VFL 2021 VFL R3 v GC (Fri 30-Apr 4pm @ Olympic Park) - [live stream]

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree.

Above all else Buckley favours effort. Or more precisely, the appearance of effort. Which is why Cal Brown, Josh Thomas, John Noble and Chris Mayne are so entrenched in the AFL team, even though their impact with the ball is modest.

Sier has class and reads the play and ruck tap far better than most but looks lazy at times, is slow to get up when knocked over and should push himself harder to get to the next contest. But when he does get it, he has a big impact.

Frustratingly, all of Sier’s deficiencies are in his own control but I get the feeling that he and Bucks don’t like each other and it might take a new coach, or a new team, to get him to pull it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Buckley wouldn't be the type to relate to downhill skiers or those that need their hands held all the time.

Dib looks a star. Do not need to recruit any more small forwards / mids. He and Nicky D will do. Get Jacob Edwards in MS draft instead.

Henry obv good. Still a better option than C Brown, but understand the no need to rush approach... will be a player
Wilson impressive.... lukosius role for us in the ones, in time?
Tohill also showed signs, and is ahead of Kelly going by that game. Sadly...
Reef the ex factor to nab the winner. Obviously improving his fitness too, to shine right at the end.
Tyler showed glimpses, but not getting enough of it.
VFL listed players ordinary
VFL is the right level for lynch
Shame no McMahon... the one I was most looking forward to seeing

overall a great effort to come from behind, but similar issues to the ones.
Ball movement, structure and decision making terrible at times. Does not paint a good picture for our coaches.

Didn't watch the entire game. Food beckoned.

Wilson emerged from the realm of myth, looked like a football player.

McInnes worked hard and made himself more prominent. I think he's coming from behind in fitness(?), and maybe he was heavily rotated, but he impressed me.

No one impressed me as much as Henry: marked high balls, with the flight, and especially on the lead. He didn't get full reward but there's nothing obviously wrong with his kicking action.

Sier was very good, creative. We need him to be a senior player, need him to want to be a senior player.

In my opinion, the absence of Elliott has cruelled the seniors forward line, made it predictable. Henry's debut suggested he was a long way off, but it isn't hard to see what he'll offer once he's had a good run in the VFL.

Buckley wouldn't be the type to relate to downhill skiers or those that need their hands held all the time.

Or relate to players that are offbeat, for whom footy isn’t an obsessive, 24/7 life-or-death pursuit.

There’s a lot that Sier could do to help his own cause but the facts are he’s a big bodied midfielder with clean hands, great peripheral vision and a big kick, who actually reads ruck taps really well. Lord knows we have a desperate shortage of that skillset in our AFL side but I don’t think Bucks can get past Sier’s body language issues. So instead he picks guys with great body language/effort but who have bugger-all impact.

I reckon if Sier was picked for the AFL side and left to play midfield for 4-6 straight weeks, he’d never be dropped again and the team would be better off for it. It’s not a big ask when you consider the dream selection rides that WHE, Thomas, Mayne, Noble and Cal Brown are enjoying.

I agree.

Above all else Buckley favours effort. Or more precisely, the appearance of effort. Which is why Cal Brown, Josh Thomas, John Noble and Chris Mayne are so entrenched in the AFL team, even though their impact with the ball is modest.

Sier has class and reads the play and ruck tap far better than most but looks lazy at times, is slow to get up when knocked over and should push himself harder to get to the next contest. But when he does get it, he has a big impact.

Frustratingly, all of Sier’s deficiencies are in his own control but I get the feeling that he and Bucks don’t like each other and it might take a new coach, or a new team, to get him to pull it all together.

Agree, Sier has his issues. Bucks doesnt know how to manage him. Like Stevo, Treloar, Shaw, Daisy.

It will take another club to iron Siers faults out for him to realise how good he can be. Which will be our loss.

Didn't watch the entire game. Food beckoned.

Wilson emerged from the realm of myth, looked like a football player.

McInnes worked hard and made himself more prominent. I think he's coming from behind in fitness(?), and maybe he was heavily rotated, but he impressed me.

No one impressed me as much as Henry: marked high balls, with the flight, and especially on the lead. He didn't get full reward but there's nothing obviously wrong with his kicking action.

Sier was very good, creative. We need him to be a senior player, need him to want to be a senior player.

In my opinion, the absence of Elliott has cruelled the seniors forward line, made it predictable. Henry's debut suggested he was a long way off, but it isn't hard to see what he'll offer once he's had a good run in the VFL.
It will be hard to not want to push these likely lads before they are capable of attaining full AFL match fitness.

Agree, Sier has his issues. Bucks doesnt know how to manage him. Like Stevo, Treloar, Shaw, Daisy.

It will take another club to iron Siers faults out for him to realise how good he can be. Which will be our loss.

Unless we get New Coaches ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few broad comments.

- Wilson, Sier and Henry were the three that presented themselves as options v North.

- The hype around Chugg through the pre-season was very misguided.

- McInnes building nicely.

- Brown looks nice when he has it, but he just doesn’t get it enough.

- Our VFL players are horrid.

- If you were judging Kelly on tonight’s performance alarm bells would be ringing. I counted three dropped marks on the night with two of them absolute sitters. We don’t judge players that way though so he gets the benefit of the doubt. Needs to be better!

Overall we look out of our depth at times so it’s amazing we won. Fumbles, turnovers, poor ball movement and poor decisions are the norm. Case in point Wilson is an exquisite kick on both sides of the body and we have Tohill taking the kick ins. It’s just dumb footy.

The problem with Sier is he looks good in the VFL and is a spectator in the AFL. He’s a good ordinary player. Give Henry a year in the gym and in the VFL and he’ll be a good player. Kelly pfff, Tohill next defender to come in, Reef needs a lot more time in the VFL, Ruscoe pfff, Wilson I’m not sure yet so no opinion, Lynch very good VFL ruckman and nice back up just in case, he’s improving all the time. Dib should get a spot next year.
I definitely agree with most of these assessments .
However, Sier is not a good ordinary player
He is an awful excellent player.

Sier had some real nice clearances, however he played on Brodie for ether most part. Brodie had it 40+ times. The hype on this board about this guy is totally unjustified. Delisting looms unless he changes his attitude.

Henry and Wilson were good. Reef played his best game for us so far. Picking up some fitness. Really liked his game.

Dib-San looks like he might have a few tricks.

Daisy. Really>?

Next it will be the Kennedy Assassination, the sinking of the Titanic,

Carlton was willing to pay Daisy a fortune, He had chronic injuries. And Collingwood was not.
He was fabolus for use, merely handy at times for the blues AT BEST, but not worth the coin he was being paid,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back