Preview Round 7, 2021: Saints v Hawks, at Marvel, Sat 1st May @ 4:35pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really hope Finn tags Steele. Finn's a tantalising prospect as a tagger - his body is big enough and his core is strong enough that trying to wrestle him would be difficult. His acceleration isn't great but his baseline speed is good enough to match most midfielders. His endurance is elite so when his opponent starts to tire he'll get even more effective. He's regularly racked up 8+ tackles at BH so his defensive work is definitely improving. And his contested work is good enough that he has the ability to win the ball against the opponent he's tagging.

Of course this is all in theory and it likely won't all come together in his second proper game but there's only one way to see it in action.

View from the nosebleed

A place to discuss all things sport.
Aug 11, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Happy to see Gunston back.
Rapt to see Jeka in
Shattered to see the outs though.

I like the fact Finn gets a full game this week, and hope he can get involved, same with Cousins. Great chance for Worpel to shine, Hoping we see Impey get more of a run through the middle, same with CJ

Either way, it's become a tougher chance for us to win the game, but still think we're a sneaky chance

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jeka, Gunston in here comes the Buddy’s box Tactic with Jeka,Kosi,Lewis and Gunston about time.

“The definition of insanity is playing some players over and over again, but expecting different results and performances.”

I had no confidence of a win going into this game regardless of who was going to be out there.

Saints have a better connection than anything we have shown for the last 12 months, even considering the recent bad form.

the ins and outs don’t have me disappointed at all, because as far as I’m concerned we’re looking after our absolute ferraris for another day and also giving a bunch of new faces an opportunity to show their stuff.

This is all part of the build.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
The game will be interesting general soreness/general tanking you take your pick, our two best midfielders are out this game.

No issue with the decision but why get so excited to beat Adelaide last week? Set a plan in place and keep to it. Don't win those games!

Let's be honest Bellend Bartlett said he needs to stop winning those Adelaide games, Clarko solved it... with selection this week. I don't like Bartlett either but he made a prediction and it came true.

Strange days, love that Jeka gets a run, not sure unless a miracle happens on this years performance the ball will reach our forward line maybe Bruest and Gunna straight in there, it's a worse midfield than the Schwab years and that is saying something.

In saying that with the way the Saints are going unless Ryder pantses the completely out of form BB we probably still can win.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had no confidence of a win going into this game regardless of who was going to be out there.

Saints have a better connection than anything we have shown for the last 12 months, even considering the recent bad form.

the ins and outs don’t have me disappointed at all, because as far as I’m concerned we’re looking after our absolute ferraris for another day and also giving a bunch of new faces an opportunity to show their stuff.

This is all part of the build.
It's more than bad form, have you watched all their games this year?

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
The good thing is maybe Clarko's realised where we truly are, and what is the best way to get us truly back. Which would be the original way he ummm got us back lots of draft picks or without those 1 super draft pick and a sh*tload of free agents... And a lot of trading.

It's more than bad form, have you watched all their games this year?
It may be. But they’re also had better games this year than anything we have done for the last 12 months.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The game will be interesting general soreness/general tanking you take your pick, our two best midfielders are out this game.

No issue with the decision but why get so excited to beat Adelaide last week? Set a plan in place and keep to it. Don't win those games!

Let's be honest Bellend Bartlett said he needs to stop winning those Adelaide games, Clarko solved it... with selection this week. I don't like Bartlett either but he made a prediction and it came true.

Strange days, love that Jeka gets a run, not sure unless a miracle happens on this years performance the ball will reach our forward line maybe Bruest and Gunna straight in there, it's a worse midfield than the Schwab years and that is saying something.

In saying that with the way the Saints are going unless Ryder pantses the completely out of form BB we probably still can win.
My understanding is there’s a clear top 2 draftees this year, ones going to north and the other is tied to collingwood, so if we end up with pick 3 or pick 6 I don’t think it’ll really matter. We aren’t bad enough to finish below north so probably no need to go the full tank

The good thing is maybe Clarko's realised where we truly are, and what is the best way to get us truly back. Which would be the original way he ummm got us back lots of draft picks or without those 1 super draft pick and a sh*tload of free agents... And a lot of trading.
We get the same amount draft picks wherever we finish.

I think Clarko knows where we are at.

There's probably a word for people who want to see Hawthorn lose, but it isn't supporter.

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
It's an interesting case of armchair psychology. 3 flags as a youngster, before 22(?). Off back home on big coin to play with your brother. Then back to Vic again.. probably not really interested anymore.
U know the reason he left and we'll leave it there. Coming back was for money and to 'reconnect'. Wasn't the smartest thing to do. He should have stayed in WA. But geez at his peak at Hawthorn with 3 premierships at 22 he was perfect for us. He ran more defensive lines to block a player option and the opposition second guess would he get there and change there minds than anyone since Chance Bateman. Could Smithy do it? yeah, but him doing it also allowed Smithy who was a far longer kick to do both and knew he had a back up covering him when he took the game on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back