Swans Reserves (ECFL comp) 2021 (VFL we fart in your general direction)

Remove this Banner Ad

Blakey wasn’t horrible but like at senior level, he makes some basic mistakes. It’s great that he takes the game on and breaks the lines, but lets himself down with an over the head, no look handpass that just puts his teammate under pressure.

He’s played enough footy now and really should be composing himself a lot more.

Didnt hate his game, could have been better, could have been worse

Two obvious standouts for me, Fox & Taylor.

Terrific comeback game from Fox. Perfectly suited to the game style we were playing early this season. Still baffling how he was ever delisted (even if we always intended to rookie him).

I know Taylor can be divisive, but IMO he was very good today. Got plenty of the ball, but importantly showed real awareness & composure and created space in traffic. Also looks to play on instinctively, which again suits that early season game style.

Speaking of instinct/awareness one guy who lacks that is Blakey. Fine athletic/football abilities, but gee lacks footy smarts far too often.

Liked Carruthers game. Decent ball user and handy one on one, has definite promise. Only knock on him today was when the ball was in dispute he ball watched a couple of times and his opponent (albeit not used) got out the back.

Campbell a curious game. Got plenty of the ball, which has been a knock on him, but for a guy renowned for his left boot I thought his disposal was disappointing on occasion.

Gould had an absolute shocker of a first half, didn't even look up to reserves level. Improved 2H (particularly 3Q), but gee a long way off it.

Totally left field but I liked the commentary team. Nicola Barr on a couple of occasions told us why play evolved the way it did (eg outnumbered fwd of the ball). Wish more commentators did the same. Tell us what we can't see on the screen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Swannies

Just wondering if Paddy Mc is ok? Seen he only had the one kick so obviously an injury?
went off in first quarter - injured hand, perhaps dislocated finger.

Blakey wasn’t horrible but like at senior level, he makes some basic mistakes. It’s great that he takes the game on and breaks the lines, but lets himself down with an over the head, no look handpass that just puts his teammate under pressure.

He’s played enough footy now and really should be composing himself a lot more.

Didnt hate his game, could have been better, could have been worse
He needs to play 3 or 4 games straight in the lower level to get his rhythm again & he'll be right.

I missed this game live but snuck it in just before the senior game.

Fox a class above. Campbell was very good though I find myself constantly wondering if his kicking is overrated (I don’t mean it bad).

I thought Ling was good, a lot more attacking than recently which was good to see and a response to what Laidler has been saying in his weekly commentary.

Taylor was really productive.

Amartey had a great first half but a forgettable second half.

Blakey was very clearly hampered by the corkie. A case of playing won’t hurt him but won’t hinder him (but not fit to play in the seniors).

McDonald had a good game.

I really like Carruthers! He is a good kick but I also feel like he makes very good decisions with the ball in hand. On top of that he isn’t shy of contact. Might have a good one in him although raw.

Bell was largely anonymous.

McAndrew i hope keeps getting picked.

Amerty will be off the list at years end
Should have been off the list in 2019, as I said at the time.

We should be far more aggressive cutting those who are not going to become quality AFL players. Bell is another that is absolutely baffling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back