Roast Our medical team / Injury prevention and conditioning staff

Remove this Banner Ad

These questions need to be asked of the ppl in charge.
Need another fan question time with ceo / coach/ Brady

Yep, members should ask those questions that those events imo.

Email in even.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on Glenn Archer being an easily controlled yes man.

Then, "Shinboner of the Century" or not, he's not up to it and should have been removed based upon the hideous Scotland & Jade Rawlings appointments alone!!!

Dr Harry saw us through our last age of sustained onfield success, that's good enough for me.

What horse s**t.

Dr Harry was a ****ing Doctor. You can drop the spin bullshit with me. It doesn't fly.

Dr Harry was a ****ing Doctor. You can drop the spin bullshit with me. It doesn't fly.

Doctor who got Anthony Stevens through the 99 Grand Final on a broken ankle, got Wayne Carey past 250 games on two shot to s**t shoulders?

I'm at a loss to understand who would actually be good enough to be on the board in terms of real North footy people if Glenn Archer and Dr Harry Unglik don't make the cut.

Doctor who got Anthony Stevens through the 99 Grand Final on a broken ankle, got Wayne Carey past 250 games on two shot to sh*t shoulders?

WHAT THE * HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH RUNNING A FOOTBALL CLUB?!!!! HAVE YOU DROPPED 60 I.Q. POINTS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?!

You are so invested in propping up your personal mates & politics, that you cannot see straight any longer.

There's no denying it is an issue, but there's preventable/stuff up type injuries and just bad luck.

Conflating the two can confuse the issues.

So, on the first, Will Walker. We had a relatively high pick, in exactly the spot we need, who showed lots of promise in his first year, absolutely ruined by our injury management. Ruined. I also suspect we stuffed TG too, we keep him on the list because we think we've got him right, and we never have.

But right now we're getting pumped because the backline is undermanned.

If the backline had Tarrant, Corr and McDonald in it, would we getting belted as hard? No.

Can we honestly blame the medical staff for Luke tearing his pec five minutes into a game? Tarrant's condition? Corr's toe getting infected.

We certainly need a review and having Dr Harry on the board is an indication we're taking that seriously it seems.

I agree. But I was more talking about the last 10 or so years. We have been struggling for so long now. Last year was the worst in the AFL and now this year we are worse.

Remember the 9-0 start? Then we had more soft tissue injuries, in-game injuries than any other team that year and the entire club collapse

A lot of it could be:

- injury prone players
- bad luck
- conditioning
- fitness
- medical team
- injury prevention and knowledge

Put some of our players in other clubs like Bulldogs, Melb etc and maybe the 15 recurring hammies, calf’s and more can be better managed.

We’ve had a fitness issue for a while and it seems like our players are made of chalk. Even with our new players like LDU and even Lazaro are struggling with soft tissue issues already early in their career.

Without the experienced players around the youth in the next 3-4 years is going to ruin their development.

Look how bad our VFL is right now due to the availability of players. This is not going to get any better if we keep ignoring it.

2020 was such a cluster**** and anomaly that it was hard to draw conclusions from from a management perspective. Yet Unglik was ominously appointed to provide more governance suggesting a tighter leash on some areas. (Whether he came in at the wrong level is a separate discussion I have little to no interest in)

How the club (and yes board) now responds to the back-to-back cluster**** that is our 2021 player fitness, condition and availability reality will indicate whether their ability to rebuild a successful club (club - not just list) has any substance.

I agree. But I was more talking about the last 10 or so years. We have been struggling for so long now. Last year was the worst in the AFL and now this year we are worse.

Remember the 9-0 start? Then we had more soft tissue injuries, in-game injuries than any other team that year and the entire club collapse

A lot of it could be:

- injury prone players
- bad luck
- conditioning
- fitness
- medical team
- injury prevention and knowledge

Put some of our players in other clubs like Bulldogs, Melb etc and maybe the 15 recurring hammies, calf’s and more can be better managed.

We’ve had a fitness issue for a while and it seems like our players are made of chalk. Even with our new players like LDU and even Lazaro are struggling with soft tissue issues already early in their career.

Without the experienced players around the youth in the next 3-4 years is going to ruin their development.

Look how bad our VFL is right now due to the availability of players. This is not going to get any better if we keep ignoring it.

I agree with most of this but then you go and ruin it with wild exaggerations like Lazzaro struggling with soft tissues.

What? He's missed one game and probably needed a rest. Didn't play 2s last night so likely in.again this week.

As for our little cousins over the creek, them sending Josh Dunkley back on after he'd clearly buggered his shoulder, only to make it a season ending injury, didn't look like very good injury management to me.

Abysmal in fact, given where they sit.

2020 was such a cluster**** and anomaly that it was hard to draw conclusions from from a management perspective. Yet Unglik was ominously appointed to provide more governance suggesting a tighter leash on some areas. (Whether he came in at the wrong level is a separate discussion I have little to no interest in)

How the club (and yes board) now responds to the back-to-back cluster**** that is our 2021 player fitness, condition and availability reality will indicate whether their ability to rebuild a successful club (club - not just list) has any substance.

What exactly has he done since coming in?

We could have the best coaches in the AFL, 7 high draft pics, better stadiums etc but won’t make a difference if the team is never fit and half the list is injured all the time

I agree with most of this but then you go and ruin it with wild exaggerations like Lazzaro struggling with soft tissues.

What? He's missed one game and probably needed a rest. Didn't play 2s last night so likely in.again this week.

As for our little cousins over the creek, them sending Josh Dunkley back on after he'd clearly buggered his shoulder, only to make it a season ending injury, didn't look like very good injury management to me.

Abysmal in fact, given where they sit.

