West Coast Eagles 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

When your own coach calls you 'weak' it doesn't get much worse than that. Some serious mental fragility in this group without Hurn or Shuey/whenever they have to leave Optus stadium/when it's not on their terms.

Same issue last year during the pandemic.

Agreed.

Have pity for the Cockburn Dockers

All ex WCE supporters. All are turncoats.
Again....

A fair bit of West coast fans in early 1987 were south freo and east freo fans.

No doubt a few people that followed west coast from 1987-1994 followed freo in 1995.

Saying that.... I live in South Australia. I was actually a Carlton fan from 1998-2001. Been a dockers fan since late 2001-early 2002. So yeah. I am not a west coast turn coat.

Very accurate up forward
73 goals 41 for the season
The three big forwards have 42 goals 13 points between them mostly accounting for the above average accuracy issues same as every season.
Will have a stronger list with a lot more strenghs at the back half of the season all things being equal.
not bad....

Saying that Chris Mayne kicked 39 goals and 7 behinds in 2012 and 35 goals and 10 behinds in 2013 for freo.

Will be saying the same about Rrichmond with no Dusty.

At least it takes 13 injured players to scuttle the Eagles.....not one.

No Dusty no Richmond.

Really slaying Richmond supporters with that call with three flags in the back pocket.

Struggling to cop that this Eagles team has continually under achieved since 2018?

I still back them in full strength as one of the best few sides, but they've been cut down with some key injuries so far.

The question is can they get through this period and win enough games for some home finals in Perth, as I think they will need that this year to go deep.

Derby shapes as a must win now. Lack of crowd (if any) might influence the outcome, as it's fixtured as an Eagles home game.

I still back them in full strength as one of the best few sides, but they've been cut down with some key injuries so far.

The question is can they get through this period and win enough games for some home finals in Perth, as I think they will need that this year to go deep.

I don't think any WA side can win the flag from outside the top 4 and our margin for error is razor thin as we've already lost 3.

We need Shuey and Yeo more than JK and Hurn (although obviously the latter two returning would be very welcome) for a premiership push, and they are both out for god knows how long.

I've already braced myself for a reload for one last shot in 2022. I think after that, it's time for a mini-rebuild.

Since 2010 the lowest ladder position at the bye was 7-4, WCE have the draw over the next few weeks to do that but IMO - the midfield and half forwards are cooked.

The midfield and half forwards who played on the weekend are cooked or the ones who didn't play?

I don't class Ryan, Rioli, Cameron and Petrucelle as cooked. They just aren't available.

Shuey............could be cooked sure.

Yeo, at 28 you would hope not.

Too much being left to too few.

I am predicting a 7th to 10th finish if we can't get on top of these injuries to multiple key players.

Simple as that.

You take 6 All Australian quality players out of any team they will struggle against quality opposition playing away from home.

West Coast will smack Freo this week, always happens when the heat comes on to them, if they were playing outside WA then it would be 50/50.

West Coast then play Hawthorn, Adelaide (home) & GWS, not as easy as it once looked but even with their injuries I'd expect them to win all 3.

Win all these games and they will play finals which is stating the obvious.

At this rate, top 4 is seriously unlikely. Best we can hope for is to get to September with a fully healthy side and see what damage we can do there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this rate, top 4 is seriously unlikely. Best we can hope for is to get to September with a fully healthy side and see what damage we can do there
There's a lot to play out. Richmond are currently 3-3 with the Bulldogs and Geelong in the next two weeks but people aren't writing them off yet (more credits in the bank, to be fair). I don't think Sydney or Melbourne are likely to maintain their run as the year goes on. Could be one of those very even seasons.

There's a lot to play out. Richmond are currently 3-3 with the Bulldogs and Geelong in the next two weeks but people aren't writing them off yet (more credits in the bank, to be fair). I don't think Sydney or Melbourne are likely to maintain their run as the year goes on. Could be one of those very even seasons.

Whilst true, having two of your best midfielders out indefinitely (Especially the two which are most willing to get stuck in and show aggression) means we are probably gonna lose games we would've otherwise won.

Whilst true, having two of your best midfielders out indefinitely (Especially the two which are most willing to get stuck in and show aggression) means we are probably gonna lose games we would've otherwise won.
It's certainly a real risk but we're already getting back the likes of Hurn and Kennedy. I'm hopeful last week was the rocket needed to put on a strong run to the bye. There's no reason we cant be 9-3.

Are they in contention this year? Doesn't look like it to me. I would however like to know how they go without such a big chunk of the best 22 missing.

Why do you keep playing the injury card... Cats have had a heap of players out injured and unfit, but still are competitive.

Why do you keep playing the injury card... Cats have had a heap of players out injured and unfit, but still are competitive..
What's "the injury card"? Are you averse to a statement of fact?

It is simply a fact that WC have been without probably 6 of their best 10 players. I think WC will struggle to contend this season but I'd like to know how they'd have gone without those absences, particularly in the midfield. They might well have still come up short but I'd be less frustrated by that.

Which part of that is objectionable?

Last edited:
We have had an arguably worse run of injuries compared to your lot and you don't see us parading it as an excuse for poor performances... We show up and adapt. Injuries or not your performance last week was piss poor, and the eagles have been piss poor on the road for a while. It's a lack of effort not injuries.

That's the problem with spoilt clubs that are used to being treated like royalty, always some excuse.

