Roast Our medical team / Injury prevention and conditioning staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s been spoken about for years, but our injuries and conditioning staff have been woeful for nearly a decade now and it’s only getting worse.

It can’t come down to bad luck anymore. I understand that injuries happen, but there are so many recurring injuries.

I’ve read that we did cheap out on our medical team due to Covid and managing our debt.

We can get new players, 12 new coaches, new staff and do a massive clean out but if most of the team is injured, unfit, lack of prevention measures etc it’s a complete waste imo.

It affects our confidence, development, fitness, success, future trades and way more. Missing out on so much when “some” (not all) can be managed better and or prevented.

I think this needs to be spoken about more from Noble and the club. In many years we have been a bit hush, hush on the bad management of our conditioning staff and medical team.

Would love to hear that we’ve identified that’s it’s something we need to address in the near future.

It’s been spoken about for years, but our injuries and conditioning staff have been woeful for nearly a decade now and it’s only getting worse.

It can’t come down to bad luck anymore. I understand that injuries happen, but there are so many recurring injuries.

I’ve read that we did cheap out on our medical team due to Covid and managing our debt.

We can get new players, 12 new coaches, new staff and do a massive clean out but if most of the team is injured, unfit, lack of prevention measures etc it’s a complete waste imo.

It affects our confidence, development, fitness, success, future trades and way more. Missing out on so much when “some” (not all) can be managed better and or prevented.

I think this needs to be spoken about more from Noble and the club. In many years we have been a bit hush, hush on the bad management of our conditioning staff and medical team.

Would love to hear that we’ve identified that’s it’s something we need to address in the near future.
Well, we put Harry Unglik on the board. I'm guessing he's not just there for the scones.

He was the Medical Officer for the Kangaroos Football Club from 1983 to 2001 and this has enabled him to practise sports medicine with elite athletes at the highest level. In 1996 Harry was admitted as a fellow of the Australian Sports Medicine Federation. He is a life member of the North Melbourne Football Club.

Harry was selected as an Olympic doctor for the Sydney Olympics and the doctor for the All-Australian AFL team touring Ireland in 2000 and 2001.

In 2001 he was awarded a fellowship to Sports Doctors Australia.

From 2001 to 2017 Harry served as the Medical Director of the AFL.

Harry was awarded Life Membership of the AFL in 2014.

Well, we put Harry Unglik on the board. I'm guessing he's not just there for the scones.

He was the Medical Officer for the Kangaroos Football Club from 1983 to 2001 and this has enabled him to practise sports medicine with elite athletes at the highest level. In 1996 Harry was admitted as a fellow of the Australian Sports Medicine Federation. He is a life member of the North Melbourne Football Club.

Harry was selected as an Olympic doctor for the Sydney Olympics and the doctor for the All-Australian AFL team touring Ireland in 2000 and 2001.

In 2001 he was awarded a fellowship to Sports Doctors Australia.

From 2001 to 2017 Harry served as the Medical Director of the AFL.

Harry was awarded Life Membership of the AFL in 2014.
I'm pretty certain Armafio said in an interview (the sit down with Damo?) that Unglik was coming in specifically to do a review of those areas.

He was at the AFLW best and fairest. I tried to ask him but he’s an elusive bugger and I couldn’t pin him down. It’s the number 1 problem at the club IMO. It’s no surprise Melbourne is having a great run and over recent years Richmond and Brisbane have had successful seasons built on seasons where they had great fortune with injuries. Get this right and the rest falls into place.

I’ve always tried to give our meds the benefit of the doubt but I can’t anymore like one of my aspirations is to become a club doctor and I’ve had chats to Andrew Russell about this.

There are so many factors we have to include: shortened pre season, list management (recruiting players prone to ST injuries), load management, wellness checks. Many more

He was at the AFLW best and fairest. I tried to ask him but he’s an elusive bugger and I couldn’t pin him down. It’s the number 1 problem at the club IMO. It’s no surprise Melbourne is having a great run and over recent years Richmond and Brisbane have had successful seasons built on seasons where they had great fortune with injuries. Get this right and the rest falls into place.

