Preview Changes: R7 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

It's got nothing to do with depth charts.

Mackay is replacing Brown, Murray is replacing Hamill, though you can flip those two around if you like. Either way, it's 2 defenders out for 2 defenders in.

Berry is replacing Fogarty in the midfield, and this was always going to happen regardless of what was happening with the defenders.

Are depth charts another concept you don't understand?

Have you ever stopped to think & ask why they tried him as a defender? What were they trying to achieve by doing that?
Good question.

You'll have to ask the Crows why one year into a young key position forward's career they would try play him in defense and then switched him back forward after all of a month or two.

Seems like another really well thought out plan of ours.

Good question.

You'll have to ask the Crows why one year into a young key position forward's career they would try play him in defense and then switched him back forward after all of a month or two.

Similar to insisting that a guy transition to the midfield, playing him there for about 5 quarters, then dropping him again?

Have selectors forgot just how awful Mackay was in Round 2 as a defender?
They've pretty much run out of options. We have Hinge, Milera, Brown & Hamill all MIA due to injury. That leaves us with Smith, McPherson... and Mackay. Aside from that, we have (maybe) some 1st or 2nd year kids who may or may not be ready for the big leagues.

They've pretty much run out of options. We have Hinge, Milera, Brown & Hamill all MIA due to injury. That leaves us with Smith, McPherson... and Mackay. Aside from that, we have (maybe) some 1st or 2nd year kids who may or may not be ready for the big leagues.

Why play a first or second year kid who isnt ready for the big leagues when you can play a guy in his 16th season who isnt ready for the big leagues.

Similar to insisting that a guy transition to the midfield, playing him there for about 5 quarters, then dropping him again?
Look there's no similarities there. What you have to understand is that it's Fogarty's fault that he isn't performing. He should be good enough to play everywhere on the ground immediately

Look there's no similarities there. What you have to understand is that it's Fogarty's fault that he isn't performing. He should be good enough to play everywhere on the ground immediately

Except for forward. Even when he succeeds when played there he can't play there.

And was the definition of a slider who turned into a gun. Unlucky to not be AA in 2017, and we got two first round draft picks when he left. sh*t bloke, but was a good draft pick, you can't argue that.

You're missing my point...a gun for US. Where is he now? Not at the AFC, that's for sure. So keep going and tell me a top pick, one who slid to us and is still with us or played most of his career with us.

Great 1970 stylings

Good question.

They didn't do it for shits & giggles - there was definitely method in their madness, even if the method is not evident to you (or anyone else with a fixation on playing Fogarty as a forward).

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that they were trying to teach him how to get more involved in games, and getting him to learn the work ethic of other forwards by making him defend against them. Fogarty's work rate has always been poor, and that's being generous. I suspect they were trying to address this particular aspect of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever stopped to think & ask why they tried him as a defender? What were they trying to achieve by doing that?

He struggles to get separation from the defender. That is some combination of footy smarts/acceleration/fitness (repeat effort).
I actually think you're right about him needing to drop a little weight. He may not get much faster, but some will help. Sounds like fitness is in a good place now.

They didn't do it for shits & giggles - there was definitely method in their madness, even if the method is not evident to you (or anyone else with a fixation on playing Fogarty as a forward).

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that they were trying to teach him how to get more involved in games, and getting him to learn the work ethic of other forwards by making him defend against them. Fogarty's work rate has always been poor, and that's being generous. I suspect they were trying to address this particular aspect of his game.

We literally sacked all of the coaching and football staff involved, but they totally were dead right on this one.

They tried and failed. As anyone who wasn't on our coaching panel could have told them before they wasted the effort.

Luckily those coaches are no longer employed by us

How bout it make him more mobile than Tex when he isn’t offered a new contract

A bit disappointed in selection, I think we have the wrong philosophy. I feel you really have to persist with fog and give him minutes. Mackay should only ever be break glass solution, Murphy should be in brown’s position instead, McPherson needs a spell and worrell should be in. Would have been happy for McAdam to have a rest, seems to not be moving as well as normal past few weeks.
Mackay is a "break glass solution" - and with Milera, Hinge, Brown & Hamill all small defenders who are MIA due to injury, the glass is broken. If any one of those is available, then Mackay replaces Lynch as sub.

They tried and failed. As anyone who wasn't on our coaching panel could have told them before they wasted the effort.

Luckily those coaches are no longer employed by us
How much of that failure is on the coaches - and how much is on Fogarty, who is still one of the laziest footballers ever to represent the AFC?

At some point the onus has to fall on the player, and Fogarty's inability to get his s**t together this year, with a competent coaching group, proves that the problem is his, and not the coaches'.

Mackay is a "break glass solution" - and with Milera, Hinge, Brown & Hamill all small defenders who are MIA due to injury, the glass is broken. If any one of those is available, then Mackay replaces Lynch as sub.
Worrell can play tall and small.

Ok, if he’s like Lachie Jones give him that type role. But no, he kicks dead eye 60 etc. It would be a massive waste to unattach ourselves from his attributes
The problem is that this is the only attribute of his game which is AFL standard. Every other facet of his game is barely SANFL standard, if that.

Have a look at his stats page on the AFL website:
https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I999331/Fogarty-Darcy

He is elite in Kicking Efficiency, Disposal Efficiency, Goals, Goal Accuracy, and Marks on Lead. Every one of those, except for the last, are 100% related to his goal kicking accuracy (which is truly elite). Other than that, it's a sea of "below average" - disposals, kicks, handballs, I50s, effective kicks, effective disposals, metres gained, marks, tackles, pressure acts, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, intercept possessions, ground ball gets, goal assists, score involvements, and score launches. Fogarty is classified "below average" in every single one of those categories. In short, if he's not marking the ball on the lead and kicking the subsequent goal, then he's a complete non-factor in the game.

Players just can't make it in the AFL if they only have 1 weapon, and are truly awful at every other facet of the game. Sadly, that appears to be Darcy Fogarty's player profile.

Last edited:
For him to become more mobile than your average Stobie Pole, he'd have to lose at least 5-10kg of muscle bulk.
What, is he the Rock? He might tip 100 but I doubt it. Probably be about 95. You want him to be less than Carey in his day? It’s not about weight. It’s about who he’s shoving out.

The problem is that this is the only attribute of his game which is AFL standard. Every other facet of his game is barely SANFL standard, if that.
By a layman’s eye. You have a good one but you and eye don’t have the club kpi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back