Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to say I'm worried about him. He looked like Jack Graham mk2 in his first year and has struggled since. Has probably been held back a bit being the sub and training off half back, but at the same time doesn't do much when he does get a full game.
Played out of position mainly on the wing. He is a centre square mid, but hard to get a gig. No way they were going to give he and RCD much time in the middle against the doggies midfield in such and important game. He has an elite handball that puts team mates into space and great vision, is never hurried. He's good enough, but its a hard gig getting a midfield birth in the good sides. Needs a run of games.

Played out of position mainly on the wing. He is a centre square mid, but hard to get a gig. No way they were going to give he and RCD much time in the middle against the doggies midfield in such and important game. He has an elite handball that puts team mates into space and great vision, is never hurried. He's good enough, but its a hard gig getting a midfield birth in the good sides. Needs a run of games.
Lambert prestia and Martin missing was the perfect chance to step up. He didn't.

If that.

Really had to make his mark last night. Barely sighted.
He was roughing it out on the bottom of packs and fighting pretty hard in the last quarter. I didn’t notice him live but thought he made a contribution when I watched the replay. I think he had two score involvements with nice passes into the 50 (1st and last could be wrong on this). Nice for a bloke that can’t kick. Give him a bit more time I reckon and find out for sure.

i definitely agree that he showed more in his first few games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly not good enough at this stage and in danger of being delisted at years end if he doesnt pull his finger out .Tbh hes only played a couple of up to standard games in his career so far .

Lambert prestia and Martin missing was the perfect chance to step up. He didn't.
Well to be fair he is being played out of position, he didn't spent much time in the midfield. Played mainly wing and I doubt fellow wingman MacIntosh would have had many more possessions. But he used the ball well when he got it.

He was roughing it out on the bottom of packs and fighting pretty hard in the last quarter. I didn’t notice him live but thought he made a contribution when I watched the replay. I think he had two score involvements with nice passes into the 50 (1st and last could be wrong on this). Nice for a bloke that can’t kick. Give him a bit more time I reckon and find out for sure.

i definitely agree that he showed more in his first few games
He played full time mid in his first season. So far this year he has played wing and half forward with a small amount of time on the ball.

With Cotchin out there is an opening in the middle, will be interesting to see if they give him a go. Can't believe people are writing him off. Lacking opportunity and continuity big time, and those in charge I'm sure would be aware of his best position, the guts.

Well to be fair he is being played out of position, he didn't spent much time in the midfield. Played mainly wing and I doubt fellow wingman MacIntosh would have had many more possessions. But he used the ball well when he got it.
He wasn't played out of position at all. He started the game in the middle as a first choice mid.

He couldn't find the ball at all so we swapped him and Pickett. Exact same thing happened against Port.

He wasn't played out of position at all. He started the game in the middle as a first choice mid.

He couldn't find the ball at all so we swapped him and Pickett. Exact same thing happened against Port.
And how long was he in there for? Young bloke playing against A grade midfields doesn't find it early then off to the wing.

He was only played out of position because he was getting smashed when playing as a centre square mid. He played the first half as that, then Dimma moved him out.

Last edited:
give the guy a break, he showed in 2019 that he can play. he is learning the craft and more importantly, is probably low in a bit of confidence.
Can you imagine trying to get a run in the Richmond midfield? any lesser midfield and he would be flowing, he just needs a few games to find his mojo.

And how long was he in there for? Young bloke playing against A grade midfields doesn't find it early then off to the wing.
The change was made at half time. Dimma alluded to it in his press conference. Said we needed more mature players in the middle, so he moved Pickett in there and Edwards played more inside too.

If you compare the output of RCD to Ross in the middle you'll see that one looked like they have the potential to be a very good inside mid, and the other struggled to have any impact on the game at all at AFL level.

At the moment it seems that Ross is a bit of a Dean Polo and played his best few games in his first few and hasn't really been able to have an impact since. Hopefully he can turn it around, but it's not the coach's fault. Dimma has trusted him twice this season to play as a starting mid and Ross has let him down.

He had 7 centre bounce attendances 4 in the first qtr most by any player on our team for that qtr

2 more in the 2nd so 6 until half time and had 4 uncontested possies by that point in the game with 1 tackle

He’s just not very good

Congratulations on the win. Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match - this is a summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids last night + centre clearances (Champion Data) thrown in.

Overall Summary - 22 Bounces

McIntosh 18 wing
Ross 17 (10w, 7i)
Collier-Dawkins 15
Edwards 14
Pickett 13 (10w, 3i)
Cotchin 12
Bolton 11
Baker 6 wing
Graham 4

Nankervis 20
Pickett 2

Centre Clearances (10-10)

RCD 3
Cotchin 2
Pickett 2
Bolton 1
Edwards 1
Ross 1

RCD ranked 2nd on the ground for centre clearances only behind Liberatore who had 6.

Pressure Acts

Baker 29 (#2 on ground)
Graham 21 (#3)
Cotchin 19 (tied for 4th)
Ross 19 (")
Aarts 18 (tied for 6th)

By Quarter - Q1

Ross 4
Pickett 4 wing
McIntosh 3 wing
Edwards 3
Cotchin 3
Bolton 3
Baker 3 wing
RCD 2

Q2

McIntosh 4 wing
Cotchin 3
Edwards 3
RCD 3
Baker 3 wing
Ross 2
Bolton 1
Pickett 1 wing

Q3

Ross 7 wing
RCD 6
McIntosh 5 wing
Edwards 5
Bolton 4
Pickett 4 (2i, 2w)
Cotchin 3
Graham 1

Q4

McIntosh 6 wing
Ross 4 (3w, 1i)
RCD 4
Pickett 4 (3w, 1i)
Edwards 3
Bolton 3
Cotchin 3
Graham 3

As a Ross fan, his form is not screaming out" play me." With RCD having a good debut, I hope he gets a few games. Bolton and Pickett have been playing well in the middle. As is JGT1. Rossy probably get squeezed out. In fact with Baker playing well up the field. It's more pressure on Ross's spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back