Roast Our medical team / Injury prevention and conditioning staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Too late. Melbourne did last year. Flying now.

Dropped the ball on that. This appointment is jist as important if not more than the head coaching gig. No point getting all these draft picks if they can't get on the field or don't develop.

Look at Melbourne now?!

This appointment should be just as important as any coach. Top priority stuff.

Just checking, when you say you want the whole board sacked, that includes the guy who has been a senior medical officer in football for 35 years, yeah?
Who has been on it since Christmas cos he's responsible for the last 5 years.

The counter argument to all this is that we have had 4 blokes this year with concussion which means "2 weeks".

Some of our other injuries are, a mass on a kidney, an infected toe, a mass in the nasal passage, a guy tearing a pec which one would assume had nothing to with the previous quad injury, an ACL and so on.

Somehow we got many more games out of an ageing Higgins and Waite than other clubs did when they were in their prime years.

I doubt anyone could actually mount an argument that Garner, Wood, JWS and Jacobs would be 200 gamers at other clubs.

Are we fit enough? I don't think so. Are we skilled enough and execute this under pressure? I don't think so.

But many of our injuries are just plain bad luck and drafting guys who are/were prone.

That said Harvey and Blakey "The Temple" were fit as and did not suffer soft tissue injuries.

Lots of Sports Science experts here, just like the Facebook page is littered with credentialed coaches.
Lots of so called 'experts' at the club as well - they get paid and masquerade themselves as 'professionals'.

Anyone even hinting that we are even average in the area of S and C are kidding themselves - our record is appalling and those responsible (and those who let them be responsible) need to be held accountable.

On the surface I agree but he came in over the summer I think? Ziebell commented late in preseason how great our availability was so there wouldn't have been much for him to base a triage on.

He's got all the evidence he needs now and if no changes to personnel or structure come out of this year then neither Harry nor the club are fair dinkum about improving.

Correct he arrived too late, next year just watch us run and *en run. We're into the third year of a dreadful program which and don't laugh was built on injury reduction.
If my life is currently a mess, it was still better than our clubs player management 2018-2021, and fyi that's not good

Correct he arrived too late, next year just watch us run and fu**en run. We're into the third year of a dreadful program which and don't laugh was built on injury reduction.
If my life is currently a mess, it was still better than our clubs player management 2018-2021, and fyi that's not good

Mate, I saw a number of preseason sessions from late Jan onwards. Some blokes were struggling to run the length of the ground full pelt.

Been a mess for years. My cousin's husband did 2 weeks of placement at North in the hope of landing the vacant physiotherapists role.

He couldn't get out quick enough.

The Sports medicine program was overseen by a GP. A young draftee by the name of Ben Cunnington complained to this GP (Dr.Con) of soreness in a foot upon running. He was advised to ''keep an eye on it, tell me if it gets worse''. Cunners, not altogether confident of this advice approached my cousin's husband, who requested scans and diagnosed him of a stress reaction in the foot, which was at virtual snapping point. Cunners missed the first part of the season, but it could have been so much worse.

All comes down to dollars. The big boys can spend up big getting the best in, whilst we 'make do' with a lesser number of satisfactory practitioners.
So you can move the medical team out of budget buildings but you can’t move the budget to the medical team in the new buildings?

Since Choco arrived ports skills have improved 10 fold

Apparently that’s one of his main focuses. Foot and hand skills, under pressure etc
It was also the main focus of Chris Pelchen when he was appointed recruiting manager at Hawthorn. He didnt care where players were rated in the draft. If they weren't skilled clean users by hand and foot then they weren't coming to Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have been crap at skills under pressure for years

