Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Very happy for him and for us supporters. I've really like what I have seen so far and whilst he may not quite be ready, our shallow list and injury count means we need to roll the dice and have. He will gain invaluable experience and I have a feeling he will not be over-awed. Hope he goes well and feel confident we have a fantastic player for the future in Poulter.
This one isn't even forced by injury. We had no new injuries. This selection debut was by mere performance and choice.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
This one isn't even forced by injury. We had no new injuries. This selection debut was by mere performance and choice.

I like the sentiment Jen but, I just can't agree entirely with it. We have some significant outs and we also traded out 3 mids last year. These combined have created opportunity to play the kids and we are definitely in rebuild mode. That said, you have to put your hand up, Poulter has certainly done that and pushed himself to the head of the queue.

I like the sentiment Jen but, I just can't agree entirely with it. We have some significant outs and we also traded out 3 mids last year. These combined have created opportunity to play the kids and we are definitely in rebuild mode. That said, you have to put your hand up, Poulter has certainly done that and pushed himself to the head of the queue.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I mean from last week to this week, there was no new injuries. We didn't have to debut him this weekend. We could have played the same team as last week. With Murphy/WHE on the wings. But have chosen his form warrants a debut.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
from 8 if you include the rookies.

If this the most debutants we have had in one season?
Had 5 last year. Kelly, Keane, Ruscoe, Tyler Brown, and Lynch.
Also Atu B. in 2020 to make it 6.
Don’t know if this is our record but I always remember 2007 as having lots of debutants: T Goldsack, A Toovey, M Clarke, B Dick, D Nicholls, D Stanley, R Cook, S Cox.
Ben Reid as well in 2007, so that made 9. 10 AFL debuts in 1995 (with 5 in Rd. 1) and 2004 is our highest in the AFL era (1990>). 17 in 1933 and 1987 is our highest ever, leaving 1897 (31) out of it for obvious reasons!

These figures are for VFL/AFL debuts, and don't count club debuts (where a player who had played senior football for another club played for Collingwood). It's worth noting that there are obviously list size restrictions these days, whereas back in e.g. 1987 players could have risen from the thirds and been given a debut. Poulter will make it 5 AFL debuts for the year, leaving us with another 7 untried players on the list. As of right now (pre-Poulter debut), with 34 players on our list (of 42) having debuted, we have the lowest number of any club.

ipswichpies

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2011
queensland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
The basketball thing was a setup for sure but he was able to nail it on que, all net quite impressive.

Last edited:

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The basketball thing was a setup or sure but he was able to nail it on que, all net quite impressive.
Played junior state basketball - all net is no joke - if an outside shooter nails a 3 pointer all net in game he gets heavier attention - because it means he is 'in the zone'.

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking forward to watching him strut his stuff tomorrow. Good luck to him. I hope he plays his preferred position of inside midfielder and isn't stationed in a back pocket!

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I mean from last week to this week, there was no new injuries. We didn't have to debut him this weekend. We could have played the same team as last week. With Murphy/WHE on the wings. But have chosen his form warrants a debut.

Yes agree with this Jen and the form of others means they deserve to be dropped, (WHE).

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not really, Bucks is hopeless at Basketball. Even Blair beat him.
Agreed very few top level talents in any sport are multi discipline sports people.
It takes narrow focus and dedication to reach the top.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Basketball is the exception. Pendlebury played basketball you know.
Perhaps I need to be clearer.

There would be perhaps a double handful of people at any one time that would be champions in two or more elite sports - the time factor alone to reach the pinnacle of multiple sports is daunting.

I know - to an extent - the time and physical expenditure it takes as mum was a state water polo captain (goal keeper), champion long distance swimmer, champion high board diver, state ballroom dancing and highland dancing champion.

Granted not the absolute elite level in all sports but high up and the cost in time and physical conditioning, dietary, loss of work and family time through travelling to distant competitions is absolutely mind boggling up close.

Hard not to like Poulter, and I see a bit of myself in him.

I can appear slothful, lazy, but my intensity at key moments --breakfast, lunch, dinner-- is beyond question.

Poults seems laconic but his competitive instincts are evident when it matters. I saw him pound the turf when one contest didn't go his way, which I thought was petulant and encouraging at the same time.

Wish him well.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hard not to like Poulter, and I see a bit of myself in him.

I can appear slothful, lazy, but my intensity at key moments --breakfast, lunch, dinner-- is beyond question.

Poults seems laconic but his competitive instincts are evident when it matters. I saw him pound the turf when one contest didn't go his way, which I thought was petulant and encouraging at the same time.

Wish him well.
Not petulant at all - he obviously expects better of himself and was very angry at himself for not performing to his expectations.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps I need to be clearer.

There would be perhaps a double handful of people at any one time that would be champions in two or more elite sports - the time factor alone to reach the pinnacle of multiple sports is daunting.

I know - to an extent - the time and physical expenditure it takes as mum was a state water polo captain (goal keeper), champion long distance swimmer, champion high board diver, state ballroom dancing and highland dancing champion.

Granted not the absolute elite level in all sports but high up and the cost in time and physical conditioning, dietary, loss of work and family time through travelling to distant competitions is absolutely mind boggling up close.

I think your random boasting is clear enough :moustache:. and I would know, my mother was a state champion level boaster and my cousin holds the north Heidelberg club record.

Back