Review Round 7 vs Collingwood @ MCG (01.05.21 - 1:45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Always had a soft spot for you lads down the M1, after all a good Suns team is only better for Queensland footy. Thought it for a while since you picked up Ellis and Greenwood, some true battlers, as well as the commitment of Miller, Swallow, Witts and replenished youth that look like they want to be there this'd be the team that takes you to September. It may not be this year (stranger things have happened though) but you have the core of a team that can compete for the next decade. All the best sunnies, until we play you of course.

Always had a soft spot for you lads down the M1, after all a good Suns team is only better for Queensland footy. Thought it for a while since you picked up Ellis and Greenwood, some true battlers, as well as the commitment of Miller, Swallow, Witts and replenished youth that look like they want to be there this'd be the team that takes you to September. It may not be this year (stranger things have happened though) but you have the core of a team that can compete for the next decade. All the best sunnies, until we play you of course.
Looking forward round 9

Really solid win, wouldn't have had too many at the MCG I'm guessing?
Collingwood in abysmal form, but still really encouraging to see such a mature performance from Gold Coast, particular some of the low key lesser lights.

Touk is steadily approaching GAJ levels in terms of being able to just get us out of trouble in a scramble. His ability to navigate through traffic with his low centre of gravity is unreal. A couple of times players hand balled to him under pressure and he was somehow able to fire out a handball out to a free GC player. He just knew he was there. Haven't seen anyone do that in Suns colours since Gaz. Thing he has that Gary never had though was such defensive intent. He just drives with his legs so hard and motors to at least try and get a hand in.

Greenwood awesome. Noah also awesome. Swallow was there but didn't impact around the midfield.

Now that Corbett has learned to kick straight he's become a weapon. It allows King to have an off day or take the best defender. You need a genuine KPD to play on Corbett given how good his marking is, yet he routinely gets the second or even third. Today I think he had Maynard?

Oleg had a down game, but it really feels like he's still learning the game. You can see what he's trying to do. The decisions are right. Just lacks the polish to do it. That will come with more time and experience.

Lemmens did a great shut down job but struggled with ball in hand.

Thought Ainsworth was off as well and I think he knew it. Was trying to do EVERYTHING (including cutting off a leading King mark).

Rankine looked over-awed at time and really rushed. Not surprising given how little games he's played. Just needs to learn to be cool and calm.

Caleb Graham awesome today. Seemed a lot more confident with ball in hand and playing within his capabilities. Given how he and Burgess seem to be getting better and better every week in the ruck, there is no rush whatsoever to bring Zac back in. Which is good, cause Zac sucked last night in the 2s.

Great win.

Touk is steadily approaching GAJ levels in terms of being able to just get us out of trouble in a scramble. His ability to navigate through traffic with his low centre of gravity is unreal.
I always thought Touk's ceiling was B+-as much as I love him-and that was based on ball winning and never say die
But now he has acceleration away from the contest with superb ball use.
He's an A grader approaching elite this year
How good was that win?We went in with an expectation of winning-and won-how long since?
No real heroics.
Playing a team that had to win, at the G , away from home-and it was all based on personnel doing their job,being better than their opponent and godforbid after 12 years- a freakin gameplay.
When the dust settles on this year and if we go on to win a few more we might just look back on the 3rd quarter of that Bulldogs game and see it as a real turning point for the Club.It would have been so easy to just let it blow out, sneak home and let the Melbourne media crucify us-but the team stuck a flag in the ground
Yeah the Carlton game still sits in my guts like a cold servo pie at 2am after too many beers ,but today is for celebrating a really good win

Touk is steadily approaching GAJ levels in terms of being able to just get us out of trouble in a scramble. His ability to navigate through traffic with his low centre of gravity is unreal. A couple of times players hand balled to him under pressure and he was somehow able to fire out a handball out to a free GC player. He just knew he was there. Haven't seen anyone do that in Suns colours since Gaz. Thing he has that Gary never had though was such defensive intent. He just drives with his legs so hard and motors to at least try and get a hand in.

Greenwood awesome. Noah also awesome. Swallow was there but didn't impact around the midfield.

Now that Corbett has learned to kick straight he's become a weapon. It allows King to have an off day or take the best defender. You need a genuine KPD to play on Corbett given how good his marking is, yet he routinely gets the second or even third. Today I think he had Maynard?

