Recommitted Sam Weideman [re-signed for 2 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

I could see him going if he values opportunity more than high likelihood of success given how Melbourne appear to be placed. It would be the Collingwood and North type clubs likely to target him and likely to have early PSD picks.

An injury to any one of Gawn, Jackson, Brown or McDonald, or a downturn in form from McDonald in particular, would see Weideman into the team. A couple of losses would likely see him in to shuffle things around too. He may well come in and kick 25 goals in the last 10 games of the year and be fully established best 22.

A long way to go before trade target or PSD luring is likely.

If it did come to Weideman wanting out because he goes most of the season with little opportunity, I think it would be a trade for a pick in the 20s that Melbourne would begrudgingly accept.

the link is obvious .... would cost you a player of worth imo if its a trade. Could you get him in the PSD?
Depends how low we finish. I imagine 0% though because any KPF that would go through the pre-season draft, North would take them so I would have to imagine we would have to trade for him.

Weideman still 23, Brown 29 and McDonald 28. Weideman should be higher priority to keep as he fits the age profile of Melbourne’s core group around Petracca, Oliver ect..

would prefer trading one of the older 2 for nothing than trade Weideman for a higher pick but the other 2 are contracted. Melbourne would immediately have to look at drafting a young key forward or 2 to develop in time for when Brown and TMac significantly slow down

Depends how low we finish. I imagine 0% though because any KPF that would go through the pre-season draft, North would take them so I would have to imagine we would have to trade for him.

Probably ..although I read they were talking to Harry McK. at Carlton to go thru the PSD.

As a trade ..who would Coll trade for him?

Weideman still 23, Brown 29 and McDonald 28. Weideman should be higher priority to keep as he fits the age profile of Melbourne’s core group around Petracca, Oliver ect..

would prefer trading one of the older 2 for nothing than trade Weideman for a higher pick but the other 2 are contracted. Melbourne would immediately have to look at drafting a young key forward or 2 to develop in time for when Brown and TMac significantly slow down

Its not always about what you want. He is OOC. At his age..if he does not get used this year then he probably should look elsewhere.

To some degree the situation has been compounded by drafting Jackson in and trading in Brown

Its not always about what you want. He is OOC. At his age..if he does not get used this year then he probably should look elsewhere.

To some degree the situation has been compounded by drafting Jackson in and trading in Brown
100%, just saying what i would prefer.

Tom McDonald getting form back has also compounded the situation, Melbourne tried to move McDonald on last trade period with no takers, the plan was for Brown to partner Weideman in the forward line, Tom trained over the pre-season as a winger, if he was going to get back into the team it was going to be on a wing, injuries though to BB and W gave Tom that forward opportunity.

I’ve said on the Melbourne board, James Jordon out of the side, Brayshaw from the wing Jordon’s role, TMac to the wing and Weid into the team. Only way I can see them all playing but the team might be a bit too too heavy.

Probably ..although I read they were talking to Harry McK. at Carlton to go thru the PSD.

Yeah, don't think that is going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honestly, I don't know. Seems the only way we could get a notable asset is De Goey for late first and that is above Weidemans valuation.

Hope Carlton are looking at him..
We desperately need KPP, think he would come relatively cheap
You think he will go to the Blues?
I think most likely teams for him in terms of both need and situation are Freo, West Coast as a potential JJK replacement, Essendon as a potential Hooker replacement and Hawthorn due to sheer need. Carlton there is need but I think the situation is at least comparable at all of the above.

I can’t see how Collingwood pull it off given they’re still in cap hell AND need extra points right now for Daicos. It’s the worst situation to walk into.

They should but they don't have much/anything to exchange for him.
They could offer next year's first for Weideman and later 2022 picks. Would mean any deficit from a Daicos bid hits their first 2022 R2. So effectively:

Pre-trade 2022 draft hand: Deficit hit R1, R2, R3.....
Post-trade draft hand: Weideman, deficit hit R2, Melbourne's R2, R3, Melbourne's R3

Weideman + (latish) R2 + (latish) R3 for (early) R1 is probably overs, but Collingwood would probably do it. Maybe Melbourne first have to convert their 2022 R2 & R3 into an earlier R2.

If we could pay our 2022 R2, I'd jump at that deal for EFC!

But only because it underprices Weideman who I rate. Otherwise a key forward isn't really in our needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance he would move to the Suns? He is exactly what's needed there, would be guaranteed a starting spot, get to play second banana to B.King so not under massive pressure. No idea if he would entertain a move to Queensland though.

Collingwood seems like the most likely. Grandfather played at the Pies and they are desperate for a key forward.

I think he'd be worth a late first. The Pies can't trade any if their picks this year though so it would have to be a pick from next years draft or get a player involved.

I'd hate to lose him if I were Melbourne but it's not a bad spot to be when you have a promising key forward playing VFL.

North and the PSD is an interesting option. Especially with our cap space.

He's definitely no guarantee of anything but bit part games over the next few years.

Turns 24 in a few months.

Worth a mid to late first rounder. A ready to go KPF where leading KPFs are having a big say on matchdays again.
I think he backs himself in and stays.

Would he really want to go to Collingwood? Looks like they're starting a rebuild, and he's already had 5 years with only a single year in finals. There will be other teams looking up the ladder who can probably guarantee him playing time. Hell, Richmond might want him to replace Riewoldt, goes straight into a premiership favourite.

Worth a mid to late first rounder. A ready to go KPF where leading KPFs are having a big say on matchdays again.
I think he backs himself in and stays.
I honestly think Melbourne will prioritise getting him into the team. They really won't want to lose him.

But, I think if he doesn't play, and does go, his value will fall below first rounder. His potential is still high but outside of 2018 he doesn't have a huge number of runs on the (AFL) board. If he doesn't play this year, I think his value falls to second rounder of some level.

Would he really want to go to Collingwood? Looks like they're starting a rebuild, and he's already had 5 years with only a single year in finals. There will be other teams looking up the ladder who can probably guarantee him playing time. Hell, Richmond might want him to replace Riewoldt, goes straight into a premiership favourite.

I honestly think Melbourne will prioritise getting him into the team. They really won't want to lose him.

But, I think if he doesn't play, and does go, his value will fall below first rounder. His potential is still high but outside of 2018 he doesn't have a huge number of runs on the (AFL) board. If he doesn't play this year, I think his value falls to second rounder of some level.

all fair points. I think playing sneior footy would be #1 but if he was offered a role at another top team like rich etc. Id like him at geelong but Hawkins doesn't look like he is going anywhere for a while.

Hasn't been injured for 4 weeks. Didn't even come back after a 7 goal game in the VFL.
What, you think the D's should have elevated him into the unbeaten 1's, against the Tiges on a Friday night game, at the G, and in the wet conditions.
I don't think that makes any sense at all.

This week in Hobart, against Nth, naturally, BBrown will make his club debut.
Weide will follow, soon enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back