North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to be a fly in the room when you have to explain to Eddie that Josh Daicos will be going to North because of a new rule.

Would enjoy that experience immensely. McGuire has as much 'official' status as I do.

Had a half hour long and very entertaining debate with Elliot at the back of a French Restaurant. We were smoking durries.

If we're the first team in living memory to go winless then yeah that's pretty ******* dire. Either give the pick or get rid of the concept.

If we win a game then no.

F/off!! I was there. North are really copping their just desserts and I hope Alan Aylett is enjoying every moment.

If we're the first team in living memory to go winless then yeah that's pretty ******* dire. Either give the pick or get rid of the concept.

If we win a game then no.
Is it really in the AFL's interest to have a team getting belted every week, even if they happen to steal a win during the season?
If we forget the tribalism of who we support - as a competition it's just not a good look.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it really in the AFL's interest to have a team getting belted every week, even if they happen to steal a win during the season?
If we forget the tribalism of who we support - as a competition it's just not a good look.

Right , so the compo should be to help them get better right now not be a better chance of a flag in 5 years

Lot of Roos fans in here dismissing suggestions that would help now not long term

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Right , so the compo should be to help them get better right now not be a better chance of a flag in 5 years

Lot of Roos fans in here dismissing suggestions that would help now not long term
The compo could be priority access to state league talent, as was part of the Suns package a couple of years back.
They're largely kids getting belted every week.

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
The compo could be priority access to state league talent, as was part of the Suns package a couple of years back.
They're largely kids getting belted every week.
The problem with that is that the MSD distributes the best overage and state league players across all teams now, so that won't help as much anymore.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
The problem with that is that the MSD distributes the best overage and state league players across all teams now, so that won't help as much anymore.

I said the same thing for the suns a while back , the best help the AFL could give struggling clubs is veterans not kids

AFL Veteran Assistance package

- recent retired AFL players pushed out
of their existing clubs ie Kade Simpson

- paid by AFL outside the cap / list

- playing coach type scenario to
provide leadership and playing cover

- 2 year contracts , coaching
accreditation completed during
contract

If the aim is better ‘ bad ‘ clubs this is much better for that and has virtually no affect on anyone else

Kangas_11

Club Legend
Nov 14, 2013
Toronto
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Colts, Raptors, Milan, FU Crabs
I said the same thing for the suns a while back , the best help the AFL could give struggling clubs is veterans not kids

AFL Veteran Assistance package

- recent retired AFL players pushed out
of their existing clubs ie Kade Simpson

- paid by AFL outside the cap / list

- playing coach type scenario to
provide leadership and playing cover

- 2 year contracts , coaching
accreditation completed during
contract

If the aim is better ‘ bad ‘ clubs this is much better for that and has virtually no affect on anyone else

This would genuinely be the best solution by far. I posted on our draft board that we should be looking at Pendlebury for this exact scenario this offseason.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I agree, bit I still think PPs are drastic and should be reserved for longer periods of beltings.

I would make an exception for a winless season though. The difference between 1 and 0 wins is enormous in terms of whether a team is even remotely within being competitive. Its why it never happens.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hold on, who said we want a PP? This thread was started by a dogs supporter asking if we should get one, and if so where. So far there's been nothing to say North have actually asked for one.

They haven’t it was a badly worded sentence from me In a much larger post in response to another poster. Should have been worded better was meaning if after 12 months after that decision they want one.

But yeah was more in response to the poster I was responding to wanting one not the club wanting one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okra

Rookie
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The whole competition is based around equalisation so you are correct. The AFL should look at all mechanisms it can use to equalise the competition.

Priority picks are the easy and lazy option but there have been some good suggestions in this thread such as temporary increases to the soft cap. IMO for a long time Norths problem has been player development. Talented kids walk through the door, have a good season or two and then stagnate. We have recruited well respected coaches and good recruiters of late but the effects of this, if there are any, will take a few seasons to filter through. Not sure a priority pick will fix this but yeah I'm sure North would be happy with Horne and Johnny Sins from the next draft at 1&2.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I agree, bit I still think PPs are drastic and should be reserved for longer periods of beltings.

I would make an exception for a winless season though. The difference between 1 and 0 wins is enormous in terms of whether a team is even remotely within being competitive. Its why it never happens.

Way to premature to discuss North going through a winless season .
The whole competition is based around equalisation so you are correct. The AFL should look at all mechanisms it can use to equalise the competition.

Priority picks are the easy and lazy option but there have been some good suggestions in this thread such as temporary increases to the soft cap. IMO for a long time Norths problem has been player development. Talented kids walk through the door, have a good season or two and then stagnate. We have recruited well respected coaches and good recruiters of late but the effects of this, if there are any, will take a few seasons to filter through. Not sure a priority pick will fix this but yeah I'm sure North would be happy with Horne and Johnny Sins from the next draft at 1&2.

You can forget about pick 2. Not going to happen.

Not sure if North has recruited well respected coaches or recruiters either lately for that matter

Okra

Rookie
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Way to premature to discuss North going through a winless season .

You can forget about pick 2. Not going to happen.

Not sure if North has recruited well respected coaches or recruiters either lately for that matter
Brady Rawlings and John Blakey aren't well respected? I think most West Coast and Sydney fans would disagree.

That nobody rated until they were drafted in the ND. expecting clubs to pick diamonds isn’t particularly sustainable as an approach.
Both were rated as good prospects during the year they were drafted. Early second rounders they were predicted to go and that’s where they went. Everyone knew they both had something and clubs traded picks around just to get them.

Does a club deserve a priority pick if they deliberately tanked their list by trading or delisting a ton of senior best 22 players and not bothering to really replace them? Also they traded in players to top up their list for years without really embracing the draft and this is the consequence of that policy.

I’m usually all for the priority pick for struggling clubs but given the above, and the AFLs complete lack of interest in helping us when we were on the bottom year after year, I don’t think the Roos get one. They can suffer the consequences of their own actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back