Draft Watcher Bastyy's 2021 AFL Draft Watch - Phantom V2 in post #154

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Now that we're starting to get some replays I can finally work on some sort of complete top 30 without have to worry about missing players due to not catching the games live

Early days but for me Sam Banks is a definite Top 15 pick. No idea how long he's out with his injury sustained yesterday but watching him live he looked seriously good. I still think he plays his best football as a midfielder, but he definitely doesn't look out of place as a half back.
Are they going to archive the replays though?

NAB AFL Academy vs Geelong
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
Hard to take too much out of today's game considering the belting and the fact the group has been together so little, but there were a few disappointing performances today.

Josh Rachele for me is top 3, and I thought his efforts in the second half showed why. He's a competitive beast and in the third quarter he was doing a lot. Had a great smother on the wing and his launching goal was great.

Josh Gibscus and Rhett Bazzo were fine as tall defenders, neither were standouts today but I thought they both competed well. Gibscus is well and truly moving into my top 20 at the moment on the back of the past few weeks performances.

Finn Callaghan wasn't particularly active but showed glimpses. His run and carry has been a standout the past few months and he showed a few glimpses of that today. One who's stocks aren't particularly affected.

Neil Erasmus was great, he's extremely classy and even if he wasn't playing in the midfield I feel like he does great work in the forward line anyway, on track to be top 20 this year I think.

The battle for pick 1 doesn't become anymore clear. Horne was great today and just tried all day. He played like the game was worth 4 points and it was easy to tell. Daicos was great all day and used the ball perfectly. Has some of the best skills in this draft class. I'm starting to lean towards Daicos, but for now I think Horne is the number 1 pick. Will be great to see them compete against each other in the u19's carnival

Josh Fahey was potentially BOG? I had him falling out the top 10 but for me he's right back in there. Finds the ball in the back half and uses it well, reminds me a lot of Hayden Young.

Sonsie was disappointing, but I think he's too good to have form like this for a while, should take a lot out of going through vision of the game with the academy.

Conway was fine in the ruck for me, much better then Moyle and I felt like Conway was better around the ground

The rest there's not too much to say, it won't affect draft stocks too much, but it was great to be able to see the likes of Erasmus and Fahey play alongside the Victorians that have had a lot of focus this past month

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Conway was fine in the ruck for me, much better then Moyle and I felt like Conway was better around the ground
Neither are high for me, Andrew is much better with less experience and size.

I only got to watch about 15 minutes in total, but I was impressed with the defensive nous that Bazzo has held onto despite the switch forward form my limited viewing, do you think he's more of a chance as a KPD at the next level?

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Neither are high for me, Andrew is much better with less experience and size.

I only got to watch about 15 minutes in total, but I was impressed with the defensive nous that Bazzo has held onto despite the switch forward form my limited viewing, do you think he's more of a chance as a KPD at the next level?
He's clearly a natural tall defender, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't stay as a KPD at the top level, I'm not 100% sold on whether Bazzo will even go forward when champs come around let alone the next level. He's one of the best intercept marks in this years group and I think that's what recruiters will be picking him for. If anything I think the reason we're seeing Bazzo forward is just to prove to recruiters that he's versatile. His best comparison is probably DGB from last season, and while I haven't seen him have any performances near the level of DGB, I don't think Bazzo's too far off where he was last season.

I'll need to see a bit more of Bazzo in the forward line at the colts level before I write him off in that area of the ground, but yeah for now, tall defender for me

Top 30: May 2021
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
May or may not have forgotten to post this, but here's my updated top 30!

