Preview Geelong V Sydney - Rd 7 - Sat May 1st 725 pm @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone on FB pointed out Hickey was listed as being out for 5-7 weeks on the injury list on the AFL website. Either that was a massive typo or he's made the biggest comeback since Lazarus.
Surely a typo. He copped a pcl injury list as 6-8 weeks out and has missed 1 week with it so far which is where the 5-7 came from.

Someone on FB pointed out Hickey was listed as being out for 5-7 weeks on the injury list on the AFL website. Either that was a massive typo or he's made the biggest comeback since Lazarus.

You mean this from Tuesday

1619782399094.png

You're not very loyal... are you already off the Port Bandwagon?
Read the other thread. Just said they were the most likely team to beat Tiges in the GF this year. Demons next best. Doggies flicking ball game by hand has been shown up tonight, and last year too.

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
Read the other thread. Just said they were the most likely team to beat Tiges in the GF this year. Demons next best. Doggies flicking ball game by hand has been shown up tonight, and last year too.
Dogs problem is the way they go inside 50. How people can write Richmond off so quickly confuses me. They are like Geelong post 2011 and will not be easy to beat for years.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
We should smash them. Sydney have been a surprise packet but surely, based on Geelong's form last week, this should be an easy victory.
Swans are so inexperienced and almost half their squad has played less than 50 games.

We should smash them. Sydney have been a surprise packet but surely, based on Geelong's form last week, this should be an easy victory.
Swans are so inexperienced and almost half their squad has played less than 50 games.
We never smash teams interstate when you think we should. Adelaide...

We are again weakened without 2 strong bodies in Kolo and MOC, and we are unsettled.
Every week changes, as are most teams.
I hope for a win, but they pushed us last year with a "weak"team. Hickey in is big.
Can Stanley inspire himself to try hard again ?
JC second week in...
Last week's form is already irrelevant. It was beautiful, but so far removed from what we will see on Saturday in Sydney.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Seems like the obvious choices from those available. Should get a good look at where both Narkle and Clark sit. But looking at their respective roles it is hard to see either displacing any of their established competitors when all of Danger, O'Connor, Higgins and Kolo return. Nonetheless, it should be good to see them state their cases.

Sydney's backline looks like it could leak or burst, there is a good chance our forwards will get off the chain if we can force stoppages in the middle of the ground and get a boot to ball from clearance wins. We are ranked number one for stoppage clearances winning 28 per game on average, Sydney 12th with 22.5 so that is in our favour. Sydney win the centre clearances 13.5 to our 11.7 per game, a smaller advantage.

Their forward line only has one player over 190, McClean - so Sydney are going to want to use their centre clearance dominance and send it in quickly while our defenders are isolated, and if it ends up on the ground they will be happy. I can't see them being able to consistently clear our defenders though, and whilst they will kick a few cheapies that way it won't be enough.

30 point win for the Cats I reckon.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
We never smash teams interstate when you think we should it. Adelaide...

We are again weakened without 2 strong bodies in Kolo and MOC, and we are unsettled.
Every week changes, as are most teams.
I hope for a win, but they pushed us last year with a "weak"team. Hickey in is big.
Can Stanley inspire himself to try hard again ?
JC second week in...
Last week's form is already irrelevant. It was beautiful, but so far removed from what we will see on Saturday in Sydney.

Yep, exactly how I would see it but you can't ignore that performance last week.
Cameron was a massive inclusion and illustrated exactly what we have been missing for a number of years. Imagine Richmond without Tom Lynch and they had to rely on guys like Chol and Caddy to help out Riewoldt.
I'm not saying we are in Richmond's class but now having that 2nd key forward, and a legitimate A grader to boot, it really changes the dynamics of our forward line.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope the kid succeeds because if he doesn't he joins the Lang's, Thurlow's, Smedts', Fogarty's of the world as recent Wells Round 1-2 fluffs. We've had too many and need a hit. But I will not shy away from the view that at present - April 2021 - he is the single most overrated player on the list by people on this board. Closely followed by Constable and Kreuger.

No idea why all 3 are screamed for as inclusions most weeks, and yes, with Higgins looming as an in next week and Kolodjashnij possibly fit by next Friday there are 1-2 spots available for the GF rematch, assuming no further injuries/suspensions. Last in, First out usually fits in football clubs.

So just help me out here on Clark. So Jordan Clark had a really good first year playing 18 games for a powerhouse side that were minor premiers. By any objective measure that's an outstanding season for an 18 year old first year player. Then in his second year he plays 3 games in the most difficult season on record, where players much more senior than him, from sides all around the comp have said they just didn't handle it.

Then this year he has been average in some games he has played and also played a number of games as sub (impossible to judge performance in those). How the hell based on that body of evidence is he anything other than an exciting 20 year old who at this stage seems to have a really bright future.

There is just no where near enough evidence outside of an outstanding first season to suggest he is failing or going to fail. I'm happy to be corrected if I have missed something that shows none of this is a fair assessment. Please explain your position so I can better understand how I may be missing what you are seeing.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
So just help me out here on Clark. So Jordan Clark had a really good first year playing 18 games for a powerhouse side that were minor premiers. By any objective measure that's an outstanding season for an 18 year old first year player. Then in his second year he plays 3 games in the most difficult season on record, where players much more senior than him, from sides all around the comp have said they just didn't handle it.

