Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara 2021 (Rolling into year 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to have some more agility this season, looks clean around his legs
I was thinking a similar thing watching that. He's moving laterally out of traffic and isn't afraid to power through and break out of tackles (which would put a lot of force straight down through the core and his legs). I also reckon his acceleration has increased a bit. Seems to be bursting away from the packs a lot more, but that could just be a result of him being able to play a more offensive role rather than a reactive defensive one.

Whatever the case he's in great form and condition at the moment. Here's hoping it continues for a long time.

I do recall an article talking about how severe JOM's injury was though

It's so severe that few NFL players who have the injury manage to play another game as a starter, or they fade quickly afterwards and are done.

Jaeger's a rare exception at this stage, couldn't be happier for him.

There have been exceptions in the NFL too, and that game is definitely a whole lot harder on player's bodies.

Future looks bright for JOM and the Hawks if his body allows him to play at where he's at now for a few more years.

It's so severe that few NFL players who have the injury manage to play another game as a starter, or they fade quickly afterwards and are done.

Jaeger's a rare exception at this stage, couldn't be happier for him.

There have been exceptions in the NFL too, and that game is definitely a whole lot harder on player's bodies.

Future looks bright for JOM and the Hawks if his body allows him to play at where he's at now for a few more years.

The NFL isn't harder on players bodies. They have potential for greater injury if something goes wrong, but they spend significantly less time on ground than the average AFL player, they play significantly less games in general, and perform significantly less movement over the course of the game.

AFL players run more KMs per game than a soccer player, and crash bodies together almost as much as a rugby player. It's probably the most physically strenuous ball game in the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NFL isn't harder on players bodies. They have potential for greater injury if something goes wrong, but they spend significantly less time on ground than the average AFL player, they play significantly less games in general, and perform significantly less movement over the course of the game.

AFL players run more KMs per game than a soccer player, and crash bodies together almost as much as a rugby player. It's probably the most physically strenuous ball game in the world.

I've been to around one to two hundred games of AFL, played it at lower levels until my body wouldn't let me anymore, and watch it fairly religiously for the most part.

I've been to around 20 NFL games, and I've never seen anything remotely like the kind of impacts you're witnessing at the ground.

Almost every singe play in the NFL ends with a car crash style collision somewhere on the field. It starts with the two lines locking up, and continues with blocks and tackles until the play is dead.

I'm sorry to disagree, but you just can't appreciate how big the NFL hits are, and how much bigger and faster their players are until you've been on the 50 yard line at ground level.

It's plain scary. Sure, players run a lot further in the AFL. There is no question it's a much more endurance based sport - you can tell by the body shapes.

You might even see similar hits in the AFL. But you'll never see anywhere close to as many per game, and they're not delivered with the same level of explosiveness.

Think Roughead on Hannebury in the GF every time the ball gets moved around.

I do love AFL, it's my favourite sport even in the current eyesore era.

But the calibre of athlete is just much higher in the NFL terms of speed and size, with maybe 2-3 guys on each AFL team in the same neighbourhood.

NFL hits are huge. The hits are definitely bigger than those hits in AFL these days, I'd say back in the 70's and 80's you'd argue otherwise.

The hits do sound louder too because of all of the gear.

i've always wondered what the AFL like if it was played in america

imagine a bunch of NBA players — 22 Nic Coxes, Buddy's etc. running around but half a foot taller

would be insane

Imagine LBJ or Westbrook type athletes.

Aaron Donald? Clowney? Gronk? They'd have to trim right down, but he would absolutely level players.

How about Tight End Kyle Pitts who just got drafted this morning at pick #4 to Atlanta - 198cm, runs a 4.4s 40 yard (36.57m) dash and weighs 111kgs. Absolute freak athleticism.

Last edited:
Imagine LBJ or Westbrook type athletes.

Aaron Donald? Clowney? Gronk? They'd have to trim right down, but he would absolutely level players.

How about Tight End Kyle Pitts who just got drafted this morning at pick #4 to Atlanta - 198cm, runs a 4.4s 40 yard (36.57m) dash and weighs 111kgs. Abssolute freak athleticism.
Would love the AFL to be a global game. However, upon reading your post, not sure if that is in our best interests lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back