Oleg had a down game, but it really feels like he's still learning the game. You can see what he's trying to do. The decisions are right. Just lacks the polish to do it. That will come with more time and experience.

Thought Ainsworth was off as well and I think he knew it. Was trying to do EVERYTHING (including cutting off a leading King mark).

Rankine looked over-awed at time and really rushed. Not surprising given how little games he's played. Just needs to learn to be cool and calm.

Caleb Graham awesome today. Seemed a lot more confident with ball in hand and playing within his capabilities. Given how he and Burgess seem to be getting better and better every week in the ruck, there is no rush whatsoever to bring Zac back in. Which is good, cause Zac sucked last night in the 2s.

Great win.
agree with everything you said Sunny

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow! Where do I start? What a SUNSATIONAL WIN!!! Excellent 4 quarter effort against the pies. In my opinion that is the biggest and greatest victory in our clubs history! To beat a powerhouse club Collingwood for the first time at the MCG and claim our first victory there since 2018 was just awesome!

Touk, Greenwood, Corbett, Ellis and Collins all take a bow. Really took it to another level and dug deep for the victory. To all the fans, you were all incredible today, you were all loud and proud and helped create an amazing atmosphere today. My gosh the GOOOOOLD COOOOAST chant towards the end of the game was soooooo good.

We really deserved this win as a club it makes all the times we’ve lost badly irrelevant when you witness a game like that. Onwards and upwards SUNNERS! Definitely going to enjoy a nice whiskey tonight to celebrate the best win in our clubs history. This was the stand we were wanting to see from the boys no more honourable or close losses, so happy they were able to get it done in fine style. Season defining win! Now onto the Saints for 3 in a row. LETS GO!

What a fantastic win that was! One of our best for sure. Love the desire to take the game on, even in times where most teams wouldn't. Really exciting stuff and I can't wait to see where we go from here!

Do you have to be so personal and obnoxious so consistently towards me??
It’s not how I treat you and other board members.
I’m very consistent in how I go about it is the answer because I have a goal to see the GC be one big dominant sporting city before I’m 6 foot under.
And I’m making progress with the Titans fans too. There is some good sentiment over there.

Anyway that’s me until late tonight. Any retort towards me I won’t see Until very late.
I'm going to try to keep this short because we just had a good win but I really don't agree with you suggesting some Suns fans aren't true Gold Coasters unless they support the Titans. I also find it patronising that you hide behind the 'this is best for the beautiful city' theme and play the victim when someone calls you out on your ridiculous suggestions. You can't accuse multiple supporters of a Gold Coast sporting team of not being genuine in their passion for our city because they don't share the same sporting interests as you and expect no retaliation. As someone that was born on the Gold Coast and lived here my whole life I was very offended when I read what you wrote and felt the need to express my disagreement with your statement. It's fine if you're a Titans fan but don't come in with the expectation that every other Suns fan also needs to be support the Titans if they want to be considered genuine Gold Coasters. The end.

Now let's enjoy this monumental win collectively as a Gold Coast Suns fanbase!

Was at the game. What a win. To the group behind the goals, Great noise loved it from a fair way back. Had to keep my head down where I was with a few less than happy Pies fans, as well as sitting with my Mrs haha.

Well in lads, looking forward to watching the replay later on.

We had a lot of fun best game energy wise I’ve been to.. next time come and join us behind the goals and get rowdy

Excellent 4 quarter effort against the pies.

THIIIIIIIIS!!!
There were some really good signs in this game but above all other things it was the 4 quarter effort that meant the most in my mind. We didnt start woefully and have to scramble back into it. We didnt drop off in the 3rd quarter and have to scramble desperately to have a sniff. We didnt drop off in the last and eek out a win by less than one goal. No matter what was happening in the game, we were gut running, tackling and taking the game on more than we ever have. We were slightly less aggressive with our tackles (some games this year its looked like we wanted to fill a hospital wing with the opposition) but thats not the worst thing, it wasn't needed today and those days can be expensive for our stocks as well.

Side note, Ellis was a great pickup for us, he tried his guts out today.

Great win.
Hope the success of Corbett , Burgess and Collins proves that hungry state league players are the way to go and we forget about wasting our time on overseas players , other sport and project players ( Collingwood has fallen into this trap) , these guys have solid afl resumes and don't need to be taught to play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back