Autopsy Dogs lose to Tigers - Rd 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow writing is off already? In our premiership year we were 7-0. I know we are all blowing off steam but jeez.

Naughton back would be crazy. As Bevo said out defensive stats for scores from inside 50 were very good and so on the numbers the stats show defence was not our problem. Yes Cordy got beaten 1:1 against Lynch but the entries in had little pressure. You wouldn’t drop Balta and Naughty kicked the same and should have got at least two more. We have to win the mid and then execute goals from that - take him out we lose.

Our genuine options on defence are either injured or aren’t in form. I have said in the past that Bruce back would give us a big body to crash backs and prevent marks. Still think this is an option but he did kick 10 and with English out would only really work if Schache played better - so now not so sure.

JUH is tempting but let’s not panic - we haven’t lost three on the trot and he needs to come in ready and we will get the best out him for the rest of the season.

Maybe he is just one of those people that can’t put on weight doesn’t matter how hard he try’s
It's not as simple as just weight. It's mostly about separation and athleticism. Schache has a higher height to weight ratio than Eric Hipwood but the latter doesn't have any problem marking all over the field and against stronger opponents. Basically, he's not quick enough to take more marks on the lead which would improve his output.

If I were you I‘d be worried we played so s*** and yet you still only won by three goals.

No Martin, Vlaustin, Prestia or Lambert.

At 6-1 who really cares the dogs lost. The big difference for me was just your two key talls were uncompetitive in the air and didn’t bring the ball to ground and you got belted in the ruck. English will solve a bit of that and we struggle with the really tall forwards.

Reckon we will be seeing each other in finals.

My read of the competition so far is that the top teams are as follows:

Melbourne
Port
Richmond
Geelong
Us

I think it'll be close between us and Geelong for fourth but their home ground will get them a few extra wins.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think we're top four material this year.

I don’t agree, Melbourne‘s win last week was impressive, but Dusty and a few others were out injured during the game so their rotations were down and Richmond ran out of gas at the end, whereas they had no injuries this week and got stronger in the second half.

GWS were the same when they played Melbourne, injuries to GWS players.

Geelong are cooked, West Coast have been putrid for weeks, and the small oddly shaped Geelong ground is their kryptonite.

Port are looking Very good and also Melbourne but not unbeatable.

No Martin, Vlaustin, Prestia or Lambert.

At 6-1 who really cares the dogs lost. The big difference for me was just your two key talls were uncompetitive in the air and didn’t bring the ball to ground and you got belted in the ruck. English will solve a bit of that and we struggle with the really tall forwards.

Reckon we will be seeing each other in finals.

No Dunks, Williams, and English, important for our spine.

What is your opinion on the subject?
I think I originated the beginning of the far-left radical (Naughton forward) caucus with the thread below:

Other inferior posters have attempted to claim the debate in other threads.

Fronk has been appointed for right wing conservatives (tea-party) - Naughton to play back.

My argument is simple - Naughton is a once in a generation CHF/FF of which we have only had 2 at our club in my life time - Beasley & Grant (apologies to Minton-Connell, mate you had to take them in front of your face not on your bloody chest all the time).

Yes he would be a quality defender, but they are a dime-a-dozen (look at Gardner!) and Naughty would become unhappy, and leave to Hawthorn with Bailey Smith as a package deal.

and Naughty would become unhappy

spoken to him? Strange comment to make when he played most of his junior and development footy on the backline. Gardner would be the more likely long term solution but needs more development

Feral the operative word. I haven't felt that vibe walking around the ground during the breaks since the old days of Vic Park and Farty Hill.

Screaming from the end of the long long line to get more grog at the bar staff "what's going the f on? The game's f ing started! F ing f ing".

The bay full of em next to ours a woman kept turning her head 180 to look at us once tiges started to get the upper hand. Just watch the game love, it's in front of you not behind. No need to gloat.

I've never wanted to smack anyone except drug taker supporters, but by God this lot went close.

PS. In no way does this post condone violence or have I ever been involved in any - is the reason I'm exhausted today because it took all my strength to ignore these bandwagon jumping narcissists or because a 7.50 start for an afl game you have to take public transport to and get home at midnight a ridiculous time for young and old alike?

