Preview Changes: R7 vs GWS

Apr 11, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mackay is a "break glass solution" - and with Milera, Hinge, Brown & Hamill all small defenders who are MIA due to injury, the glass is broken. If any one of those is available, then Mackay replaces Lynch as sub.

No it’s not. Murphy should be playing small defender, can’t understand why he’s not in the conversation. Even Jones. Don’t want to see Mackay anywhere but the emergency sub.

Apr 11, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's funny... people said that they moved Mackay around because they wanted to keep him in the side despite him failing in every position they tried previously, and eventually they turned on him and just wanted him out of the side. Fogarty is headed down exactly the same path, trying and failing in multiple positions, yet he still has supporters demanding his reinstatement.

He’s never had a good run as our main lead up forward. Can’t believe we’re writing him off before that. Simple equation, he can’t fully develop with Walker there.

Apr 11, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
The best part about this discussion is hearing that Fogarty cannot play anywhere on the ground.

I agree. It’s just hilarious. He’s a lead up forward (could play deep or high). Bearing in mind it takes a long time for key position players to develop, he’s never had a chance to play there for an extended period without Tex. It’s mind blowing we are writing him off without giving him this opportunity.

Apr 11, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty much anyone who's watched him without rose coloured blinkers. That would include the majority of non-Adelaide supporters.

Just simply not true. You hear retired forwards like Tredrea and Carey talking him up whenever he is raised.

It’s like saying, let’s play Murray on the ball this weekend and if he doesn’t perform well then he won’t make it. Clearly Fog is a lead up forward, Tex is in his position. We can write Fog off after he’s had a season in that position without Tex. It’s foolish to do so before then, he has too much talent.

Apr 11, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jason Dunstall and the co commentators who were watching the game the other day vs the Roos where he kicked 3 all basically said 'this kid can play'.

Personally I think they would have at least some idea.

You have to be a total nut job to look at Fogarty and not think the kid has bags of ability ffs. And I'm worried some of the people running the club are either blind or just don't understand football.

Spot on

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
I agree. It’s just hilarious. He’s a lead up forward (could play deep or high). Bearing in mind it takes a long time for key position players to develop, he’s never had a chance to play there for an extended period without Tex. It’s mind blowing we are writing him off without giving him this opportunity.

Mind blowing and incrdibly infuriating. Literally just stick Tex at CHF and then Fog at FF ffs or rotate them.

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I usually go with the flow on team selections and believe after long time we seemed to have good bunch of coaches .
But firstly getting over that Mackay picked again in a period of rebuilding as in my eyes that isn't the worse part of this team selected.
Firstly look in defence where last game the Hawks bigs destroyed us , and on top of that 2 of our defenders injured and we still can't bring in a player in form that is a major part of our future in Worrell .
When Mr Nicks is this kid going to get a game ,as this was the ideal game for him to go in especially as GWS play pretty big up forward ,and can't get in this game how going to get in when injured players are back .
Are we going to put Mackay on Greene as tactics to run off of or some over masterstroke.
Then the decision where we have forwards like McAdam , Rowe who didn't go near the ball or provide any defensive pressure let alone look dangerous around the goals ,and the Fwd- Mids in Murphy and McHenry who provide no forward movement ability with lack of size and ability and no goal scoring danger presence.
And even their defensive pressure ability is totally over rated as opposition smalls in last 2 games have run out of our forward area like unregistered dogs and both not big or strong enough to tackle the moving player.
So instead of 1 of those players we drop Fogarty who can actually provide a contest and who actually knows how to kick a goal and who actually got more of the ball than those other 4 ,and who we gave a new type role to and although there was improvement last week we drop after a couple of games .
Then we have Vader etc with this too many bigs crap ,well I would rather have bigger players than the short people that provide no ability to contest and can't get a kick and don't really know how to crumb a ball anyway .
What are we going to do if Thillthorpe doesnt get 5 goals in next 2 games drop him for Jones .

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
You show me one example of a post where I've suggested keeping McAdam...