Then this year he has been average in some games he has played and also played a number of games as sub (impossible to judge performance in those). How the hell based on that body of evidence is he anything other than an exciting 20 year old who at this stage seems to have a really bright future.

There is just no where near enough evidence outside of an outstanding first season to suggest he is failing or going to fail. I'm happy to be corrected if I have missed something that shows none of this is a fair assessment. Please explain your position so I can better understand how I may be missing what you are seeing.

That's a pretty fair assessment I reckon.
Also factor in the fact that he's probably copped the first big injuries of his career by doing both his shoulder and his elbow, and as such was likely unable to do much upper body conditioning throughout that time.
Not yet 21 years old, hasn't even played 30 games.
I hope he gets plenty of opportunities this season, his match-winning goal against Hawthorn in combination with Henry demonstrated his capabilities.
For the record I am very much Clark on a Wing.

I never said failing, or would fail. I said I hope he succeeds or that means he joins the list of high pick failures recently.
I said overrated by the masses on here.

And yes, at present I don't get the hype and desire for him to play every week. A bit more VFL footy would do him no harm.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
I never said failing, or would fail. I said I hope he succeeds or that means he joins the list of high pick failures recently.
I said overrated by the masses on here.

And yes, at present I don't get the hype and desire for him to play every week. A bit more VFL footy would do him no harm.

Wing or HBF his best position in your opinion?

Wing or HBF his best position in your opinion?
Wing. Don’t think he’s defensively disciplined enough for a role in defence.

What I can’t work out is did we recruit him knowing this because we liked other attributes, or is it something they’re slowly figuring out as they go?

One shows deep scouting analysis, the other points to a scouting error.

In any case I think Menegola and Duncan have been great contributors on the outside for a while now. Tuohy seems revitalised on a wing/hff and of our 3 recruits Isaac Smith has been the best so far in a similar role. So my opposition to the selection move we have made isn’t so much about him as a player but more about the need for another with that role. I envisage he may be a rotation guy tomorrow and fill a hole when guys go off and have slightly lower ToG. Guess they figure he’ll offer as much as the more like-for-like Guthrie.

I do hope he plays well, I just don’t agree with the weekly hype, at present it isn’t being met with performances to match.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Wing. Don’t think he’s defensively disciplined enough for a role in defence.

What I can’t work out is did we recruit him knowing this because we liked other attributes, or is it something they’re slowly figuring out as they go?

One shows deep scouting analysis, the other points to a scouting error.

In any case I think Menegola and Duncan have been great contributors on the outside for a while now. Tuohy seems revitalised on a wing/hff and of our 3 recruits Isaac Smith has been the best so far in a similar role. So my opposition to the selection move we have made isn’t so much about him as a player but more about the need for another with that role. I envisage he may be a rotation guy tomorrow and fill a hole when guys go off and have slightly lower ToG. Guess they figure he’ll offer as much as the more like-for-like Guthrie.

I do hope he plays well, I just don’t agree with the weekly hype, at present it isn’t being met with performances to match.

I hope we get some games into him, and I probably have a lower bar for weekly performance from Clark than you, but I accept he has not established himself as best 22 by any means at this stage.

I prefer him on a wing too; I just don't reckon he has the frame to really bodyline the ball when required, which is 1A for a Geelong defender; don't let it get past you.

Agree with your point that we suddenly have a bit of depth in that position with Tuohy and Smith complementing Duncan - Menegola though; he's just a funny player imo - not quite a genuine outside player, he's like a short Nick Riewoldt.

I am happy to see Narkle get his chance. I just hope he is given the chance to work in the midfield and run, run, run.....this is a big opportunity for him.

I am surprised people are so vehement about the inclusion of Holmes....yes, clearly talented and a star in the making...but no rush...

He is physically under developed, and I suspect being nurtured by the club very carefully. I suspect perhaps another couple of games this year at most...another pre-season and develop him to be ready to contribute more regularly in 2022....and win his rising star.nomination.....back him to do it.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I am happy to see Narkle get his chance. I just hope he is given the chance to work in the midfield and run, run, run.....this is a big opportunity for him.

I am surprised people are so vehement about the inclusion of Holmes....yes, clearly talented and a star in the making...but no rush...

He is physically under developed, and I suspect being nurtured by the club very carefully. I suspect perhaps another couple of games this year at most...another pre-season and develop him to be ready to contribute more regularly in 2022....and win his rising star.nomination.....back him to do it.

Especially coming off last year, I am sure Holmes will hit the wall at some stage. Very promising that he is pushing for games so much at this stage, other have been on the list for years and have not been selected.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The side is versatile enough to accommodate Charlie if required early on,give him a shot.

Yeah that's right, and he always gets his share of the footy then some, young fella on the verge of greater things imo.
I think the club needs to recognize his immediate and future value to the team and present opportunities to him.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Re Clark - my brutally honest opinion - at present for one reason or another ( maybe because of the nasty injury he copped against W/Coast a season or 2 back ) is playing timid football

Atkins who has got very limited natural ability - he attacks the ball hard - why doesnt Clark do that

100% Clark has been soft as butter this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back