Preview Changes: R7 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Maybe we'll try Fogarty in the back pocket for a few weeks. Then on a wing for a couple? Bring him in for 2 games at FF?
It's funny... people said that they moved Mackay around because they wanted to keep him in the side despite him failing in every position they tried previously, and eventually they turned on him and just wanted him out of the side. Fogarty is headed down exactly the same path, trying and failing in multiple positions, yet he still has supporters demanding his reinstatement.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
It's funny... people said that they moved Mackay around because they wanted to keep him in the side despite him failing in every position they tried previously, and eventually they turned on him and just wanted him out of the side. Fogarty is headed down exactly the same path, trying and failing in multiple positions, yet he still has supporters demanding his reinstatement.
Difference being Mackay will stay after his 220 odd games as development and we might chuck out a big lug.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Are depth charts another concept you don't understand?
If we want to talk depth, then we need to be noting that Brown, Hamill, Milera & Hinge are all MIA due to injury. With 4 small defenders out, Mackay is coming in as the "break glass" solution. With 3 positions available, Mackay has consistently been the 7th small defender selected this year. That's talking depth charts.

If you want to talk about replacing defenders with a defender, and a midfielder with a midfielder, then that's a positional argument - not depth charts.

Which leaves me wondering if you have any clue about depth charts yourself?

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Look there's no similarities there. What you have to understand is that it's Fogarty's fault that he isn't performing. He should be good enough to play everywhere on the ground immediately
Far from being expected to play everywhere, the problem is that he isn't good enough to play anywhere.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
He struggles to get separation from the defender. That is some combination of footy smarts/acceleration/fitness (repeat effort).
I actually think you're right about him needing to drop a little weight. He may not get much faster, but some will help. Sounds like fitness is in a good place now.
His fitness has definitely improved, though I think it still has a way to go. It's lack of mobility/agility/speed which is his main problem, all of which is related to his size & weight.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
We literally sacked all of the coaching and football staff involved, but they totally were dead right on this one.
... and yet he still demonstrates exactly the same problematic behaviours under the new coaching panel. What's the common denominator here? You do the maths.

If we want to talk depth, then we need to be noting that Brown, Hamill, Milera & Hinge are all MIA due to injury. With 4 small defenders out, Mackay is coming in as the "break glass" solution. With 3 positions available, Mackay has consistently been the 7th small defender selected this year. That's talking depth charts.

If you want to talk about replacing defenders with a defender, and a midfielder with a midfielder, then that's a positional argument - not depth charts.

Which leaves me wondering if you have any clue about depth charts yourself?

If you don't know what a depth chart is, just say that.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
What, is he the Rock? He might tip 100 but I doubt it. Probably be about 95. You want him to be less than Carey in his day? It’s not about weight. It’s about who he’s shoving out.
I don't know what he weighs - but looking at him he'd be closer to 110kg than 100kg. Needs to be under 90kg.

The reason it matters is because it's seriously hampering his speed, agility & mobility, without which he's simply not AFL standard.

If it matters "who he's shoving out", then he's failing at his current weight - he's almost useless in contested marking situations. He is entirely reliant on taking uncontested marks on the lead, which is the antithesis of "who he's shoving out".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't know what he weighs - but looking at him he'd be closer to 110kg than 100kg. Needs to be under 90kg.

The reason it matters is because it's seriously hampering his speed, agility & mobility, without which he's simply not AFL standard.

If it matters "who he's shoving out", then he's failing at his current weight - he's almost useless in contested marking situations. He is entirely reliant on taking uncontested marks on the lead, which is the antithesis of "who he's shoving out".
There is no way he is over 100

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Difference being Mackay will stay after his 220 odd games as development and we might chuck out a big lug.
People argue we should have chucked Mackay out long ago. Failing to chuck out the big lug would be an equally bad mistake. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
If you don't know what a depth chart is, just say that.
I do... it's becoming increasingly obvious that you don't.

You do realise there's a difference between a depth chart, and a positional chart?

I'll give you a clue - this is a positional chart:
Website-Lineup-952x952-.png

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Have you ever stopped to think & ask why they tried him as a defender? What were they trying to achieve by doing that?

Have you ever stopped to think that we might have a few people at the club who have absolutely no ******* clue how to develop some players properly?

Ben hart was at the club during that period ffs

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
He was a superstar in the underage comps, largely because he was a manchild. He flopped in the Nationals, and recruiters started to ponder what position (if any) he would actually be able to play at AFL level. As a result, he fell to #12 in the draft, where Adelaide grabbed him - partly because of the potential he'd shown in the junior age groups, but mostly because he was from SA.

Without the SA factor, they probably join the previous 11 clubs and decide to pass on the manchild with no obvious AFL position. Probably... but it's hypothetical, as we can never really know.

I'd happily stake some money right now that Fogarty makes it as an AFL player, where it's at our club or another.

I do... it's becoming increasingly obvious that you don't.

You do realise there's a difference between a depth chart, and a positional chart?

You must know you're embarrassing yourself. Why do you persist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back