Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
If it hits the goalpost and still goes through it’s a goal. Like every other self-respecting ball sport in the world. Ditto for the behind posts.

If only to remove the agony of listening to the likes of BT, Dwayne Russell, Jonathon Brown etc trying to convince us viewers they can/cannot clearly see a deflection on grainy footage that looks like it’s been filmed on a 1997 edition Nokia phone from Level 3 Row QQ Seat 37.

This would also accommodate for the every-growing Michelin Man girth of the goalpost pads.

If it hits the goalpost and still goes through it’s a goal. Like every other self-respecting ball sport in the world. Ditto for the behind posts.

If only to remove the agony of listening to the likes of BT, Dwayne Russell, Jonathon Brown etc trying to convince us viewers they can/cannot clearly see a deflection on grainy footage that looks like it’s been filmed on a 1997 edition Nokia phone from Level 3 Row QQ Seat 37.

This would also accommodate for the every-growing Michelin Man girth of the goalpost pads.
Should also be play on if the ball hits the post and comes back into play.

situationz

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne, Golden State Warriors
What sense does that make, to have a tiny "no score" region sandwiched in between the goal and behind zones?
This rule works in rugby, but that's because either it's a goal or it isn't.

Last edited:
What sense does that make, to have a tiny "no score" region sandwiched in between the goal and behind zones?
This rule works in rugby, but that's because either it's a goal or it isn't.
What sense does it make to award a score for something that didn't pass through the scoring area?

Aug 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool

It doesn't make sense because we have behinds. You can't punish a player for missing by the width of a goal post while at the same time rewarding a miss by metres. It would be a gimmick rather than something that has some logic behind it.

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Alternatively on center bounces, keep them, but if t is a crap bounce then play on. That’s how it used to be and it made the center square a lot more interesting.

I hate when the AFL and AFL media try to create a narrative of which players everyone loves. I didn't give a * about Lenny Hayes and Bob Murphy then, and I don't give a * about David Mundy now, so stop telling me I do.

Nah, that's like saying if the ball hits the rope on the full in cricket and bounces back into play it's not a 4 or a 6.

If the footy rebounds off the goalpost into play it's a behind.
I argue it's closer to hitting the basketball/netball ring or crossbar in soccer and bouncing back into court. As you get the additional chance. In cricket you don't get to run to the boundy and have a second hit.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
I hate when the AFL and AFL media try to create a narrative of which players everyone loves. I didn't give a fu** about Lenny Hayes and Bob Murphy then, and I don't give a fu** about David Mundy now, so stop telling me I do.

I get what you're saying but the timing makes you look salty AF

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I argue it's closer to hitting the basketball/netball ring or crossbar in soccer and bouncing back into court. As you get the additional chance. In cricket you don't get to run to the boundy and have a second hit.

The problem is that in netball/basketball/soccer hitting the post implies an inaccurate kick. No score is a sensible result, as is play on

In Aussie Rules, hitting the goalpost isn’t the same. It is a more accurate kick than a behind, which scores - point. But less accurate than a goal.

This is important - imagine a kick after the siren with scores tied that hits the post and therefore no score. Had the kick been LESS accurate then they win, but because of an unlucky hit on the post, they don’t.

Doesn’t feel right. Instead, the lesser score is ‘right’ in that case

unless the argument is that it counts for 1 point AND play on. That... would be interesting, to say the least (the potential for a 7-point play for example)...

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
I hate when the AFL and AFL media try to create a narrative of which players everyone loves. I didn't give a fu** about Lenny Hayes and Bob Murphy then, and I don't give a fu** about David Mundy now, so stop telling me I do.
SEN had the promo at the time Murphy was joining the station.

"How about getting around this guy for a cuddle? Everyone's favorite captain, Bob Murphy".

No I don't want to cuddle him and he's never been my favorite captain in anything. Not even top 100 (which Captain Stubing comes in at 100).

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

situationz

Team Captain
Apr 9, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne, Golden State Warriors
These new rules haven't increased scoring at all. (I know I'm right too because I've compared the first 6 rounds) The way some commentators go on about it is a joke. The Hawks v Adelaide game last weekend for example.
Sure, scoring has increased a little, but that just means back to 2018 levels... which were considered historically awful back then.
Not great if you ask me – if we want genuinely good footy we'll need to go further.

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Sure, scoring has increased a little, but that just means back to 2018 levels... which were considered historically awful back then.
Not great if you ask me – if we want genuinely good footy we'll need to go further.
Make it that the rule about remaining stationary applies to all the players, not just the player on the mark. All a forward has to do to get clear is move.

Scoring will skyrocket, it will be fantastic, such good footy.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get what you're saying but the timing makes you look salty AF

I really like Mundy but I'll take a crab juice 8 days a week over Bob Murphy and his denim jackets and his dreadful show on SEN with Andy Maher (dunno if this is an unpopular opinion or not but I'd rather listen to audio of my parents rooting than those two blabber on about bullshite)

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I really like Mundy but I'll take a crab juice 8 days a week over Bob Murphy and his denim jackets and his dreadful show on SEN with Andy Maher (dunno if this is an unpopular opinion or not but I'd rather listen to audio of my parents rooting than those two blabber on about bullshite)
Had the displeasure of listening today
I've not been in Melbourne for five years
Rather listen to someone scratching a chalkboard.
Just awful.
The blokey matey mate fakeness down to earth schtick is all so gross.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Just need to stop trying to change the game with rules. All we end up doing is going backwards a little bit, and then it progresses straight back to what we had before. Let teams figure out how to beat defensive structures rather than having to constantly fix their own, and the game will move past them permanently.
Richmond's game plan (with a few changes around the edges) still seems the best 5 years later. In the past teams with a distinct tactical advantage have only had that for 3-4 years at most.

Back