Preview Changes: R7 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Who got more of the ball last week & previous...

Fogarty or McAdam?
You show me one example of a post where I've suggested keeping McAdam...

Ideally, both would be playing in the SANFL, with Newchurch being given an opportunity instead of McAdam. Actually, I'd probably go with Newchurch instead of Rowe, but it's pretty much 50/50 choice between Rowe & McAdam as to which deserves less to be in the side.

Do you actually realise how much muscle that would be? :tearsofjoy:
Have you seen Fogarty? He's only slightly smaller than the Incredible Hulk. OK, slight exaggeration - but only slight.

I don't care what he's listed at on the AFL website, he obviously weighs 100+ kg. He needs to be around 90kg max, preferably closer to 85kg.

Jesus's Christ you argue to the most extremely absurd point don't you?
Same as your last reply to my post.

Do you even football?
HS doesn't football on most topics but he is actually right that Darcy will never reach the heights of Walker. I've never been Walker's biggest fan but he has always had great skills and it's only injury and loss of pace that has curtailed his career. I feel Walker's form will decline as coaches get back to clogging up backlines which has already began. He has never been a great one on one contested mark.

I have always wanted Darcy to to succeed but if I'm perfectly honest I have never felt he possesses the attributes you must have to succeed at AFL level. The biggest problem I have is how he thinks on the field. He is not quick with his mind which you must have if you are slow with your legs. The other concern is that after 4 years in the system he still doesn't look like a footballer and is still carrying 8-10 kgs too much. He may have a problem losing weight but if he is to succeed he must find a way to strip some of the weight off his frame. I think they will get rid of Himnelberg or Fogarty end of the year. Neither are going to star players but if I had a choice it would be Himmelberg. I would play Thilthorpe, Himmelberg and try and develop Worrell forward along with Cook once he gains some experience.

Have you seen Fogarty? He's only slightly smaller than the Incredible Hulk. OK, slight exaggeration - but only slight.

I don't care what he's listed at on the AFL website, he obviously weighs 100+ kg. He needs to be around 90kg max, preferably closer to 85kg.
Ok, if he’s like Lachie Jones give him that type role. But no, he kicks dead eye 60 etc. It would be a massive waste to unattach ourselves from his attributes

Re Fog - we've mishandled him since we recruited him, and I've said that consistently.

We recruited him when we had Walker, Jenkins, McGovern and Lynch all in the side. If we had competent list management, the recruiting of Fogarty would've seen us take action at the time.

We lost two of them not by our own choice (well, Jenkins 50/50); but we've never had a clear development path and plan in mind for Fogarty.
To be fair, that was the knock on him even before he was drafted, and probably the reason why he fell all the way to #12 in his draft - nobody could figure out what position he'd end up playing at AFL level. He's too immobile to play in the midfield, too short to be a genuine KPF, and too slow & bulky to play as a small forward. Adelaide grabbed him because he was from SA, and his potential was obvious for all to see - but as you say, they've spent the last 3 years scratching their heads, trying to figure out how to extract that potential from a physique which just isn't suited to modern AFL football.

We may be getting to the end of the road soon, giving up on a player who had bucket loads of potential, but a body shape which just wouldn't ever allow him to make the most of his talents. We'll never get that pick #12 back - it's a sunk cost. It may be almost time to write that pick off, and move forward in search of the next player with great potential.

HS doesn't football on most topics but he is actually right that Darcy will never reach the heights of Walker. I've never been Walker's biggest fan but he has always had great skills and it's only injury and loss of pace that has curtailed his career. I feel Walker's form will decline as coaches get back to clogging up backlines which has already began. He has never been a great one on one contested mark.

I have always wanted Darcy to to succeed but if I'm perfectly honest I have never felt he possesses the attributes you must have to succeed at AFL level. The biggest problem I have is how he thinks on the field. He is not quick with his mind which you must have if you are slow with your legs. The other concern is that after 4 years in the system he still doesn't look like a footballer and is still carrying 8-10 kgs too much. He may have a problem losing weight but if he is to succeed he must find a way to strip some of the weight off his frame. I think they will get rid of Himnelberg or Fogarty end of the year. Neither are going to star players but if I had a choice it would be Himmelberg. I would play Thilthorpe, Himmelberg and try and develop Worrell forward along with Cook once he gains some experience.
We don’t need Walker. We need to move on, then pieces will fit.

