2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

While I'm here, do you guys see Austin Harris as a realistic chance of getting a spot on your list? There's obviously talent there but feels like he's similar to a lot of what you already have as both a defender and forward
I doth think we've got a huge number of small defenders.
Think he just comes in for Harbrow effectively.
Budarick+Harris / Lemmens small/mid / Bowes and co the next size up
Depends on list numbers though

A couple of them are kicking a lot of goals in other leagues ,Cody Stakenberg ex Lions academy got 20 in today's game for the pies ,there's a lot of Qld talent being burnt. Cody and Reeves made a lot of our listed players look ordinary today
Reeves? His decision making is atrocious, only thing he made look ordinary was himself

Usual case with Brodie his 41 touches don't tell the story of how he fared.

He worked hard today. Lacked polish but his disposal was better than normal.

Saying that I think Atkins will be the next called up. I think he was cotton balled in the last? Could be an indicator.

Reeves? His decision making is atrocious, only thing he made look ordinary was himself
Least he got the pill , three senior listed players got it 10 or less. The elephant in the room is that some of our high press small forwards have terrible goal kicking records

It's going to be really difficult for Dew to ignore Brodie's 41 disposals against a Victorian AFL reserves team...
Dew will find a way don’t worry. And if he does bring him in he will play him as a defensive forward like he did against Adelaide to give himself an excuse to drop him again a week later 🤷🏻‍♂️

He worked hard today. Lacked polish but his disposal was better than normal.

Saying that I think Atkins will be the next called up. I think he was cotton balled in the last? Could be an indicator.
Yep, agree that he worked hard, but just think he could do so much more with his touches. Not to mention his direct opponent running rampant for periods of the game.

Certainly though his stoppage craft is elite and he frees up players with some very nice handballs. That was on show for moments tonight.

having the ball 20 times and turning it over 10 of those times is worse then only getting 10 touches.
What do you say about Aces inability to hit the scoreboard again, Rosa playing way under his ability consistently and don't get me started on Hombsch and Murdoch , they are probably looking up Seek for next year. Reeves problem is foot skills ( you can fix that ) , footy brains and determination to get the ball you can't teach

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you say about Aces inability to hit the scoreboard again, Rosa playing way under his ability consistently and don't get me started on Hombsch and Murdoch , they are probably looking up Seek for next year
last week you suggested putting Murdoch in the seniors to see if he still has it.

Ace no good
Rosas not playing to his strenghts

What do you say about Aces inability to hit the scoreboard again, Rosa playing way under his ability consistently and don't get me started on Hombsch and Murdoch , they are probably looking up Seek for next year. Reeves problem is foot skills ( you can fix that ) , footy brains and determination to get the ball you can't teach
Ace isnt AFL standard and don't think he will be. Rosas had a quiet game after a great game last week. Small forwards usually go through that, Murdoch and Hombsch are who they are, honest foot soldiers that fit VFL level. Dont see anything in Reeves as a player for AFL level, Jefferies was quiet but he is always going to be a project player, Bella is the best chance of the Academy kids at his size and marking ability. Has good forward leading patterns too, lots to work with

last week you suggested putting Murdoch in the seniors to see if he still has it.

Ace no good
Rosas not playing to his strenghts
Think after today a couple of them have been told they won't play seniors . Last year showed that once Dew has made his mind up your gone. Murdoch should be getting a least 20 possessions

Think after today a couple of them have been told they won't play seniors . Last year showed that once Dew has made his mind up your gone. Murdoch should be getting a least 20 possessions
After today?
Murdoch hasn't played since 2019.
If it is not glaringly obvious that they have found other better options or prefer to trial youngsters in his role then I don't know what to say.
Think this has been well clear to most, probably including Jordan himself, for a long time.

Aiden Fyfe definitely deserves some credit. Been good in all our VFL games this year from what I've seen. Might be a sneaky chance to debut soon if he continues his form.

The commentator seemed to like the look of Jack Johnston (195cm) and Will Bella (194cm). Nice to see some of our academy talls getting noticed and I wonder if Johnston is a chance to be picked up by us in the mid-season draft. I think we could use another tall defender on our list given we really struggled that week that we were missing Ballard.

Did someone mention earlier in this thread that it appeared Joel Jeffrey had grown a few centimetres and may be KPP height now? The reason I ask is because he was 192cm last year so even a few extra centimetres would definitely put him into the KPP range when you consider a guy like Tex Walker is only 2cms taller than Jeffrey was last year. Some will say he's too skinny but Joel's father Russell was a hard nut for St Kilda so I wouldn't be surprised to see Joel end up with a big body once he gets a few preseasons under his belt.

Aiden Fyfe definitely deserves some credit. Been good in all our VFL games this year from what I've seen. Might be a sneaky chance to debut soon if he continues his form.

The commentator seemed to like the look of Jack Johnston (195cm) and Will Bella (194cm). Nice to see some of our academy talls getting noticed and I wonder if Johnston is a chance to be picked up by us in the mid-season draft. I think we could use another tall defender on our list given we really struggled that week that we were missing Ballard.

Did someone mention earlier in this thread that it appeared Joel Jeffrey had grown a few centimetres and may be KPP height now? The reason I ask is because he was 192cm last year so even a few extra centimetres would definitely put him into the KPP range when you consider a guy like Tex Walker is only 2cms taller than Jeffrey was last year. Some will say he's too skinny but Joel's father Russell was a hard nut for St Kilda so I wouldn't be surprised to see Joel end up with a big body once he gets a few preseasons under his belt.
There were some recruiters at the game. I saw an essendon one. You can see by looking at their backpacks, and usually the ones with a fold up chair lol

There were some recruiters at the game. I saw an essendon one. You can see by looking at their backpacks, and usually the ones with a fold up chair lol
I guess that's just the nature of playing a VFL game in Melbourne. In sight, in mind.

Probably one of the few chances Vic recruiters will have to scout our academy prospects this year.

I'm sure Will Bella is a name on some recruiter's lips now.

Yeah Jeffries looked taller than Bella to me.

I like the look of Bella.
At 18 years old and a big lad he has an interesting play style. Marked on the lead a number of times, not really using his big frame in contested marking situations. That is very encouraging to me as you would expect this aspect to improve as he learns to use his body. As Supersuns mentioned. His leading patterns seem quite advanced. 7 marks today

Also seems to kick it fairly straight for goal - Nice goal from directly in front and hit the post from a relatively acute angle ~30m out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back