the soldiers who blew the whistle on war crimes he himself had a part in covering up, Kevin Frost, took his own life. Dusty Miller, former SAS medic, suffers PTSD from guilt for failing to stop war crimes he saw committed.

Why are only the foot soliders punished, what about the commanding officers, surely the ben robert smith type can't be doing this on their own...

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hmmm, kicking unarmed elderly men off a cliff, slitting throats of little boys, raping girls/women, this is a conduct of a democratic nation bring peace and freedom to the less civilised nation? If so, * democracy. Aus would do better without a military or at least be like new zealand, i.e. be smart, be aware of the current state of world affairs and not act against the best interest of the nation.

Of course, aussie politicans thinks dragging the nation into an abyss is in the best interest of the nation. Well then...

Last edited:
Back