To be fair, that was the knock on him even before he was drafted, and probably the reason why he fell all the way to #12 in his draft - nobody could figure out what position he'd end up playing at AFL level. He's too immobile to play in the midfield, too short to be a genuine KPF, and too slow & bulky to play as a small forward. Adelaide grabbed him because he was from SA, and his potential was obvious for all to see - but as you say, they've spent the last 3 years scratching their heads, trying to figure out how to extract that potential from a physique which just isn't suited to modern AFL football.

We may be getting to the end of the road soon, giving up on a player who had bucket loads of potential, but a body shape which just wouldn't ever allow him to make the most of his talents. We'll never get that pick #12 back - it's a sunk cost. It may be almost time to write that pick off, and move forward in search of the next player with great potential.
You are being pedantic about Fogarty
I.m sure someone will get to the bottom of it.

We have bothered. Mackay is the backup. No need for anyone else
Mackay is the backup... once we've gone through Smith, Milera, Brown, McPherson, Hamill, and Hinge. We need 3 players out of that lot... Guess what? Only 2 are available this week, which is why Mackay is playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You makle the spot available. I'm of the opinion that Fogarty has the capability to be a genuine A grade forward.

It's this obsession with spots and structures that has me annoyed. We can easily fit him into that team.
We could & would, if he was actually capable of performing at the required level, more than once every 3 years. Sadly, he's not. It's not an obsession with spots & structures, it's the expectation that players selected will be capable of performing - and Fog has consistently shown that he isn't.

We do appreciate that you massively overestimate his actual achievement. His potential is clearly there - but to date his output has not. Thilthorpe has played 1x AFL game. Coincidentally, Thilthorpe & Fogarty have both now played the same number of good AFL games.

Extremely harsh on Fogarty to say it's his fault if his career is over given how we've dealt with his development.

Was it his fault he couldn't get a game when we played him as a defender for the first time ever?
Have you ever stopped to think & ask why they tried him as a defender? What were they trying to achieve by doing that?

The list management was by design though.

Agree on Mackay mind you, we need to hit the mid season draft and grab another small defender..... Because he isn't it.
We already have Smith, Milera, McPherson, Hamill, Brown and Hinge, all of whom are now preferred ahead of Mackay. It's just that 4 of them are MIA due to injury this week. How many more do we really need?

I would have thought Thilthorpe's demonstration of actual natural talent last week would have disabused this forum of the notion that Fogarty has any of it.
He has talent... it's just buried inside a body which resembles the Incredible Hulk, and in no way resembles that of an AFL footballer.

Fogarty's career with the Crows is over. They ended it in favour of David Mackay.

He'll do fine at a less stupid club.
Fogarty's career was ended by the selection of Berry. Mackay's selection has nothing to do with it.

If Brown (or Hamill) had been available this week, then Mackay wouldn't be playing and the changes would still have been Fogarty out & Berry in.

Fogarty's career was ended by the selection of Berry. Mackay's selection has nothing to do with it.

If Brown (or Hamill) had been available this week, then Mackay wouldn't be playing and the changes would still have been Fogarty out & Berry in.

No one cares about your pretend depth charts.

I recall him being talked about as a top 5 player in the draft. So we would have considered him for sure
He was a superstar in the underage comps, largely because he was a manchild. He flopped in the Nationals, and recruiters started to ponder what position (if any) he would actually be able to play at AFL level. As a result, he fell to #12 in the draft, where Adelaide grabbed him - partly because of the potential he'd shown in the junior age groups, but mostly because he was from SA.

Without the SA factor, they probably join the previous 11 clubs and decide to pass on the manchild with no obvious AFL position. Probably... but it's hypothetical, as we can never really know.

No one cares about your pretend depth charts.
It's got nothing to do with depth charts.

Mackay is replacing Brown, Murray is replacing Hamill, though you can flip those two around if you like. Either way, it's 2 defenders out for 2 defenders in.

Berry is replacing Fogarty in the midfield, and this was always going to happen regardless of what was happening with the defenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back