What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please. He'll get his chance. Next week I reckon.View attachment 1114558

"So Marra, what is a pirate's favourite cheese? Give up? CheddAARRRGH! Geddit?"
"Bevo, your jokes are pretty lame."
"Okey-dokey Mr #1 pick - looks like no debut for you again this week then..."

Nah, that's our full time recruiting and analyst team. There's four major areas (state leagues, U/18, AFL listed players, and data and statistics) so it makes sense to have three full-time guys covering that.

We'd have half a dozen or more part-time scouts, like one based in each major city, who simply watch games on the weekend, write reports for the monday and don't have a huge part in the larger decision making process. But those five would there.
The one on the left is Dave Newton, was in charge of our NGA, but think he's picked up other stuff with all the downsizing. Have seen him on the bench during games as well.

The newsreader on SEN in the afternoons has a very annoying voice. All her sentences have the same inflection. Doesn’t matter if she’s informing us of a 10 car pile-up or the results of Lower Plenty’s Annual Fluffiest Dog Contest, it’s all delivered with the same sentence pattern.

It’s irritating.

That is all.
Who did win the Lower Plenty Annual Fluffiest Dog Contest, just out of interest?

1 Tex
2 Macca
3 Dusty
4 Butters
5 Gawn
6 Bont
7 Dunks
8 Libba
9 Mindy
10 Nicnat

Don't know who/what calculates the rankings or how. Season 2021 only.

Thanks

That is pretty ****ing impressive for us, 4/10 of them.

I am shocked and surprised that there are no Sainters on that list.

Thanks

That is pretty ****ing impressive for us, 4/10 of them.

I am shocked and surprised that there are no Sainters on that list.
No sainters at this end of the rankings but 1 St. Bont. The other end is awash with red white and black with a generous dash of blue and white

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s almost two years to the day that Aaron Naughton announced himself to the football world and had a premiership coach declaring not even divine intervention could stop him.
In Round 7, 2019, Naughton single-handedly destroyed Richmond, taking 14 marks — nine contested — and kicked 5.3 goals in the Western Bulldogs’ 47-point victory.

Nathan Broad started on the then 19-year-old, with Noah Balta and then experienced premiership defender Dylan Grimes given a shot at trying to curb the domination.

“We could’ve had Jesus Christ playing down there tonight and I reckon he would’ve struggled on him,” Richmond coach Damien Hardwick remarked after the game.

Once again the two teams meet in a Round 7 showdown in what is being billed as one of the matches of the season, given the Dogs’ unbeaten start to the season and the reigning premiers wobbles.

Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Aaron Naughton flies with teammate Josh Bruce. Picture: Michael Klein

Aaron Naughton flies with teammate Josh Bruce. Picture: Michael Klein
Naughton had already given a glimpse of his undoubted talent in his rookie season — his best game also just happened to be against Richmond with nine marks — finishing fourth in the Dogs’ best-and-fairest despite missing four games through injury.

That was as a defender but his dismantling of Richmond as a key forward ignited debate about which end of the ground he is best suited.

Naughton doesn‘t engage in that. He sees himself as a forward only and this week fondly recalled the last time he crossed paths with the Tigers.

“It was just one of those nights where everything went right,” he says.

“To produce my career best game against the team who went on to win the premiership was pretty good.”

His performance quickly drew comparisons to North Melbourne great Wayne Carey who owns the record for the most contested marks in a game this century — 10 against Collingwood in 2000.

It didn’t take long for his teammates to jump on board, with fellow forward Sam Lloyd the first to christen the Western Australian high-flyer ‘The Little Duckling’ in reference to Carey’s nickname ‘The Duck’.

Carey has since become one of Naughton’s biggest fans, suggesting he sees some of himself in the Dogs forward.

“If he sees some similarities or other people do, I take that as a great compliment,” Naughton says.

Wayne Carey has become one of Naughton’s biggest fans, suggesting he sees some of himself in the Dogs forward.

Wayne Carey has become one of Naughton’s biggest fans, suggesting he sees some of himself in the Dogs forward.
“I’d rather have people comparing me to one of the greatest of all-time than bagging me out.”

For the first time since he arrived at the Whitten Oval as the No.9 pick in the 2017 national draft, Naughton has enjoyed an injury-free pre-season.

He spent two months at home in the coastal town of Rockingham after initially being forced to wait before getting the all clear by the WA Government to return because of COVID-19 border issues.

A lover of the outdoors, he spent most of his days chilling out on a fishing boat dropping cray pots and building his fitness base, which is evident with his manic approach to chasing loose balls, something not usually associated with a 195cm key position player.

“I‘m just a very competitive person,” he says.