Ideally, both would be playing in the SANFL, with Newchurch being given an opportunity instead of McAdam. Actually, I'd probably go with Newchurch instead of Rowe, but it's pretty much 50/50 choice between Rowe & McAdam as to which deserves less to be in the side.
Ok

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
A dumb forward line structure with the 4th most goals in the league in a rebuilding team that is missing their two best mids and key defender for most of the season? Riiiiiighhhttt. Our lowest goal tally is 11 against Sydney on a day where we kicked 22 behinds.

This is the same argument we had in the Pyke years. The issue remains that the forward line doesn't operate in a vacuum. When we don't score from an e try there's another job to do that impacts our pressure through the arcs and in D50. You're just repeating the same rubbish structure that was a proven failure. And there's nothing to suggest it would be less potent with one less tall anyway.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would have left Fog in and dropped one of our repeatedly underperforming smalls in Rowe/Murphy/Macadam/McHenry..... All of who have done nothing for weeks (junk time goals dont count).
I most likely would have dropped 3 or 4 from last week. Went back and watched it and that 2nd half was awful. Injuries saved most of them from being dropped.

Kezza86

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jason Dunstall and the co commentators who were watching the game the other day vs the Roos where he kicked 3 all basically said 'this kid can play'.

Personally I think they would have at least some idea.

You have to be a total nut job to look at Fogarty and not think the kid has bags of ability ffs. And I'm worried some of the people running the club are either blind or just don't understand football.
Dunstall also said he needs to learn to impact the game more. Being effective with his 8-11 possessions is not enough. Needs to find the ball more. Imagine the impact he would have averaging 18-21 possessions a game.

Dunstall also said he needs to learn to impact the game more. Being effective with his 8-11 possessions is not enough. Needs to find the ball more. Imagine the impact he would have averaging 18-21 possessions a game.

If they're going to play him as a midfielder. No one is suggesting long term he can get by with that little ball as a midfielder full time- but he's played like two games there.

Having said that, his replacement has 250 odd games of getting between 8-11 ineffective touches and has never been capable of the physical presence that Fog has had over the last few. Possession counts matter, unless you're our oldest and least valuable player.

But we should totally trust the selectors who brought us the sub debacle.

Our club should be put down with a brick.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
No it’s not. Murphy should be playing small defender, can’t understand why he’s not in the conversation. Even Jones. Don’t want to see Mackay anywhere but the emergency sub.

Mackay shouldn't be on our list. By keeping him they can't resist the temptation to play the spud instead of developing a player. The idiot that kept him has a lot to answer for.

Last edited:

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
The melts are all centered around Mackay and completely ignore the rest of the team and other selections this week. There are people calling it the worst forward structure despite it being the 4th most potent attack in the league this year. Any sort of reasonable discussion on this board goes at the window when Mackay is selected.

The melts are centered around MacKay because it is a continuation of what we have done wrong for the last ten years. We don't appear to have learnt a damn thing.

Continue to play injured senior players over giving a youngster a go. Check.
Continue to play MacKay over giving that game time for a youngsters development. Check
Give press conferences/issue statements that are full of s**t and treat the supporters like idiots. Check

Hasn't the above contributed to where we find ourselves now, with such an inexperienced list.

But I like the changes we've added, unlike every other club we are using the injury sub for our injured players. We are right on the cutting edge.

You know we have heard "MacKay selected, came here for the melts, glad Im not disappointed " for the last five years. And people are still doing it this year after winning a spoon and when we are meant to be rebuilding!!

People can't seem to make the leap that maybe the club are wrong, not sure how much more evidence they need.

Thank goodness the list management committee said enoughs enough and have forced our coaches to play the youngsters (we are still selecting our oldest team available in a rebuild year)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Pretty slender set of circumstances to get Worrell into the team

Talia misses... no
Brown misses... no
Kelly misses... no
Hamill misses... no

So unless Doedee gets dropped is there any path into the team for him?

Or does he need 4+ simultaneous injuries to our preferred backline in order to get a look in?

I hope he's the patient kind.

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
The thing with Fog is they've built his body to be a KPF, not a mid. To be an effective mid he'll need to slim down, which takes time. I assume what they're trying to do is have him learn his craft as a mid in the SANFL then give him another crack later. Or at least until Tex is forced to rest that calf and he can play as a forward.

Back