VFL 2021 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted Poulter before the draft. I suggested a pile of players at our pick. I doubt anyone even new who Allison was before the draft. I certainly hadn't even noticed his name pop up in discussions. It looks like we took a wildly speculative grab at someone who didn't really have a defined role but if there was one it was as a third tall type. Wilkie, Highmore, Coffield, Battle etc are all similar not quite tall enough for KP types suited to third tall roles. They are our new half back flankers which we now disposed of and still don't have a great one.

Not chasing midfielders predominantly is crazy. Most sides have a pool to pick from. Allison might come on but the fact he grew 20 cm last year just makes him even more unpredictable about where he plays.

I just want them to stop trying to be too clever. get best available and don't overreach. We seem to think we are outsmarting everyone else with no evidence of any ability to uncover hidden talent.

We still need a KPF but finding one from another club to spread defences would have made more sense and finding a proper one to develop as well is logical. Could have kept Bruce to do that and grabbed a kid to develop under him.

I read it more that they were surprised he was still available, and went for it.

Nightmare felt he went early though.

Players drafted: Matt Allison, Tom Highmore

Grade: C

Rationale: Rated around where he was picked by a number of clubs, Allison while versatile and able to play across a flank or a wing is one of the many athletic Victorian key forwards who clubs have taken a chance on. Allison is unproven as a goalkicker, kicking just two goals in 2019, and averaging eight disposals and less than two marks per game, which shouldn't be enough for someone picked inside the top-30. Tom Highmore as a mature age defender is a solid get for the Saint as an excellent intercept mark who can generate drive out of defence by foot and with his run.

Also this:
View attachment 1114061
The point being that past pick 50 it takes 3.7 picks just to end up with a 50 game player, and 5.5 picks to get a 100 gamer. They're pretty speculative out there.
Brilliant bit of research ....illuminating.......it would be interesting to have a spread, of who over the last twenty years, has been least and most successful in each pick range.

That's so Saints, lets take a guy who looks like a third tall and turn him in to a sh*t wingman before delisting him when he can't play where he wasn't suited.
That has certainly been the case. Hopefully one of them comes off! Allison didn't play great last weekend by the sound of things, but reports had been quite good before that. He's still very undeveloped physically. I am ever hopeful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sake as the AFL I guess, not naming sides until the day prior.

Gives me the shits
Good chance that changes soon. Andy Maher has been banging on about it all season, now Whateley and Robbo have started and I think even Gil conceded during the week they’re looking at it thank god.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back