Aaah. That feels better.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Yeah we took public transport, and got to Spencer street to be told it was road coach’s to Geelong, then a hold up on the Geelong road from accidents and road works..trapped in the bus with Tiger supporters, the bus driver was a pisser though, kept giving it to them, I suspect he was a doggy;)

spoken to him? Strange comment to make when he played most of his junior and development footy on the backline. Gardner would be the more likely long term solution but needs more development
I am taking the piss _Mike_

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flew down from the GC for the game (I live there & get down 5 or so times per year).

2nd Dogs v Richmond game I've been to in my time. First one was the Astronaught's break out game.

Have to say the Richmond fans were some of the most obnoxious campaigners I've ever had the displeasure of sitting near.

Moaning all night about nothing decisions, thinking they're commentators & coaches for both teams when clearly they have no ******* idea.

If I didn't bite my tongue could have got into at least 2 or 3 fights from truly horrendous fans being overtly aggressive over stupid sh*t.

Is this normal Regulars?
Saw quite a few of them on tv - overdosed on ugly pills obviously

I come in peace

Just wanted to shout out how good Libba is as a smaller mid his ability to win the ball and make good decisions always impresses me

One of the most consistently underrated players in the comp

Just an old school hard inside mid

We lost this ourselves by not showing up for the third quarter, but I have got to bring attention to these two calls, the second against West led directly to Lynch’s 3rd goal. This is not a whinge about the umpiring costing us as I hate supporters who base the result on what is called or not, but it was certainly a factor when they got a roll on. If that happens you need to adapt and make changes to halt it, we didn’t.

This was called by a sub standard AFL umpire from 40m away for holding by Macrae. This happens at literally every bounce/ball up. The controlling umpire is right there:

This is just disgusting. Bont executes a perfect tackle on Cotchin who disposes of the ball illegally. Houli goes to ground to try and gain possession but the ball bounces away, West comes in and takes possession whilst feeding the ball forward. Any contact is purely accidental and if anything should be below the knees contact. I wouldn’t have called that either though, it’s merely a coming together and play on. Not call a free that lead directly to a goal and piled more pressure on:

Awful, awful performance tonight.

Just to start off I've seen a few comments regarding Glouftsis' umpiring in the match and I just want to set the record straight. She was the emergency umpire and came on in the first five minutes after umpire David Harris wet down with an injury.

Glouftsis umpired a full VFL match last night and had to back it up with almost a full match tonight. I have nothing against Glouftsis but there is clearly a reason why she has been umpiring the VFL in the last few weeks. Her tally in the end was 4 free kicks to us and 8 free kicks to Richmond

Umpiring was not the reason we lost tonight, there were dozens of other elements I could list but have narrowed it down to the ones that bothered me the most.

1. Schache... I have no idea what anyone sees in him, so what if he kicked 5 goals against Gold Coast in the VFL anyone who bothered to watch the VFL last week against the Giants would've seen exactly what happened tonight, weak at the contest and fumbles constantly. I get that JUH isn't 100% match fit but he would've put up a better effort tonight.

2. Truly one of the worst performances by our captain tonight. Missed one of the easiest set shots to put us up by 25 at HT. 7 of his kicks were direct turnovers and from his 9 inside 50 kicks we scored 1.1 (7). Just 7 contested possessions too, 7 of our players had more.

3. How about looking when kicking inside 50? We've gone back to our 2018, early 2019 way of thinking with just pathetic kicks inside 50. 3 times we targeted Schache the same number as JJ, which says something.

4. Richmond's pressure was outstanding and we couldn't match it, we lost every quarter pressure wise and finished with a rating of 169, our lowest in a long long time. You cannot let a team have 15 inside 50s in a row no matter what.

5. It's all very well for the club to post videos of our players doing trick shots at goal at training, but maybe actually practise set shots. 37% in front of goal we were tonight, for a potential top 8 team that is pathetic.

6. All 4 ins had next to no impact. West got unlucky with some free kicks but he has to do more than 5 kicks, he finished the game with 1 solitary ranking point. Hannan didn't really get a chance so gets a pass, Schache was mentioned above and Lipinski was serviceable but needed to impact more. He should've attended more centre bounces.

7. It shows how poor we were when their debutant Collier-Dawkins got more ranking points than...

Wood
Naughton
Crozier
Scott
Martin
Cordy
Schache
Hannan
Bruce
Duryea
Johannisen
West

Positives...

We were in it until the last 5 minutes.

Dale is clearly the most improved player in the competition.

Keath was outstanding and doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Scott had a terrific first half and is worth persisting with.