1. Jason Horne (Inside Midfielder/South Australia)
2. Nick Daicos (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro) (Collingwood F/S)
3. Josh Rachele (General Forward/Vic Country)
4. Campbell Chesser (General Defence/Vic Metro)
5. Josh Sinn (Utility/Vic Metro)
6. Tyler Sonsie (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
7. Josh Fahey (General Defence/New South Wales) (GWS Academy)
8. Jacob van Rooyen (Tall Forward/Western Australia)
9. Matthew Johnson (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)
10. Sam Banks (General Defence/Tasmania)

11. Rhett Bazzo (Tall Defender/Western Australia)
12. Matthew Roberts (Inside Midfielder/South Australia)
13. Finn Callaghan (Outside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
14. Josh Gibscus (Tall Defender/Vic Country)
15. Ned Long (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
16. Jack Williams (Tall Forward/Western Australia)
17. Neil Erasmus (General Forward/Western Australia)
18. Ben Hobbs (Inside Midfielder/Vic Country)
19. Josh Goater (General Forward/Vic Metro)
20. Joshua Browne (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)

21. Jase Burgoyne (Outside Midfielder/South Australia) (Port Adelaide F/S)
22. Arlo Draper (Utility/South Australia)
23. Blake Howes (General Forward/Vic Metro)
24. Josh Ward (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
25. Lewis Rayson (General Defence/South Australia)
26. Cooper Murley (Outside Midfielder/South Australia)
27. Charlie Molan (General Defence/Vic Country)
28. Braden Andrews (Inside Midfielder/Vic Metro)
29. Mac Andrew (Ruckman/Vic Metro) (Melbourne NGA)
30. Jesse Motlop (Small Forward/Western Australia) (Fremantle NGA)

A few players have fallen from early season performances, Molan and Hobbs in particular I saw as top 15 prospects potentially this season but neither player has really had performances to suggest they're better then the players above them

Jesse Motlop barely hangs in the top 30 despite not being overly dominant in the colts. I still think he has some of the best small forward craft out of anyone in this draft class and his ability to move into the midfield shows versatility.

The depth of this draft class is obvious, but I think all of the players in my top 30 would be potential contenders in previous years. The 1-6 crowd for me are the elite of this draft, while anyone from 7-17 are players who could be elite. It's hard to separate some players (Still go back and forth daily over who's better between Horne and Daicos) but that makes the class even more exciting

Quite a few players are on the edge of the top 30 for me including; Judson Clarke, Morgan Ferres, Corey Warner, Max Chipper, Jed Rule, Connor Macdonald, Sam Butler, Jake Soligo, Nasiah Wanganeen, Lachlan Rankin, Youseph Dib and Cooper Beecken

A few players have fallen from early season performances, Molan and Hobbs in particular I saw as top 15 prospects potentially this season but neither player has really had performances to suggest they're better then the players above them

Jesse Motlop barely hangs in the top 30 despite not being overly dominant in the colts. I still think he has some of the best small forward craft out of anyone in this draft class and his ability to move into the midfield shows versatility.

The depth of this draft class is obvious, but I think all of the players in my top 30 would be potential contenders in previous years. The 1-6 crowd for me are the elite of this draft, while anyone from 7-17 are players who could be elite. It's hard to separate some players (Still go back and forth daily over who's better between Horne and Daicos) but that makes the class even more exciting

Quite a few players are on the edge of the top 30 for me including; Judson Clarke, Morgan Ferres, Corey Warner, Max Chipper, Jed Rule, Connor Macdonald, Sam Butler, Jake Soligo, Nasiah Wanganeen, Lachlan Rankin, Youseph Dib and Cooper Beecken
I hope your assessment of Fahey is accurate, but the drafters let him slide below our first.
That would result in a great haul for us.
On the chance that the top 2 are gone for our first pick, but every one else is available.
Who would you take it f you were making our pick.

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I hope your assessment of Fahey is accurate, but the drafters let him slide below our first.
That would result in a great haul for us.
On the chance that the top 2 are gone for our first pick, but every one else is available.
Who would you take it f you were making our pick.
I'm not too educated on the list needs of GWS at the moment, but I think Josh Sinn as someone with great disposal and pace adds something unique to the GWS lineup considering he could play basically anywhere on the field and fill holds wherever the Giants need.

