North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did
I think Melbourne have to be the benchmark for PP eligibility. From 2012-2014 we won a total of 9 games in 3 seasons (mostly against the fledgling GC and GWS teams) with a percentage rivaling Fitzroy in their latter years, AND in the previous 5 years we had a decidedly putrid record of 28-2-80, AND the drafts in these years were compromised by the expansion team concessions and we didn't qualify for any priority picks. Until North have a comparably dismal record over such a long period of time, there's no conversation to be had. Every team has sh*t years and 2021 is North's turn. Deal with it.
Melbourne even get one, wasn't pick 3 ( brayshaw) a free agent comp pick for Frawley.

Did Melbourne even get one, wasn't pick 3 ( brayshaw) a free agent comp pick for Frawley.

Nope. Like you said, we got pick 3 as compo for Frawley but we never got a PP after the rules were changed despite a decade of never notching up more than 8 wins in a season. That's why I said Melbourne should serve as the benchmark: until a team performs as badly as we did for that sustained period, they plainly do not deserve a priority pick because apparently we didn't either.

If NMFC win < 3 games, then yeah it's hard to justify not getting one.

When you add into the mix the fact we lost our senior coach less than 12 months into his stint due to mental health issues, it's not a hard sell for most rational neutrals one would assume.
Don't need to pull the mental health card. If you are crap you are crap

Opposed to them full stop, but given the AFL has opened the floodgates to the most convincing beggars and 6000-pound gorillas they can do whatever they want.

Suspend F/S and Academy protection for North for their first three picks - Number 1 plus 2 priority picks ahead of the draft. Give them an over cap allowance of $3.0M pa for three years to recruit 4-5 players from the top 4 teams.

In return North agree to move to Tas.

The 2016 Lions season has been forgotten a bit because Essendon won the spoon, but it is one of the worst seasons in recent memory. Conceded an average of 130 points against per game and had an average losing margin of 10 goals. Only 4 first round picks left on the entire list (Daniel Rich, Schache, Sam Mayes and Hipwood), and lost a talented young key defender to retirement due to concussion (Justin Clarke). This was after a season the year prior where they only won 3 games.

2017 was the spoon year but it was miles better than 2016 was, which was honestly comparable to some of those Melbourne teams that were actively trying to tank.
Brisbane 2016 were pretty bad (and they were worse than in 2017), but they were a heck of a lot better than Melbourne's worst, which was truly diabolical. I don't actually think the Lions were exceptionally bad for a bottom-2 team.

Brisbane's problem was an aggressive gameplan with no defence. So they conceded a lot of goals, for sure, but for a bottom team, they scored very highly themselves. They actually outscored Richmond that year, who won 8 games, and averaged just 4 points per game fewer the Bulldogs, who won the flag.

So for mine they're more a team where one or two things broke really badly, rather than being devoid of all merit, like you see with the historically bad teams.

No, they shouldn't.

In fact, no club should under any circumstances EXCEPT when entering the comp as an expansion side.

North Melbourne made the list management decisions that see them where they are now. They can use the normal draft processes over the next few years to get out of it.

I’m not opposed to them getting the same compo as Carlton recently got. Access to 1-2 of the state league players before the draft. They can trade or keep these players. Will improve their position without significantly compromising the draft.
I'm ok with them getting a second round priority pick. I'm absolutely, totally against this idea.

There will be 19 year old Victorians running around who missed due to COVID. Getting first access to state players this year, even with the mid-season draft, could be a bonanza.

Clubs that struggle at the bottom of the ladder normally do so because they have a lack of experienced players on their list.

I have no issue giving clubs extra picks in the mid-year and pre-season drafts allowing them to bring in players with experience.

Clubs that struggle at the bottom of the ladder normally do so because they have a lack of experienced players on their list.

I have no issue giving clubs extra picks in the mid-year and pre-season drafts allowing them to bring in players with experience.

The AFL and North can start fixing this at the stroke of a pen. Everyone knows how it should go.

