Recommitted Steele Sidebottom [contracted and staying at Collingwood]

Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is he staying? Is he going? Have barely heard a thing about Steele this season.

Wont be anywhere near a flag at Collingwood for the remainder of his career. Does he chase one elsewhere?

AFL360 were trying to sell him to speed up Collingwood's 'rebuild' a couple of days ago.
What did they say his trade value was?
Given his age and form I wouldn't think he's worth that much.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Late r1 or R2 ...but it was only robbo ..so id not put too much stock in that. If a club could take him without having to pay too much in dollars , his trade value would change in my opinion. Id imagine a club in contention would find a spot for him and then he is probably worth a Fr1

tigerwill

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has no real trade value as a free agent. Personally, I would like to see him transition into a forward, immediately becoming a half forward with little midfield time.

HBFlanker

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon somewhere like a Port Adelaide could suit him. Or Brisbane on an opposite wing to Mcgluggage.

He's quite close with Goldsack i believe

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Fox Sort has him as a UFA in 2021. Doesn’t the AFL put out a list of players eligible for FA during the current year?

NO SS on this list

collingwood.jpg

Chris Mayne^
Scott Pendlebury
Josh Thomas*

NO SS on this list

collingwood.jpg

Chris Mayne^
Scott Pendlebury
Josh Thomas*
If he's OOC he'll be a free agent, he's well over the 7 years requirement and has been OOC since then, so it's just a matter of when his contract expires.

It's weird that Footywire says 2022. The bio section of their Sidebottom profile says:

Thursday, 10 March 2016

Steele Sidebottom signs a new five-year deal with Collingwood that will keep him at the club until the end of 2021.

The contract is understood to be worth around $3 million over the five years.

"I think having tasted [premiership success in 2010] I want to get that back and that's definitely a driving factor for me," Sidebottom said.

"Being in the leadership group now as well, it's my responsibility to help drive others to get to that place again, and I'm pretty confident with the list we've got that within the next couple of years it's definitely achievable."

Their club board contract thread (which I would consider more reliable than footywire) has 2021 too, and a link to the Collingwood website that says the same;

A free agent at the end of the year, Sidebottom emphatically showed he’s Collingwood through and through, signing a five-year deal that will tie him to the Holden Centre until the end of 2021.

Maybe the AFL website is now using footywire as a source? 🤔

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
If he's OOC he'll be a free agent, he's well over the 7 years requirement and has been OOC since then, so it's just a matter of when his contract expires.

It's weird that Footywire says 2022. The bio section of their Sidebottom profile says:

Their club board contract thread (which I would consider more reliable than footywire) has 2021 too, and a link to the Collingwood website that says the same;

Maybe the AFL website is now using footywire as a source? 🤔

FA is 8 and 10. 2008 draft ..so 2016 would be 8 and him RFA.. so , I agree, its only a matter of when the contract finishes for him being UFA

So he's contracted until 2022, and while I can't find anything official, he's definitely not on the free agency list (as pointed out above).

In 2018 The Age suggested;

Collingwood have moved to extend the contracts of a raft of senior players including Steele Sidebottom to improve their tight salary cap position and lock in key players after recruiting Dayne Beams and re-signing Darcy Moore and Tom Langdon.

It's understood the Magpies are working towards extending contracts of other key players such as Sidebottom and Will Hoskin-Elliott.

Sidebottom's five-year deal was due to finish at the end of 2021 but it's understood he is likely to have his contract extended until the end of 2022 while Hoskin-Elliott, who was locked in until 2020, is also set to sign a longer deal. Others are expected to follow.

In effect, Collingwood are following a similar path to Richmond, who extended the contracts of stars Jack Riewoldt, Alex Rance and Trent Cotchin before acquiring prized free agent Tom Lynch on a six-year deal worth close to $6.5 million.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
3rd rounderish, IMO he's a massively overrated player and always has been, media makes out like his skills are Greg Williams like, they aint, he can kick both feet but isn't great at either, handy type for those in a window.

Back