Not open for further replies.

dommat

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2008
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ez8GOjGVUAEsQr_.jpg

The AFL has announced that Victorian fans will be allowed to purchase up to 10 tickets per transaction to games "to encourage larger families and friendship groups to safely attend and sit together at Victorian venues."

Did anyone buy between 7 and 10 tickets this morning?

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
View attachment 1112623
The AFL has announced that Victorian fans will be allowed to purchase up to 10 tickets per transaction to games "to encourage larger families and friendship groups to safely attend and sit together at Victorian venues."

What was the justification for limiting it to 6 in the first place? And they brought it in just after the ANZAC games on the weekend 🤦‍♂️

vaughnie

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd, Burton Albion
View attachment 1112623

It would have been nice for the AFL to actually make that information available in time to make arrangements with friends. I heard from a friend at 9.50 that the ticketing sites were advising a 10 ticket limit. The AFL FAQ site still says 6. Muppets.

Cyberdyne

Debutant
May 9, 2011
Croydon
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, Wild, and T-Wolves
any update on our package options we chose last year for staying on during COVID?
I chose piss up option but heard nothing.
50K AFL members pissing up at the same time :)

random__hero

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Blackhawks, SF Giants, 49ers, Jazz
any update on our package options we chose last year for staying on during COVID?
I chose piss up option but heard nothing.
50K AFL members pissing up at the same time :)

I chose the guest passes & the barcodes were in the same pack as my card which arrived in the mail last month.

I actually got an email from the membership dept. today with those same guest pass barcodes.

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
I chose the guest passes & the barcodes were in the same pack as my card which arrived in the mail last month.

I actually got an email from the membership dept. today with those same guest pass barcodes.

I downgraded to bronze which means I don't get marvel stadium access. But those guest passes mean I can go to a few games.

For people's information yes you appear to be able to just enter the barcode in isolation.

So it's not a guest pass in the sense AFL member +1 but a seperate ticket.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
View attachment 1112623

I got 7 tickets for the Blues v Bombers game.
No issues top deck row F or thereabouts, there were level one options available as well.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Is it risky letting my kid use a adult ticket at the G? Do they check?
There's been zero checking of concession cards so I'd imagine they just aren't looking at it anymore. It's all slow enough to get in as it is I doubt they want to slow it down any more.

kriles76

Club Legend
Jul 16, 2003
37° 44′ 00″ S, 144° 51′ 59″ E
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Keilor Bowls Club
There's been zero checking of concession cards so I'd imagine they just aren't looking at it anymore. It's all slow enough to get in as it is I doubt they want to slow it down any more.
With COVID - and having to now enter using mostly a phone rather then using your card or a paper ticket - I'd say they're a bit more relaxed with this. I've been to four games this year and nobody has asked to see membership cards or anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve been asked to show my membership card in 13 years
So if it's not yours does the owner of the membership get a warning or lose the membership on the spot?

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
So if it's not yours does the owner of the membership get a warning or lose the membership on the spot?

I wouldn't worry too much, I reckon they're just happy to have as many people as they can get in through the gates at the moment.

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
View attachment 1112623

I have no idea why they had a cap in the first place? Logic would tell you contact tracing a large group who purchased tickets together would be easier than singular tickets or smaller groups of people 🤦🏼‍♂️

TigerR

Senior List
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Think they check at finals time a lot more
Even then they are not serious. When I suggested they buy some visitors tickets on resale during finals a few years ago, it was all too hard for them. It would be easy to stamp some things out and reduce the waiting list at the same time. Perhaps they were scared they'd find there own employees reselling.

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
Even then they are not serious. When I suggested they buy some visitors tickets on resale during finals a few years ago, it was all too hard for them. It would be easy to stamp some things out and reduce the waiting list at the same time. Perhaps they were scared they'd find there own employees reselling.
Probably in the too hard basket now as the majority of the AFL members area is not taken up by actual AFL members with the infiltration of medallion club, corporates and high end club memberships

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What is the chances of a adult being busted with a junior ticket?
When you scan your ticket a coloured light used to flash on the top of the reader which showed the attendant whether it was adult, concession or child. This is at all gates not just AFL Member gates. I think these lights have long been replaced by screens but they still show what type of ticket it is. If there is an attendant watching when you scan and they see it shows child when you clearly aren't, then if they can be bothered they may question you and refuse entry. Same when it shows concession, they may ask to see a concession card. I don't think they care if you use a higher value ticket such as a child scanning an adult ticket. There are far more ticket scanners than attendants though, they can't watch them all and some of them don't really watch anything. Not sure how thorough the attendants are this year though, but I assume they still have some sort of duty to keep an eye on things otherwise people would start using those free infant tickets to get in. Then you have the AFL Member card checkers, these are separate staff who check membership cards and sometimes id to make sure it's your card, they typically hang around the area before you scan, but are normally only around for finals and big matches like Anzac day. I think I was checked once maybe 10 years ago.

Last edited:

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
When you scan your ticket a coloured light used to flash on the top of the reader which showed the attendant whether it was adult, concession or child. This is at all gates not just AFL Member gates. I think these lights have long been replaced by screens but they still show what type of ticket it is. If there is an attendant watching when you scan and they see it shows child when you clearly aren't, then if they can be bothered they may question you and refuse entry. Same when it shows concession, they may ask to see a concession card. I don't think they care if you use a higher value ticket such as a child scanning an adult ticket. There are far more ticket scanners than attendants though, they can't watch them all and some of them don't really watch anything. Not sure how thorough the attendants are this year though, but I assume they still have some sort of duty to keep an eye on things otherwise people would start using those free infant tickets to get in. Then you have the AFL Member card checkers, these are separate staff who check membership cards and sometimes id to make sure it's your card, they typically hang around the area before you scan, but are normally only around for finals and big matches like Anzac day. I think I was checked once maybe 10 years ago.
All of this, except they weren't checking AFL members for cards last week on ANZAC day. I've genuinely never been checked for any membership or concession card.

Sometimes the MCG staff check if the card matches the ticket.
Ie a silver adult ticket has a silver card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back