I'm not too educated on the list needs of GWS at the moment, but I think Josh Sinn as someone with great disposal and pace adds something unique to the GWS lineup considering he could play basically anywhere on the field and fill holds wherever the Giants need.
Hopefully the pies run last than we can call out Daicos and than take Horne 😀😀

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Been interested in your take, if GWS were to do a double, would you rate a Sandy (Chesser and Sinn) or Panthers (Draper and Roberte) as a better fit?
Sandy duo by a country mile. I rate Draper, I just have 21 other players ahead of him who I also rate as first round potential, but assuming the Giants have 2 top 10 picks I wouldn't be taking him ahead of any of the other 3. Do the Giants exactly need another ball winning magnet like Roberts? I'm not 100% sure, you'd know more then me, but I feel like Chesser and Sinn bring more to the table for the Giants then Draper and Roberts

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Sandy duo by a country mile. I rate Draper, I just have 21 other players ahead of him who I also rate as first round potential, but assuming the Giants have 2 top 10 picks I wouldn't be taking him ahead of any of the other 3. Do the Giants exactly need another ball winning magnet like Roberts? I'm not 100% sure, you'd know more then me, but I feel like Chesser and Sinn bring more to the table for the Giants then Draper and Roberts
I'd be thrilled with Chesser and Sinn tbh, but even me, a Sandy simp, is starting to think Callaghan might be a better option than Sinn 😮

It'll be interesting to see how they all progress from here

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

i like your list, we tend to have similar views but enough differences to bounce my thoughts off of(when analysing your list), i always am interested to see what you think on players in the draft pool.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I'd be thrilled with Chesser and Sinn tbh, but even me, a Sandy simp, is starting to think Callaghan might be a better option than Sinn 😮

It'll be interesting to see how they all progress from here

i think Sinn is the better player, Callaghan is like 80% of what Sinn is imo, both very valuable outside mids though, i just am not sold on Sinn being top 5 until he shows something special, which he might do at the champs?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did some browsing through each WAFL Clubs websites looking at lists for 2021

Interestingly Brodie Lake is listed as a colts player at Peel Thunder for 2021 (I don't believe he was listed for 2020, despite having played for Peel in 2019) so he could be working his way through the WAFL next year. No idea if this has been stated anywhere

Jye Clark, Jordan Clark's brother, has been signed by Perth (Previously playing for Claremont). He's showed signs, but was stuck in the reserves this season, interested to see if he can break through

All of the 2021 candidates I'm expecting to be in contention are listed, but a few 2022 players I think could be good aren't listed yet.

Edit: Also noticed Joshua Cripps, younger brother of Patrick, isn't listed anywhere. I assumed he'd have a go again next year considering his season ending injury this year.

Can you tell me some more about Lake please? He looks alright so far this year. Thanks

July Ranking Updates
Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It's been a bit! And in that time a lot has changed ranking wise.

2. Nick Daicos (Inside Midfielder/Victoria) (Collingwood F/S)
3. Sam Darcy (Tall Utility/Victoria) (Western Bulldogs F/S)
4. Matthew Roberts (Inside Midfielder/South Australia)
5. Josh Rachele (General Forward/Victoria)
6. Finn Callaghan (Outside Midfielder/Victoria)
7. Josh Gibscus (Tall Defender/Victoria)
8. Campbell Chesser (General Defence/Victoria)
9. Neil Erasmus (General Forward/Western Australia)
10. Josh Sinn (General Defence/Victoria)

11. Matthew Johnson (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)
12. Josh Goater (Inside Midfielder/Victoria)
13. Josh Fahey (General Defence/New South Wales) (GWS Academy)
14. Tyler Sonsie (Inside Midfielder/Victoria)
15. Mac Andrew (Ruckman/Victoria) (Melbourne NGA)
16. Sam Banks (General Defence/Tasmania)
17. Jack Williams (Tall Forward/Western Australia)
18. Ben Hobbs (Inside Midfielder/Victoria)
19. Josh Ward (Inside Midfielder/Victoria)
20. Cooper Murley (Outside Midfielder/South Australia)

21. Jacob van Rooyen (Tall Forward/Western Australia)
23. Rhett Bazzo (Tall Defender/Western Australia)
24. Joshua Browne (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)
25. Darcy Wilmot (General Defence/Victoria)
26. Jye Amiss (Tall Forward/Western Australia)
27. Sam Butler (General Forward/Victoria)
28. Kade Dittmar (Inside Midfielder/Western Australia)
29. Judson Clarke (General Forward/Victoria)
30. Jake Soligo (Inside Midfielder/Victoria)

The main additions have been Sam Darcy, who has rocketed up to 3rd, Judson Clarke, Darcy Wilmot, Jye Amiss, Sam Butler and Jake Soligo. While Jacob van Rooyen, Rhett Bazzo, Lewis Rayson, Jesse Motlop and a few others have fallen out.

