List Mgmt. Player Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is a list of players whose contracts are up at year end. Good-bye to the bolded.

Name
Final Year​
Years Service*​
Anton Tohill
2021​
3​
Brayden Sier
Christopher Mayne
Darcy Cameron
2021​
2​
Isaac Chugg
2021​
1​
Jack Ginnivan
2021​
1​
Jack Madgen
Jay Rantall
2021​
2​
John Noble
2021​
3​
Josh Thomas
Levi Greenwood
2021​
7​
Mason Cox
2021​
7​
Max Lynch
Scott Pendlebury
2021​
16​
Tom Wilson
2021​
2​
Trent Bianco
2021​
2​
Trey Ruscoe
2021​
2​

Last edited:
Here is a list of players whose contracts are up at year end. Good-bye to the bolded.

Name
Final Year​
Years Service*​
Anton Tohill
2021​
3​
Brayden Sier
Christopher Mayne
Darcy Cameron
2021​
2​
Isaac Chugg
2021​
1​
Jack Ginnivan
2021​
1​
Jack Madgen
Jay Rantall
2021​
2​
John Noble
2021​
3​
Josh Thomas
Levi Greenwood
2021​
7​
Mason Cox
2021​
7​
Max Lynch
Scott Pendlebury
2021​
16​
Tom Wilson
2021​
2​
Trent Bianco
2021​
2​
Trey Ruscoe
2021​
2​
I thought all draftees were on 2 year contracts?

Pies holding off on contracts til end of season? Including one Scott Pendlebury?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So at the end of this year, there's 22 players out of contract according to that list. Considering the demographic problem of the big gap in players in the 22-27 group, I think there's some painful changes that would be worth making, and which would also solve properly the salary cap issue that is still hanging around. I would do the following:

KEEP
  1. Ash Johnson (we haven't seen him have a crack at it yet and has potential)
  2. Caleb Poulter (developing well, still very small bodied but is the probably successor to Sidebottom on the opposite wing from J Daicos)
  3. Darcy Cameron (unlikely to ever be a star but is a good solid second ruck and pack mark/second forward)
  4. Finlay Macrae (lots of talent and should find his way into a regular spot over the next year or so)
  5. Jeremy Howe (most important player structurally to the team and a leader)
  6. Jordan De Goey (one of only a couple of actualy A graders who are still young)
  7. Jordan Roughead (the youth replacements are not ready to take over for another couple of years)
  8. Josh Daicos (gun and still very young)
  9. Liam McMahon (potentially solves a key forward or key back issue for the next decade if he keeps developing)
  10. Nathan Murphy (borderline but has shown glimpses at times of becoming a good player)
  11. Oliver Henry (probably the best of last year's draft class and should start moving into the position Jamie Elliott has occupied of mid sized marking forward)
  12. Tom Wilson (he looks like he could develop into what Scharenberg was going to be before all the injuries. Would like to see him get another year or two to find his feet)
  13. Trent Bianco (developing nicely)
  14. Tyler Brown (this is dependent on his form for the rest of the year. If he doesn't show anything in this run in the team (I would like to see him have a 4 week run at AFL level) then he can move to the delist list)
  15. Will Hoskin-Elliott (he's unfairly demonised by Pies fans, is an important link player, has some of the best hands and is an excellent kick for goal. If a trade offer came for him, I think the Pies should consider it but I doubt there'd be much interest)
  16. Will Kelly (worth another year or two since key position players take a while to develop and he's had a horror run with injuries)

DELIST
  1. Callum Brown (had plenty of chances and not going to get anything for him)
  2. Jack Madgen (I think this one is obvious)
  3. Mason Cox (see Jack Madgen)

TRADE
  1. Jamie Elliott (while he is super talented, he's 29 and is unlikely to be in Pies' next premiership side. If we are to get good young talent, we need to give something up. He may be attractive to Brisbane or even the Dogs who are contending for a flag and are a bit shallow for forward line depth, although another injury this year has probably dropped his value to a 2nd round pick)
  2. Steele Sidebottom (won't get a lot for him but he's not the same player he was 2 years ago and must still be on big money. If keeping him means De Goey walks, I think that's going to hurt the club. It would need to be handled respectfully and by giving him the choice of where to go, similar to how the Hawks found a home for Hodge or Mitchell)

I have barely seen Isaac Chugg play so can't comment on him.

Delist
  1. Jack Madgen (I think this one is obvious)

I disagree, I think for all his weaknesses, Madgen is still way way ahead of a 31 year old Roughead who struggles to get on the park, and a 19 year old Charlie Dean who is yet to play a game.

TRADE
  1. Jamie Elliott (while he is super talented, he's 29 and is unlikely to be in Pies' next premiership side. If we are to get good young talent, we need to give something up. He may be attractive to Brisbane or even the Dogs who are contending for a flag and are a bit shallow for forward line depth, although another injury this year has probably dropped his value to a 2nd round pick)
  2. Steele Sidebottom (won't get a lot for him but he's not the same player he was 2 years ago and must still be on big money. If keeping him means De Goey walks, I think that's going to hurt the club. It would need to be handled respectfully and by giving him the choice of where to go, similar to how the Hawks found a home for Hodge or Mitchell)
Just remembered that these two would be free agents so it would just be compensation that Pies would receive (I'm assuming 2nd round pick based on their salaries, which would be worth it to have an extra 2 picks in the 20s)

Jeremy Howe is re-signed for next year.

NameYears ServiceStatus
2​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
5​
Non-Free Agent​
11​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
8​
Restricted Free Agent​
1​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
8​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
5​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
14​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
5​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​

From Footywire

A lot in interesting names there,

NameYears ServiceStatus
2​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
5​
Non-Free Agent​
11​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
8​
Restricted Free Agent​
1​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
8​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
5​
Non-Free Agent​
2​
Non-Free Agent​
14​
Unrestricted Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
3​
Non-Free Agent​
5​
Non-Free Agent​
6​
Non-Free Agent​
4​
Non-Free Agent​

From Footywire

A lot in interesting names there,
Which of these are re-signed now?

As per zero hanger today, the following are still without a contract for next year:
  1. Caleb Poulter: I wonder if they are waiting to see if they get Fiorini here to determine whether to keep Poulter
  2. Trent Bianco: Would expect he will be re-signed shortly since he played in the finals
  3. Oliver Henry: On way to Cats so long as they stop playing silly buggers
  4. Will Hoskin-Elliott: Interesting that he hasn't be re-signed yet. I have a feeling they will keep him if Henry goes but if Henry stays they might try to move him on. Alternatively they might be wondering if he has any trade value.
  5. Will Kelly: I suspect he will go if Pies sign Frampton
  6. Jack Madgen: Not sure why he hasn't been delisted yet but it might be the same situation as Will Kelly
  7. Tom Wilson: He is apparently going to stay as a category B rookie so can't imagine him leaving.
I'd like to see them get pick 18 for Henry, delist Madgen and Kelly and keep the rest. If Pies can get pick 18, as well as their existing pick 16 and a top 25 pick for Grundy that's not a bad look at the draft for this year to bring in some young talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back