What's that saying again?
History is filled with the sound of silken slippers going downstairs and wooden shoes coming up

We have had an arguably worse run of injuries compared to your lot and you don't see us parading it as an excuse for poor performances... We show up and adapt. Injuries or not your performance last week was piss poor, and the eagles have been piss poor on the road for a while. It's a lack of effort not injuries.

That's the problem with spoilt clubs that are used to being treated like royalty, always some excuse.

What's that saying again?
History is filled with the sound of silken slippers going downstairs and wooden shoes coming up

This is copied directly from the AFL website https://www.afl.com.au/news/603277/medical-room-the-full-afl-injury-list-round-seven

Fremantle Injuries
PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Adam Cerra Ankle 2-3 weeks
Brennan Cox Ankle Test
Joel Hamling Ankle 1-2 weeks
Stephen Hill Hamstring 6-7 weeks
Alex Pearce Knee 2 weeks
Sam Switkowski Finger 4 weeks
Hayden Young Hamstring 7-9 weeks

West Coast Injuries
Shannon Hurn Calf Test
Josh Kennedy Ankle Test
Jeremy McGovern Groin TBC
Jack Petruccelle Hamstring Test
Liam Ryan Shin 5-7 weeks
Luke Shuey Hamstring TBC
Daniel Venables Concussion TBC
Elliot Yeo Groin TBC

Lets go through these injuries by position, importance of player and length of injury. (Not counting Venables)
If an injury is more significant to the team it is >.
Hamling = McGovern (This is being generous to Freo and Gov is expected to miss the same timeframe)
Hurn = Cox (Again being generous, both are questionable to play + Hurn has experience factor)
Shuey > Cerra (While Cerra is a great, promising midfielder Shuey is a norm smith medalist and captain and out for longer)
Kennedy = Pearce (Kennedy despite his age is a great player, this is even based on time out)
Switkowski > Petch (Purely based on time out of the lineup, Petch has shown flashes of greatness compared to Switkowski being more of a role player)
Ryan > Hill (Our only decent small forward + All Australian)
Yeo > Young (Young has great potential, no where near as good as Yeo).

And that's me being super generous to Freo. I do agree about our performance last week (And in general since 2020 bar the Western Bulldogs game this year). Just saying comparing Freo's injury list to ours right now isn't the right way to go.

This is copied directly from the AFL website https://www.afl.com.au/news/603277/medical-room-the-full-afl-injury-list-round-seven

Fremantle Injuries
Adam CerraAnkle2-3 weeks
Brennan CoxAnkleTest
Joel HamlingAnkle1-2 weeks
Stephen HillHamstring6-7 weeks
Alex PearceKnee2 weeks
Sam SwitkowskiFinger4 weeks
Hayden YoungHamstring7-9 weeks

West Coast Injuries
Shannon HurnCalfTest
Josh KennedyAnkleTest
Jeremy McGovernGroinTBC
Jack PetruccelleHamstringTest
Liam RyanShin5-7 weeks
Luke ShueyHamstringTBC
Daniel VenablesConcussionTBC
Elliot YeoGroinTBC

Lets go through these injuries by position, importance of player and length of injury. (Not counting Venables)
If an injury is more significant to the team it is >.
Hamling = McGovern (This is being generous to Freo and Gov is expected to miss the same timeframe)
Hurn = Cox (Again being generous, both are questionable to play + Hurn has experience factor)
Shuey > Cerra (While Cerra is a great, promising midfielder Shuey is a norm smith medalist and captain and out for longer)
Kennedy = Pearce (Kennedy despite his age is a great player, this is even based on time out)
Switkowski > Petch (Purely based on time out of the lineup, Petch has shown flashes of greatness compared to Switkowski being more of a role player)
Ryan > Hill (Our only decent small forward + All Australian)
Yeo > Young (Young has great potential, no where near as good as Yeo).

And that's me being super generous to Freo. I do agree about our performance last week (And in general since 2020 bar the Western Bulldogs game this year). Just saying comparing Freo's injury list to ours right now isn't the right way to go.

S**t happens mate.

Meh - the injuries hurt but the Eagles are better than last week’s effort.

I expect Freo to win this week, I don’t think it’ll be 100 points but can’t see the Eagles winning in the middle. Mundy for the Glendinning-Waterhouse Medal.

SeasonI don’t expect to see Yeo or Shuey until probably Round 15-20, so will be down to the mids to rediscover the form they showed against Port (with Shuey playing 60% ground time) and Collingwood (with less success).

Missing Liam Ryan badly too - Cripps has been down this year and the other small forwards have battled - we are actually going to rush Petrucelle back into the team for the Derby. That’s how hard up we are.

Potential to go belly up is very high.

Meh - the injuries hurt but the Eagles are better than last week’s effort.

I expect Freo to win this week, I don’t think it’ll be 100 points but can’t see the Eagles winning in the middle. Mundy for the Glendinning-Waterhouse Medal.

SeasonI don’t expect to see Yeo or Shuey until probably Round 15-20, so will be down to the mids to rediscover the form they showed against Port (with Shuey playing 60% ground time) and Collingwood (with less success).

Missing Liam Ryan badly too - Cripps has been down this year and the other small forwards have battled - we are actually going to rush Petrucelle back into the team for the Derby. That’s how hard up we are.

Potential to go belly up is very high.
All im reading here and most other eagle supporters posts are excuses.
Clearly just setting themselves for an "out " , in case they lose .
Quite sad really

Remove this Banner Ad

Back