Sam Darcy is the story everyone knows about now, he's going to be a gun and I'm genuinely very interested what he'll end up doing in the Bulldogs lineup (I don't reckon he'll move Naughton to a wing or anything crazy like that). Amiss, Butler, Soligo and Clarke were all on the outer last time but have come in with consistent and/or standout performances. I've particularly enjoyed Soligo's last two performances that have landed him at 30. Ben Hobbs and Josh Ward aren't additions but both of them have had good performances recently and they're both types I already liked.

Van Rooyen is the main player falling. I think he's been relatively unlucky where his main points of exposure this year have been the all stars game, which he didn't perform particularly well in, and his few WAFL League games, in which he looked fine but he hasn't been able to get back due to a mixture of form and glandular fever. I have no doubt he'll get back if we ever get champs this year, but for now he's falling purely because others are performing better for me.

The players that are close at the moment include Ned Long, Tom Brown, Lewis Rayson, Blake Howes, Morgan Ferres and Luke Nankervis

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears

The main additions have been Sam Darcy, who has rocketed up to 3rd, Judson Clarke, Darcy Wilmot, Jye Amiss, Sam Butler and Jake Soligo. While Jacob van Rooyen, Rhett Bazzo, Lewis Rayson, Jesse Motlop and a few others have fallen out.

Sam Darcy is the story everyone knows about now, he's going to be a gun and I'm genuinely very interested what he'll end up doing in the Bulldogs lineup (I don't reckon he'll move Naughton to a wing or anything crazy like that). Amiss, Butler, Soligo and Clarke were all on the outer last time but have come in with consistent and/or standout performances. I've particularly enjoyed Soligo's last two performances that have landed him at 30. Ben Hobbs and Josh Ward aren't additions but both of them have had good performances recently and they're both types I already liked.

Van Rooyen is the main player falling. I think he's been relatively unlucky where his main points of exposure this year have been the all stars game, which he didn't perform particularly well in, and his few WAFL League games, in which he looked fine but he hasn't been able to get back due to a mixture of form and glandular fever. I have no doubt he'll get back if we ever get champs this year, but for now he's falling purely because others are performing better for me.

The players that are close at the moment include Ned Long, Tom Brown, Lewis Rayson, Blake Howes, Morgan Ferres and Luke Nankervis

Love your work Bastyy, what’s the highest/lowest you can see Erasmus going or dropping? I watched him tear Claremont apart in that GF last year and he seems to have gone from strength to strength, seems to step up in the big games as well so if we lose Cerra I think he’s my first choice replacement since we could start him as a mid forward if needed.

Amiss/JVR/Williams, which one suites us best?

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Love your work Bastyy, what’s the highest/lowest you can see Erasmus going or dropping? I watched him tear Claremont apart in that GF last year and he seems to have gone from strength to strength, seems to step up in the big games as well so if we lose Cerra I think he’s my first choice replacement since we could start him as a mid forward if needed.

Amiss/JVR/Williams, which one suites us best?
For me I think Erasmus won't go any lower then top 15. He's an incredibly interesting prospect who can kick goals, win the ball and impact in the air. He's one of the best athletic midfielders in this draft for mine and given his performances are only getting better (And we're seeing him do it against men, him being one of the few "good" players in the all stars match this year) I think he'll end up going top 10. Having a good champs definitely won't hurt his chances either.

Out of the 3 WA key forwards, I think the best is Williams and I think he's the best for us as well. He's more versatile then the other 2 and I think his ability to work up the ground can really help Treacy in the Future. Really all 3 of them would be fine, but a tall forward with versatility is exactly what teams are asking for and I imagine it's what we want as well

Back