Opinion POLL: Wear them in the Showdown anyway? Your opinion.

Wear the Prison Bars in the Showdown and cop the punishment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I appreciate the middle finger gesture of it but under absolutely no circumstances should we willingly sacrifice 4 points.

It would be more than four points. I too appreciate the act of defiance but unfortunately we have to fight the battle off field.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Absolutely not.

1. What motivation is there for the players if no points are involved? Would they bother trying?

2. We are trying to wear the guernsey going forward, not as a once off. You can't cop 4 points every time you wear it.

3. 4 points could be VERY important at the end of the year. Would you risk losing a top 4 position for it? The goal is to give yourself the best change of a premiership.

Stupid idea. I'm glad the club isn't entertaining it.

Black 18

Club Legend
May 21, 2007
Seacliff
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To go up against the AFL alone would be foolish and would hurt our Club for years to come. There may be some sort of "FU' satisfaction for doing so but in the long run it could well cripple the Club and put us in a position we can't ever recover from.

4 points would only be the start of it. There could well be a huge fine for bringing the game in to disrepute, loss of draft picks, horrible draws, appallingly bad game times, the list could go on and yes I believe the AFL is corrupt enough and petty enough to do just that.

The only way we win this thing or make any headway is with the support of other AFL clubs.

We should be able to wear the bars just about any time we feel like, that's easy enough to see but it must be done from a position of strength (support) rather than a position of defiance

Trying to embarrass the AFL through actions against what the governing body has said will end in tears.

Lost the battle but the war is yet over.

I definitely get the desire to just defy them and make a statement, but, I don't believe we should be giving up the 4 points. The club, supporters and players want success and that means a premiership. We've all seen over the years the fine line between winning and losing a flag. Even if you take every advantage you possibly can, it can be as little as a kick for goal being 3 inches to the right, a dropped mark, a missed tackle, an unkind bounce. Giving up 4 points could definitely be the difference.
It might make us feel good standing up to the AFL now, but in 5 months time, if it costs us the flag, we will all regret doing it. Especially if it either makes no difference anyway or makes things even tougher for us. Choose your battles.

Hot Port

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gee of course not, it’s the points that we can’t afford to lose..

If we are a bottom 10 team not playing finals anyway, probably. But not now when we are fighting for the flag. It’s hard-fought four points that will probably decide if we can play a home finals

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not a fan of giving away 4 points, but I can understand those who believe that's what we should do.

Can we sell them anyway, or does Eddie have to approve all our merch too?

I'm heartily sick of the management of this sport and the Victorian fap-fest it's become. It's time for change. For once I'm happy for Kochie to mouth off as he sees fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
No.

The four points are one thing but the AFL have many avenues to penalise us for years to come. If people think we get the rough end of the pineapple now imagine what it will be like after we openly defy them and embarrass them. We will have no chance of winning a flag in the foreseeable future.

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have a slightly oversized version.

Run out in it for the pre-game unofficial kick around.

When performing our warm up, players wear fluro vests, replace those with the prison bars jumpers.

Eddie's upset about the club officials wearing mainly black and white gear? Go harder on that.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"Collingwood Football Club has made it clear that, at this time, it does not agree to further use of the guernsey by PAFC including in 'Showdown' matches against Adelaide Crows.

this is the part that pisses me off

who gives a * what collingwood wants
it's not their decision.

its a completely different jumper.

who gives two *s what eddie wants, he's a nobody now.

Those saying too risky, wait it out, don’t rock the boat would be watching Crows Mk2 in the AFL if that attitude had prevailed in the 90’s.

Risk averse wets.

40,000 fans in prison bars might do it. i bet sales have gone through the roof since this decision. i don't wear football guernseys because in general they aren't for grown adults but i might buy one on principle
Sales for what? If my understanding is correct we are not able to sell the bars either.

They won’t actually dock us points.

The AFL are a bunch of spineless squibs and will backflip on their decision like they always do when it embarrasses them.

I appreciate the middle finger gesture of it but under absolutely no circumstances should we willingly sacrifice 4 points.
It’s not willingly, it forces them to be even more petty or just let it go.
They don’t HAVE to dock the points, they will CHOOSE to.

Back