Just using it as a example mate haha first year and already has hammy issues. I got this horrible feeling that it will turn to the famous “2 weeks”

What exactly has he done since coming in?

We could have the best coaches in the AFL, 7 high draft pics, better stadiums etc but won’t make a difference if the team is never fit and half the list is injured all the time

On the surface I agree but he came in over the summer I think? Ziebell commented late in preseason how great our availability was so there wouldn't have been much for him to base a triage on.

He's got all the evidence he needs now and if no changes to personnel or structure come out of this year then neither Harry nor the club are fair dinkum about improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Touchy subject. If we had access to the board minutes Id suggest a standard agenda item would be an update from the Medical Dept which would be relatively generic - who what how and when stuff...any criticism in terms of staffing, procedures or funding if raised you would think would go down the action item rabbit hole.
However Id suggest any criticism should not be a surprise to the board as any cuts or reengineering of practices (in 2020) Id imagine would have gone through some sort of risk assessment and the potential risks acknowledged/control planned and ultimately approved by I'm assuming the board.
Having said that Id be shocked if there was any acknowledgement of systemic issues with Norths medical management and our recent "bad luck" attributed to simply that.

Touchy subject. If we had access to the board minutes ..........

LOL, the "members" don't even have access to the board, unless the board says so.

The members created an oligarchy when they ridiculously handed over election powers to the board a few years back.

I only wish I was around at the time to lobby against such a hideously bad decision.

WHAT THE fu** HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH RUNNING A FOOTBALL CLUB?!!!! HAVE YOU DROPPED 60 I.Q. POINTS IN THE LAST 5 YEARS?!

You are so invested in propping up your personal mates & politics, that you cannot see straight any longer.
You understand subtle difference between sitting on a board and being a director?

Been a mess for years. My cousin's husband did 2 weeks of placement at North in the hope of landing the vacant physiotherapists role.

He couldn't get out quick enough.

The Sports medicine program was overseen by a GP. A young draftee by the name of Ben Cunnington complained to this GP (Dr.Con) of soreness in a foot upon running. He was advised to ''keep an eye on it, tell me if it gets worse''. Cunners, not altogether confident of this advice approached my cousin's husband, who requested scans and diagnosed him of a stress reaction in the foot, which was at virtual snapping point. Cunners missed the first part of the season, but it could have been so much worse.

All comes down to dollars. The big boys can spend up big getting the best in, whilst we 'make do' with a lesser number of satisfactory practitioners.

Copy and paste from speedy

The media has finally cottoned on that there is an injury problem down at arden street.

In an article from the AFL site by Riley Beverage-

The Kangaroos may only have 27 fit players to choose from this weekend, making David Noble's rough start even tougher.

This weekend? It's been like that for most of the year.

In all, by Sunday, only 21 of the 42 players on North Melbourne's list would have been fit and available for all seven games this year.

By no means is it an excuse for the club's winless start – Noble himself wouldn't want it to be used as one – but it's undoubtedly made what was already expected to be a tough period for the club all the more difficult.

21 in 42... that means 21 players have been injured at some point this year, ****.
When do injuries become an excuse? When there is less than 22 fit players? There is another 16 odd games to go so we might yet get it to less than 22 available players.

Been a mess for years. My cousin's husband did 2 weeks of placement at North in the hope of landing the vacant physiotherapists role.

The Sports medicine program was overseen by a GP. A young draftee by the name of Ben Cunnington complained to this GP (Dr.Con) of soreness in a foot upon running. He was advised to ''keep an eye on it, tell me if it gets worse''. Cunners, not altogether confident of this advice approached my cousin's husband, who requested scans and diagnosed him of a stress reaction in the foot, which was at virtual snapping point. Cunners missed the first part of the season, but it could have been so much worse.

All comes down to dollars. The big boys can spend up big getting the best in, whilst we 'make do' with a lesser number of satisfactory practitioners.

And here lies the problem….

Could have used the Roos money to get someone who knew what they were talking about. We missed an opportunity to rehire experience at a lower market price due to COVID. heartless, I know, but all corporations were/are doing it. Instead, we maintain the sh*t that has got us nowhere for the past 20 years. How Gowans was replaced by Crocker is beyond me.

I don't have the answers for any of this, it's just very disheartening to see this go on

I thought we had $$ for medical staff in the soft cap?

The better physiotherapists do not work at AFL clubs, generally the money is lower there than other workplaces.

If I was to draft in my own team to run the medical side of things down at NMFC, I would bring back one former NMFC physio who is currently working with a different football code AND interstate with his own practice.
The second would be a person who has been with an elite sporting team that won 2 grand finals in 8 years plus numerous finals
(and one losing GF), has been with that sports national team, does consulting work for two other sporting organisations.

The club needs to seek out individuals who have a proven track record of turning sports/athletes around, rather than going to the bottom of the barrel. Simply, seek out the best possible people and pay them accordingly, or, continue to be a joke.

What is he even doing on a football club board?!

Are NMFC board positions an entitlement for "good blokes"?

It has become the plaything of impostors.
Wayne Schwass is probably dead if Harry Unglik wasn't at our club:

“To Harry Unglik, he’s someone who I regard as a family member of mine because there were many times where I didn’t have the strength, courage or determination to continue on.

But to you my friend, my great friend, my dear friend, you never failed me, you never judged me and you never left me alone. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for everything that you contributed during that difficult period.

This is a reflection of everything you’ve contributed to me and I hope that in front of this North Melbourne family you accept my gratitude for everything you’ve done for me throughout my adult life."

But yeah, he's an impostor.

FFS.

Wayne Schwass is probably dead if Harry Unglik wasn't at our club:

This is completely & utterly besides the point.

This is not even remotely about Dr Unglik being a good doctor or a good person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back