Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
A player can be nominated once per season (so they can be nominated in consecutive seasons)
11 players have been nominated twice in consecutive seasons

risingstar.PNG

That's part of being a 20 yr old in his first full year.

Think it could have something to do with his delayed pre-season with that back injury, as last year he was regularly clocking pretty big TOG numbers.

His TOG so far this year has been: 66%, 69%, 73%, 83% and 87% last week, so he's been eased back to the level he was getting last year. His tank has never been an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beyond our out and out Champions like Clegg, Skilts, Bedford, Kelly, theplayers I have had the soft spot for have been those battling to get a game and then shining.

Stewie Gull, McGowan, Luffy, LRT, Round and Kirk.

I really thought this kid was gunna be a battler. I have revised my opinion. He is class and is a toughie.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Liked how well he pushed into defence this game. Didn't have a huge number of touches or anything but was influential with his body work, taps, and little handballs. Shows he can influence even when he's not getting everything his way.

Also, rarely wastes a set shot, which is a brilliant trait.
Twice he was last man in defence. The second time 90 seconds or so later he kicked his goal.
He is very disciplined in his play and positioning, which I'm sure the coaches love.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Twice he was last man in defence. The second time 90 seconds or so later he kicked his goal.
He is very disciplined in his play and positioning, which I'm sure the coaches love.

I was watching a snippet of OTC earlier in the week and Gerard Healy was saying that the wing position has changed a lot lately in that coaches don't expect huge possession numbers from them as much anymore as the ability to be first into defence and first to support in attack. The unrewarded and rewarded running they have to do has become a real measuring stick for them. He didn't rack up touches but he was around important contests doing the right thing time after time. McInerney played the role perfectly last night and I reckon the coaches would've loved how frequently he popped up deep in defence helping out.

I don't rate these player ratings at all and have not even been blown away by McInerney's form but nonetheless it's great to see his rise reflected here comparative to the rest from his draft year. That's some pretty quality company he's in there. (I'm assuming Butters would have been included but their criteria was a minimum of five games played this season so he hasn't played enough.)

70B341EA-73A1-4CC8-AE82-FD825C0E5507.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back