For as long as I’ve been supporting North (since 1986), we’ve always favoured effort and attack on the ball/man over pure football skill - in my opinion. Of course, we’ve also been blessed with some seriously skilful and talented players along the way (Carey, McKernan, Grant, Harvey, Wells, Waite...). Our fortunes rose and ebbed, based on the number of elite guys we could add to the blue collar mix. Right now we have no elite skilled mature players (apart from Ben + Tarrant and Polec who are both injured) on our list. Add to this, the fact that, for the first time in living memory, we’re adopting a game plan that favours ball skill over effort and you can see why we are where we are - at this point in time. The plus side is that we’re rolling in young skilful players (or, at least, we’re trying), such as Powell, Phillips, Lazarro and Stephenson. However, we do need the effort and grunt to back these young skilful guys up. That’s been sadly missing. Zurhaar is hugely important and has been a massive disappointment in that area this season. An up and about Zurhaar, I believe/hope, has the capability to kickstart our season and make us competitive again. To be really competitive is a non-negotiable always - regardless of results. A North team with Ben, Jed, Zurhaar, Ziebell and Garner firing on all cylinders will always ensure we can hold our own. Right now, we’re down to Cunners and Jack to try and hold the fort.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's no coincidence we have a massive injury list and rubbish fitness and conditioning. Injury is a consequence of poor conditioning, imo and you can't have one without the other. Heads are sure to be rolling at seasons end if the board are serious about getting us another flag.

Somehow we got many more games out of an ageing Higgins and Waite than other clubs did when they were in their prime years.
Fair comments. Some are just plain unlucky - EWV is a prime example of that. But the youth in recent years leave a lot to be desired.

Both higgins and Waite attribute their rebound to saunders and meehan. I don't see anyone at the club praising our current staff.

Fair comments. Some are just plain unlucky - EWV is a prime example of that. But the youth in recent years leave a lot to be desired.

Both higgins and Waite attribute their rebound to saunders and meehan. I don't see anyone at the club praising our current staff.

Actually, the last time we wrere tracking well was under the groin guru.

Correct he arrived too late, next year just watch us run and fu**en run. We're into the third year of a dreadful program which and don't laugh was built on injury reduction.
So fitness hey, Fly? Running up and down on the spot after ht was good. Did we hand out cement boots at the break?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Significant issue.

We desperately need a clean out. Needs to be ******* addressed ASAP.

As you can see we have the drive and the strategy for the first 2 quarters but once again injuries, fitness and conditioning is destroying us.

Melb just ran all over us in the last half like everyone has this year and will continue to happen until it’s been resolved.

We desperately need a clean out. Needs to be ******* addressed ASAP.

As you can see we have the drive and the strategy for the first 2 quarters but once again injuries, fitness and conditioning is destroying us.

Melb just ran all over us in the last half like everyone has this year and will continue to happen until it’s been resolved.

It’s our lack of ball skills that causes this, not fitness. We have to work so hard to recover from unnecessary turnovers that we eventually run out of steam. The key is to cut down on those turnovers. We should have been seven goals up at halftime, if it wasn’t for those turnovers. They are energy-sapping to the nth degree.

It’s our lack of ball skills that causes this, not fitness. We have to work so hard to recover from unnecessary turnovers that we eventually run out of steam. The key is to cut down on those turnovers. We should have been seven goals up at halftime, if it wasn’t for those turnovers. They are energy-sapping to the nth degree.

If a team runs out of gas guess what happens? Lack of one and ones, lessened ability to get to a contest, more opposition pressure = turnovers and lack of skills

We looked clean and had elite skills in the first half when we had legs?! Then after the second half, due to our lack of fitness and ran out of steam, we started to fumble, couldn’t keep up the pressure and our skills went to s**t. It’s easier to use our skills when there is shitloads of space and uncontested ball. As soon as that drops off the opposition had free players everywhere and it made it way easier for them to execute by foot and hand. This is not a ******* coincidence.

How come every opposition is able to score and run over us in every 4th quarter? Even if we had the best skills in the comp it wouldn’t make a difference if we are unable to run out games.

I’m sorry but it was a game of 2 completely different halves today and it again, exposed us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back