“If I don’t mark it I just want to get it and being a lot fitter this year helps me to do those second efforts.”

He did hold on to one spectacular mark against the GWS Giants last week, much to the chagrin of his housemate Tim English.

Naughton‘s knee caught his teammate flush on the jaw, which momentarily stunned the ruckman who had to be helped from the ground and subsequently won’t play against Richmond because of the AFL’s concussion protocols.

“I couldn‘t believe it when I looked back and he was on the ground,” he says.

“I’m pretty lucky he’s got a hard jaw.

Naughton forced out teammate Tim English after his knee caught him flush on the jaw last week. He won’t play against Richmond because of the AFL’s concussion protocols.

Naughton forced out teammate Tim English after his knee caught him flush on the jaw last week. He won’t play against Richmond because of the AFL’s concussion protocols.
“I obviously felt pretty bad, so I‘ve made sure I’ve done his chores around the house this week and cooked him a few meals.”

The progression of English as the Dogs third tall alongside Naughton and former Saint Josh Bruce has been a standout this season.

There is a cohesion about the trio — they‘ve kicked a combined 41 goals through six games — which has come easily with English and Naughton having come through the junior ranks together in WA.

“Brucey has been great for me,” Naughton explains.

“I do all my edits with him, we do all the warm-up together and obviously get along really well.”

Naughton, who is contracted to the end of 2024, is looking forward to potentially playing in front of the biggest crowd of his 59-game career at the MCG, with more than 60,000 expected on Friday night.

“It’s an exciting time,” he says.

“Obviously the footy club is a good place to be at the moment, the VFL boys are also unbeaten so we’re all having a bit of fun.”

Fun might not be a word Richmond‘s defenders will be using as they prepare for their nemesis.

We will get Bidens signature backing us for the flag before a back sponsor.
I tried my best. Sorry. :( Want me to try that other guy? He has nothing to do now. He could use the publicity.

I am sure Collingwood and Bucks would gratefully swap with us.

it struck me today, that if we somehow finished up playing Melbourne in the GF, the media and other supporters would go for Melbourne.
I was thinking about this very point today and I think the crowd would be 50/50.
The Bulldogs are undoubtably the majority of supporters ‘second’ team and Melbourne have an elitist stigma about them. Generally people live watching the dogs and we don’t have any villains in our team.

If Richmond win it'll be how good are the champs. If we win it'll be Richmond lost two in a row, the're in trouble. "Credit to the dogs, they played well, but" and that'll be the only mention of us.
Yea but I actually agree with that. The reality is we haven’t beaten any teams in the top 8 because we haven’t played them yet. Melbourne have knocked off Geelong and Richmond so I would rank them ahead of us by a fair margin. Our % is skewed by our huge win over North.

Yea but I actually agree with that. The reality is we haven’t beaten any teams in the top 8 because we haven’t played them yet. Melbourne have knocked off Geelong and Richmond so I would rank them ahead of us by a fair margin. Our % is skewed by our huge win over North.

Agree Melbourne are slightly ahead, but we also haven’t beaten other top 8 teams as our wins have kept some teams out of the top 8.

I was thinking about this very point today and I think the crowd would be 50/50.
The Bulldogs are undoubtably the majority of supporters ‘second’ team and Melbourne have an elitist stigma about them. Generally people live watching the dogs and we don’t have any villains in our team.
I also think Melbourne would get the pity vote. We’ve had our “turn”, Melbourne “deserves “ to break their drought. Might need some umpires’ help 😉

Brisbane are in the 8 and west coast are only out of it because they were walloped by 100 points at Geelong last week.

We’ve destroyed everyone we’ve played except west coast tbf, Melbourne has struggled a bit against some prettty average teams. But after last week against Tigs it’s hard to go past them. I guess we’ll have a better idea

SEN Cornes - banging on about bloody Collingwood/Port traditional guernsey ALL morning. Turned off. Turned on an hour later. Still going? I mean, isn't there anything else happening? Like a game of football tonight? Had to get that on ABC Radio Melbourne.

1. There are known knows Tigers were 2020 premiers
2. There are unknown knows How good are the dogs in 2021
3. There are unkown unknows These are ones that could trip us up.

I like to think that answer to point 2 is bloody good and point 2 becomes point 1 a known know that the dogs are a proven very good side after we destroy the tigers tonight.

Last edited:
1. There are known knows Tigers were 2020 premiers
2. There are unknown knows How good are the dogs in 2021
3. There are unkown unknows These are ones that could trip us.

I like to think that answer to point 2 is bloody good and point 2 become point 1 a known know that the dogs are proven very good side after we destroy the tigers tonight.
You really do have a way with words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back