Now as always here are some of the rarer stats…

Expected Score
WB: 64
RIC: 82

Centre Bounce Attendance
19 - Martin
18 - Macrae
17 - Liberatore
15 - Bontempelli
11 - Treloar
3 - Smith
2 - Lipinski
2 - Schache
1 - Bruce

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
57 - Martin (21/7)
6 - Bontempelli (3/0)
6 - Keath (3/2)
5 - Schache (1/0)
3 - Bruce (1/0)
2 - Cordy (1/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 9
RIC: 4

First Possessions
WB: 38
RIC: 38

Clearances/Effective Clearances
WB: 36/25
RIC: 31/23

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 66%
RIC: 66%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 5
RIC: 8

Score Launches
4 - Liberatore
2 - Wood, Daniel, Dale
1 - Martin, Smith, Scott, Bruce, Hannan, Keath, Treloar, Lipinski, Bontempelli

Shots At Goal
WB: 19 (37%

RIC: 25 (44%)

Targets Inside 50
9 - Naughton
5 - Bruce
4 - West
3 - Johannisen, Schache
2 - Hannan, Treloar
1 - Treloar, Hunter, Bontempelli

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 4
RIC: 7

Marks Dropped
WB: 3
RIC: 1

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 12
RIC: 10

No Pressure Errors
WB: 5
RIC: 1

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
2 - Bruce
1 - Naughton, Treloar, Hunter, Bontempelli, Dale, Crozier

Pressure Gauge
WB: 169 (Poor)
RIC: 182 (Average)

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1115625

Score Sources
View attachment 1115626
Good post.
You make some really excellent points and I always appreciate the raw stats but ...

... you lost me at ranking points. I used to like them but I'm now convinced they are a crock. IMO they represent reality with an accuracy of plus or minus 50%.

Love the raw stats though. Much appreciated.

Last night reminds me of our Hawks game early in ‘16 where Bob did his knee. We were on a roll, considered contenders, coming against the reigning 3-peat champs. We lost that game too but we learned from it & got the job done come finals time. I haven’t written us off.

There was also plenty of “youre pretenders dogs” when the game was over.
Is it just me or are fans almost warlike in their intensity these days? As if their whole sense of themselves rides on feeling superior to the other team and its supporters and they are willing to go to extreme lengths to express it, including using verbal and sometimes physical violence. Am I exaggerating?

A few observations, mostly obvious:
Martin is definitely a one year proposition, we need to give Sweet more games or find another ruckman for next season.
JJ needs a new start at another club; has no role in this team.
Wallis would have been better either at centre bounces or as deep forward than what the incumbents were putting out last night.
Cordy was thrown to the wolves playing on Lynch but his time is up as a key back in the team. Unfortunately, the alternatives are not much better or no better and this has to be the highest priority in the off season.
It's hard to get a kick against the Tigers backline, they team up so well that only the best forwards make an impact. Last night we had one forward that ever looked likely, Naughton, the rest were made to look inept the further the game progressed. We got the 2020 version of Bruce, Schache was out-muscled and the smaller players couldn't gather crumbs around the contest. Obviously, Bev needs to make a couple of changes here but keep in mind this was against the best team defence in the comp by a long way.
Bont looked flat for much of the game and his body language was noticeably bad. I think he is getting down on himself too much for not kicking easy goals and not being able to drag the team out of difficult periods as captain. He will work through it.
Smith is having an almost season, I'm not sure what the stats say but to the naked eye his pressure acts seem down. Seems to be choosing when to go hard for the ball. At least he kept running all night to provide an option.
Keath is now the most important player in our team. If he ever gets injured we will be easy meat for opposition key forwards.
I'm not convinced that Hannan is an answer to our mid forward issue. It's early days for him but Melbourne obviously didn't consider him part of their future even after a poor 2020.
West had a game he will want to forget in a hurry. To be honest, I'm worried that he might not become the player we expect him to be: he's small, not quick and lacks depth in his kicking. Last night was a harsh examination for him and he failed his first attempt. He needs to revise, clear his head and be much better prepared when he resits for examination.
Libba, Macrae, Daniel, Treloar tried to keep the engine running and Dale continued to show his skill in his new role, particularly his impeccable kicking.

Assuming Naughton, Bruce and Martin did not suffer injuries ( which they didn’t ) last night and English will come back in what did Schache have to do to get a game next week?

Could he do that the way our foot skills were going inside 50?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back