The players you can get via the PSD and MSD though are usually journeyman at best. I mean, the 2019 MSD best picks were probably, Noble, Pickett & Snelling. Good role players, but add 7-8 of that quality into North and all you're doing is going to reduce the losing margin while holding back development. And most of the 2019 MSD were duds.

If you want to patch over the hole, that's fine. If you want to actually help North raise up the ladder, its fiddling at the edges.

(PS: I'm talking long term systems here. Obviously this year's midseason draft due to COVID may be a special case)

No they shouldn't and there should be no compensation picks either.
There is no relegation, the worst that happens is you finish bottom of the ladder and it's got to happen to somebody.
It's starting to feel that the wooden spoon is a good prize.

If there is something to help them, allow them to have an increase in football department budget for two years to get better/more coaches and better medical department staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah they need one there the by far the worst team in the league so they should be one plus something like Gold Coasts package.

The players you can get via the PSD and MSD though are usually journeyman at best. I mean, the 2019 MSD best picks were probably, Noble, Pickett & Snelling. Good role players, but add 7-8 of that quality into North and all you're doing is going to reduce the losing margin while holding back development. And most of the 2019 MSD were duds.

If you want to patch over the hole, that's fine. If you want to actually help North raise up the ladder, its fiddling at the edges.

(PS: I'm talking long term systems here. Obviously this year's midseason draft due to COVID may be a special case)
In previous years, guys like Ryan and Kelly have been floating around in the WAFL here so there are players that can be a bit better than hole fillers.

I wouldn't mind if they got something like an additional two list spots to be filled at the conclusion of the mid-season draft that must be used on someone with either AFL experience or has been in the state system for at least two years.

That would actually be something of assistance to support the younger players as opposed to just giving them more 18 year olds.

Watching the vfl game and they’re in seriously dire straits. Even they’re young players are nothing to get excited about.
Xerri in the ruck, interrupted pre season and has a dodgy foot after being stepped on last week.
Dumont in his first game back after a 5 month calf.
Will walker running on one and a half legs.
Ford is literally a first year, late selected draft pick.
Dom Tyson... yeah.
Bailey Scott being quite disappointing.
Garner the oldest out there and the one playing with the most intensity.

They're practically the only AFL listed players out there for us, and the VFL listed players are the scraps leftover after everyone else recruited. We have more young players in the Senior team right now than in the VFL. We are injury ****ed to hell and back, on top of being ground zero for a rebuild.

Xerri in the ruck, interrupted pre season and has a dodgy foot after being stepped on last week.
Dumont in his first game back after a 5 month calf.
Will walker running on one and a half legs.
Ford is literally a first year, late selected draft pick.
Dom Tyson... yeah.
Bailey Scott being quite disappointing.
Garner the oldest out there and the one playing with the most intensity.

They're practically the only AFL listed players out there for us, and the VFL listed players are the scraps leftover after everyone else recruited. We have more young players in the Senior team right now than in the VFL. We are injury f’ed to hell and back, on top of being ground zero for a rebuild.
The problem is the afl ones are pretty average as well with the exception of Powell. Too early to tell on Phillips. As a whole it just doesn’t stack up well against other younger developing teams like Adelaide, Gold Coast, Freo. In short I’d favour a priority pick and some other concessions if the afl is serious about keeping North as a viable club.

The problem is the afl ones are pretty average as well with the exception of Powell. Too early to tell on Phillips. As a whole it just doesn’t stack up well against other younger developing teams like Adelaide, Gold Coast, Freo. In short I’d favour a priority pick and some other concessions if the afl is serious about keeping North as a viable club.
Financially prop up our VFL club for us, or help us take a broom to our medical/conditioning departments. I would happily take either over a PP.

I'm more or less fine with the list, considering we're only just started a root and branch rebuild, but our development and player availability just isn't up to snuff.

No they chose to cut their list so deep and probably cut too deep, they also chose to add older players when not contending. You can’t ask for a priority pick when you are in the position you are in due to your own mismanagement.

Now if they aren’t competitive by the end of 2022 then possibly but not before them

I never get this argument. Which poorly performed club isn't in that position due to their own mismanagement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back