Opinion POLL: Wear them in the Showdown anyway? Your opinion.

Wear the Prison Bars in the Showdown and cop the punishment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like a fight as much as anyone, but we are starting from a position of weakness. We are basically owned by the AFL, so antagonising them any further will not end up well for us. Our financial position doesn't help. The AFL can hurt us in multiple ways. I don't see how wearing the bars on round 8 and potentially losing premiership points helps us in the short or long term, on and off the field.

I think we need to continue the fight, we don't give up on the objective of bringing the bars back, but we might have to wait many years for that to happen.

In the meantime, I'd love for the club to start wearing the black and charcoal/grey/silver bars as mentioned by others. It would still be the best guernsey in the AFL, it will sell very well and it keeps the bars in front of mind.

In summary, we retreat and compromise but continue the fight.

I will say though, I'm glad we've moved away from teal in our away and pre-season jumper. When you've got an official ambassador like Dwayne Russell calling teal a mistake, and oppo fans mocking our use of the colour, I think leaning into silver (for the away jumper) is a good decision.

The nays have it. At least I feel like I won something this week.
If you fight you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always lose.

I know, I know, we are only talking about tactics.

If you fight you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always lose.
I know, I know, we are only talking about tactics.

Losing a battle to win the war is how I would be looking at our current situation.

Antagonising the AFL (and Collingwood), while appealing right now, isn't as effective as going all out on our assault on the premiership this year.

Our focus right now should be:
1. Thrashing the Crows by a record margin with a crowd full of PBs and black and white.
2. Thrashing Collingwood at the MCG. Bigger the margin, the better.
3. Beating them again at home with a banner that reads "we will never give up the bars" and a crowd full of PBs

Koch and Richardson should also be building/strengthening relationships with Eagles and Freo as allies moving forward. Ideally having the Crows as an ally would be good but unfortunately they make Uncle Tom look militant.

We continue with our BBTB campaign, using the new content generated over the past week and take our gloves off in regards to McGuire the man, but maintain our respect for Collingwood the club.

A new part of our strategy should be consistent and constant correction of fallacies and mistruths about our club, the guernsey, and our history.

I would also be considering a tightening of our (BBTB) overall mission and purpose. Get real focus on what it is we are campaigning on (as opposed to what the club is pushing for).

elee

All Australian
Jun 10, 2017
Darling Point, Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leicester City FC
We have to fight a WAR just to wear our traditional colours once or twice a year?

That's crap!

- it's like Liverpool having a Red Jersey & no other clubs can have Red. No Manure, Not Arsenal..

1619742095905.png

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's no way that we should lose premiership points trying to make a point about the prison bars. However, there's no way this will go to court because as far as I'm concerned that when the AFL allowed Gold Coast to use red, yellow and blue as their colours that sets a precedence.
It just shows a typical lack of respect from the AFL that they are prepared to let a Qld franchise team use the state colours while saying we can't use black and white. The fact that AFL has trademark rights means that they probably win anyway but they don't want to look like the hypocrites they are. They want us to say nothing and suck it up.

We have to fight a WAR just to wear our traditional colours once or twice a year?

That's crap!

- it's like Liverpool having a Red Jersey & no other clubs can have Red. No Manure, Not Arsenal..

View attachment 1114884
Stoke, Sunderland and Southampton managed just fine when they were in the PL together and were all next to each other in alphabetical order. Truly staggering that the same type of rules don't follow here.

No. Doing something like that would be the quickest way for the AFL to make an ironclad ruling against us.

Koch and the marketing arm blew it after the 2014 Elimination Final, when instead of striking while the iron was hot, they brought out a teal guernsey and spent all summer focussed on the Farris Bowl.

The only way it would end up in court is on a contractual issue.
The only way we could take it to court is if we have a contract that is not being fulfilled.
The only way we could win in court is if we can prove that we have a contract that is not being fulfilled.

We're not taking this to court.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No. Doing something like that would be the quickest way for the AFL to make an ironclad ruling against us.

Koch and the marketing arm blew it after the 2014 Elimination Final, when instead of striking while the iron was hot, they brought out a teal guernsey and spent all summer focussed on the Farris Bowl.
I'm still waiting for a sax solo in the goal square.

Technically the prison bar is not black and white stripes. It is white stripes on a black background.

Should every team with white stripes in their guernsey bow down to Collingwood?

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No.
We'd lose 4 points and never get a chance to wear it again.
The best comeback to Collingwood this year is winning the flag , changing and chucking on the bars when we go up on stage and receive premiership medals.. and instead of yelling CatDog yell * eddie

What is the penalty for not playing 'The Power To Win' after winning?

Cheer, cheer the black and the white!
It is our heritage, history, and right!
Lift that famous guernsey high,
Wind-up the fat man, make him cry!

This is brilliant

No.
We'd lose 4 points and never get a chance to wear it again.
The best comeback to Collingwood this year is winning the flag , changing and chucking on the bars when we go up on stage and receive premiership medals.. and instead of yelling CatDog yell fu** eddie
This is my dream.

How do we get the crowd to chant this?

For ease of chanting, I'd change the second line to:

It's our hist'ry and our right!

That last line is incredible. Would the cheer squad put this on a banner?

Just add it to TJ’s pregame tunes.

Just add it to TJ’s pregame tunes.

Oh god he likes some crap. He may be a leader of men, but I wouldn't let him anywhere near my stereo at a party.

Technically the prison bar is not black and white stripes. It is white stripes on a black background.

Should every team with white stripes in their guernsey bow down to Collingwood?

If you ask Eddie, the answer is clearly 'yes'.

He's forced issues on guernseys with us, St Kilda and North Melbourne.
Classic bully.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How do we get the crowd to chant this?

For ease of chanting, I'd change the second line to:

It's our hist'ry and our right!

That last line is incredible. Would the cheer squad put this on a banner?
There is a syllable missing in that second line then. Would need to be:

It's our hist-o-ry and our right!

Back