Preview Sydney Swans vs Geelong Cats, Rd 7, Saturday May 1 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair SwasProudly I think we now have REAL depth. Stephens is in our plans. We can afford to put these guys in the reserves and let them develop. It is not a sign they are no good. It is a sign we can afford to put extra miles of development into them so that when they are ready, they are READY.
Ling is now a 4th year player.

Time is running out.

I think Ling is the understudy for Lloyd and Cunningham.

Small forwards are becoming more influential so it is still useful to have a quick small defender who can mark them.

You also have to remember, that a year ago most of us would have just been happy to see him have a consistent run of reserve games.

Last edited:

I do agree that Ling is running out of time, but I don't think he has to have a breakout year necessarily. If we see him as a lock down small defender then he will naturally be behind Lloyd and Cunningham, and if he doesn't overtake them this year that's fine imo.

If he doesn't show improvement in the reserves, or doesn't get picked at all then I would be worried, but I have a feeling that his KPIs are much more growth dependent

I do agree that Ling is running out of time, but I don't think he has to have a breakout year necessarily. If we see him as a lock down small defender then he will naturally be behind Lloyd and Cunningham, and if he doesn't overtake them this year that's fine imo.

If he doesn't show improvement in the reserves, or doesn't get picked at all then I would be worried, but I have a feeling that his KPIs are much more growth dependent

This is taking 1 and 1 and making it about 20 but I think they have a specific role for Ling. A kind of a hybrid between Lloyd and Nick Smith. Exploiting the unaccountable small forward.

Defenders seem to take longer to develop,, maybe because a big strength is their ability to read the play and play in the designed defensive structure. These things come with experience as much as raw talent.
I dont know what the Swans are planning, but Im happy to see Ling, Gould and OConnor play games together to build cohesion. If in reserves, then fine.
If the Swans rate all three, then Im happy in the way they're being developed.
A future back 6 of
- Oconnor & McCartin, Dawson & Gould, Ling... speed, mobility, height, strength, kicking (long and short) ability.
- Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham. Rampe will retire at the Swans, Cunningham too (most likely), I can see Lloyd being traded??
- COR, I like as depth. Reckon he's very loyal to the Swans and would be happy to be depth. Maybe Cunningham will be in that boat 2 years from now too.

Reckon we want another tall. Melican - not sure? P McCartin - health and is he a forward, maybe? Trade one end 2021, 22??

COR is a great inclusion. as good a player as Hewett is, reckon he looked lost down back
Stephens is a good in as well. Im not on the drop Blakey band wagon, but Im on the bring in Stephens one. Stephens deserves a run and a 90% fit Blakey deserves a run in the ressies.
McCartin coming back is ace.
and Hickey... f**k, hope he's ok?
The side doesn't look as good without Buddy, Reid and a fresh McDonald. Hopefully Heeney and Paps are in better health than last week, and those two plus Hayward, wicks, Gulden have big games

Swans by 2 goals, Stephens to get the rising star nom..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the medical experts are out in force in this thread again. Do doctoral degrees come in Nutri-Grain boxes now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be fair I've trolled through more x-rays in the last week than I have in my entire life....this makes me an expert at not understanding what I'm looking at but still having an opinion on what I'm utterly not qualified for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back