Western Bulldogs and Melb have * all injuries…. And look where their clubs are right now

Not saying it’s a guarantee but it’s not rocket science. Get our medical team right and the rest with follow

I'm pretty certain Armafio said in an interview (the sit down with Damo?) that Unglik was coming in specifically to do a review of those areas.
I wouldn't expect Dr Unglik to throw anyone under the bus publicly, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall in private discussions.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Do you mean Unglik?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just checking, when you say you want the whole board sacked, that includes the guy who has been a senior medical officer in football for 35 years, yeah?

What is he even doing on a football club board?!

Are NMFC board positions an entitlement for "good blokes"?

It has become the plaything of impostors.

There's no denying it is an issue, but there's preventable/stuff up type injuries and just bad luck.

Conflating the two can confuse the issues.

So, on the first, Will Walker. We had a relatively high pick, in exactly the spot we need, who showed lots of promise in his first year, absolutely ruined by our injury management. Ruined. I also suspect we stuffed TG too, we keep him on the list because we think we've got him right, and we never have.

But right now we're getting pumped because the backline is undermanned.

If the backline had Tarrant, Corr and McDonald in it, would we getting belted as hard? No.

Can we honestly blame the medical staff for Luke tearing his pec five minutes into a game? Tarrant's condition? Corr's toe getting infected.

We certainly need a review and having Dr Harry on the board is an indication we're taking that seriously it seems.

There's no denying it is an issue, but there's preventable/stuff up type injuries and just bad luck.

Conflating the two can confuse the issues.

So, on the first, Will Walker. We had a relatively high pick, in exactly the spot we need, who showed lots of promise in his first year, absolutely ruined by our injury management. Ruined. I also suspect we stuffed TG too, we keep him on the list because we think we've got him right, and we never have.

But right now we're getting pumped because the backline is undermanned.

If the backline had Tarrant, Corr and McDonald in it, would we getting belted as hard? No.

Can we honestly blame the medical staff for Luke tearing his pec five minutes into a game? Tarrant's condition? Corr's toe getting infected.

We certainly need a review and having Dr Harry on the board is an indication we're taking that seriously it seems.

Yeah fair call if it was just a once off but it’s pretty much been happening for a decade.
Things must change

He's another easily controlled "yes" man, just like Archer.

This club is not currently controlled by its members, nor run for the benefit of its football members.

That's right, I stated it, the NMFC is rife with CRONYISM!

Yeah fair call if it was just a once off but it’s pretty much been happening for a decade.
Things must change

Oh agree, and it is more than just about injury - why is Bailey Scott still so stick thin etc.

I know snake might take it to the extreme and get people offside but he is spot on in blaming the current administration for the standards being set at the footy club. Since 2017 I can’t think of one metric where we could honestly say the we are doing ok let alone leading the league. North were always innovative, risk takers, I see none of that now. Perhaps as the game got bigger and bigger it just became to much for a smaller club like ours to compete in.

I know snake might take it to the extreme and get people offside but he is spot on in blaming the current administration for the standards being set at the footy club. Since 2017.............

Amazing coincidence.

I actually forecast this in 2017!!!!!!

............I can’t think of one metric where we could honestly say the we are doing ok let alone leading the league. North were always innovative, risk takers, I see none of that now. Perhaps as the game got bigger and bigger it just became to much for a smaller club like ours to compete in.

Where are the NORTH people?! Where is our Joseph, Mantello, Aylett or Miller now*?

*Wait for the predictable admin shills to come along and deflect this point with the 2007 GC relocation.

Last edited:
He's another easily controlled "yes" man, just like Archer.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on Glenn Archer being an easily controlled yes man.

Dr Harry saw us through our last age of sustained onfield success, that's good enough for me.

I know snake might take it to the extreme and get people offside but he is spot on in blaming the current administration for the standards being set at the footy club. Since 2017 I can’t think of one metric where we could honestly say the we are doing ok let alone leading the league. North were always innovative, risk takers, I see none of that now. Perhaps as the game got bigger and bigger it just became to much for a smaller club like ours to compete in.

How did you arrive at that year - genuinely wondering?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back