Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The entire list quality needs to be improved? So that means we should be chasing some half back flankers, to complement our other 20 of them.

Look Tops, I understand you're very passionate about this but deals don't get made in isolation and taking the "oh the entire list quality needs to be improved" reasoning and picking up bit part players like Farrell, before having a potentially better player come available, is kinda like filling up on appetizers before dinner.

The point I was trying to make was, good quality List Management has you searching the elite as well as role players you need to improve the List at the same time. I am not saying for one moment Farrell is the bee all and end all, like Lipinski, but if he adds improvement while you are improving the List through targeted FA’s and Drafting at the same time, this has got to be the way forward. You don’t spend your high level collateral on them.

Professional List Managers can chew gum and walk at the same time.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The point I was trying to make was, good quality List Management has you searching the elite as well as role players you need to improve the List at the same time. I am not saying for one moment Farrell is the bee all and end all, like Lipinski, but if he adds improvement while you are improving the List through targeted FA’s and Drafting at the same time, this has got to be the way forward. You don’t spend your high level collateral on them.

This is just the bleeding obvious mate. It's not rocket science.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

What you've said is essentially what every list manager attempts to do. None of them go out of their way to deteriorate a list.

Cyzzametimbres

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t mind the way Bailey Dale goes about things. Seems like a utility that can play well anywhere. Doubt he’d want to leave though. Saw him play forward last year or the year before and went alright. Playing back this year and pushing up the ground. Neal-Bullen and Liam Baker are another few I wouldn’t be unhappy picking up cheaply. Someone that can play hff would go a long way for us. McLean and Lipinski the others I hope we look at.

Last edited:

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
We need midfielders and a ruckman we don't know how bad our forwards are as they see the ball less than any other club not named NM.

Cyzzametimbres

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We need midfielders and a ruckman we don't know how bad our forwards are as they see the ball less than any other club not named NM.
We need players all over forward of the defence. We aren’t picking up any A graders through trade, need to hit the draft with first round picks. A ruckman would be nice but they aren’t falling out of trees. Maybe look at one of Freo’s rucks or Williams from WC? Priority should be on another solid midfielder that can play on the outside, plenty of teams do alright without a decent ruck. FA are icing on the cake so need to build a solid competitive team first before looking at those.

Last edited:

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t mind the way Bailey Dale goes about things. Seems like a utility that can play well anywhere. Doubt he’d want to leave though. Saw him play forward last year or the year before and went alright. Playing back this year and pushing up the ground. Neal-Bullen and Liam Baker are another few I wouldn’t be unhappy picking up cheaply. Someone that can play hff would go a long way for us.
I understand we have some interest in Dale and Neale-Bulleen in the past

Cyzzametimbres

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I understand we have some interest in Dale and Neale-Bulleen in the past
With good reason. Players you can get for nix and contribute. Everyone wants A grade talent without giving up the picks needed. You don’t build a team of A graders, good teams lack C graders. Lewis said it well the other night, you can’t build a good team paying overs for a superstar players, there’s not enough left to spread around.

Last edited:
Would be more than happy for the club to throw a truckload of money at Bolton to at least get in the conversation.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We ain’t getting Bolton. He won’t wanna leave and we wouldn’t give him $1m he’d want to leave. Plus they’d ask for too much for a trade.
There are some on here reckon he is no good, or would struggle within an ordinary list like the HFC.
But, when you watch, you appreciate how far off elite we are, particularly List wise.

Cyzzametimbres

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are some on here reckon he is no good, or would struggle within an ordinary list like the HFC.
But, when you watch, you appreciate how far off elite we are, particularly List wise.
Yeah everyone who isn’t an bonafide A grade star is a spud. I hope we pick up Merrett as FA but I highly doubt we’d offer more than $650k a season and someone else will offer $1m.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Yeah everyone who isn’t an bonafide A grade star is a spud. I hope we pick up Merrett as FA but I highly doubt we’d offer more than $650k a season and someone else will offer $1m.

To me if that's true I'd find it mindboggling, looking at our list we should have money to burn and be able to throw huge dollars around, who cares if that upsets a playing group that's bang average.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To me if that's true I'd find it mindboggling, looking at our list we should have money to burn and be able to throw huge dollars around, who cares if that upsets a playing group that's bang average.
This is the balancing act mate - forward projections and all that - we don't want to sell the farm and then have a Lewis or Kosi or Jeka come out and rip the comp apart, but we've no money left to pay them.

Right now our forward projections on some young players is looking stronger then it was. Better to just observe at the moment, imo.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
This is the balancing act mate - forward projections and all that - we don't want to sell the farm and then have a Lewis or Kosi or Jeka come out and rip the comp apart, but we've no money left to pay them.

Right now our forward projections on some young players is looking stronger then it was. Better to just observe at the moment, imo.

That's why any potential free agent we largely front end the deal as in the next year or 2 that won't be any issue.

Bolton is a pipe dream. Not going to happen, as they’d want the world in picks, even if he wanted to come across.

save the bandwidth on even discussing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back