Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm a sheep because I think a kid who didn't play any footy last year shouldn't be sent to go head to head with Tim Taranto or Clayton Oliver.

David Noble is also a sheep it seems.

Ffs.

This is why you're a sheep. I'm having a crack at Noble. You should stop jumping immediately to the defence of any criticism aimed at the club which you always do. Baaaaa

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Phillips' performance so far. Why didn't he elaborate on how he is developing him and why? I haven't worked out if he's protecting Phillips or himself.
I'm genuinely confused. How would it be protecting himself? Noble wasn't even at the club when we drafted Will. As for protecting Will I'm not even sure he needs to, the club has already made it pretty clear his fitness/conditioning isn't great after a year out of football, healing from a bad injury last year, and then having a shortened and interrupted pre season.

As to elaborating on how they're developing him I thought it was pretty clear they're trying to make him a more versatile player while still giving him some midfield minutes. If you disagree with that approach then that's fine and I can respect that, but I don't think there's anything too wrong with what they are doing when you consider all the factors.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is his what, his fourth game?

Jeez some people sook.
I agree mate .
Some people here have a sook without having the faintest about footy.
I’m sure some of these tools haven’t ever played a game or ever had a kick to kick even in their school yard .
This is the deal . (Known fact)
Phillips has had a very similar junior footy upbringing as LDU. Playing Only their whole lives from under 7’s to TAC in the guts & only in the guts due to being so good . (Not being exposed or very little to any other position).
Playing only & completely Dominating in the midfield in junior level does not give you a walk up start in the AFL vs the midfield gorillas . For obvious reasons they are not ready to match the midfield gorillas of the AFL in physicality or years of preseason match fitness.
That is why we all need to take a chill pill & be a bit more patient whilst guys like Phillips & LDU burn a slower candle & learn their craft playing small doses in the midfield & learn a new position such as HF (a position that is tough in a crap team)
Not everyone is a Matt Rowell ?! Who was one in a million when drafted (body of a man child already ) .

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm genuinely confused. How would it be protecting himself? Noble wasn't even at the club when we drafted Will. As for protecting Will I'm not even sure he needs to, the club has already made it pretty clear his fitness/conditioning isn't great after a year out of football, healing from a bad injury last year, and then having a shortened and interrupted pre season.

As to elaborating on how they're developing him I thought it was pretty clear they're trying to make him a more versatile player while still giving him some midfield minutes. If you disagree with that approach then that's fine and I can respect that, but I don't think there's anything too wrong with what they are doing when you consider all the factors.

So why can't we develop Xerri in the firsts too instead of that plodder Campbell. Double ******* standards AGAIN.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So why can't we develop Xerri in the firsts too instead of that plodder Campbell. Double ******* standards AGAIN.
Take your pick of reasons. Underdone in the preseason and copped two minor injuries/niggles since the real stuff has started, playing predominantly in the ruck in the VFL which is analogous to what his position would be if he replaces Goldy as opposed to what his role would be if he played seniors, we already have over a dozen kids with bugger all experience playing which is arguably already too many, or maybe they just think Campbell right now is a better option that Xerri when it comes to the performance of the team as a whole. Not really sure it's double standards. Ruck and the defence are probably the only areas of the ground where AFL listed players might properly develop in the VFL considering the state of the squad tbqh.

🤷‍♂️

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Take your pick of reasons. Underdone in the preseason and copped two minor injuries/niggles since the real stuff has started, playing predominantly in the ruck in the VFL which is analogous to what his position would be if he replaces Goldy as opposed to what his role would be if he played seniors, we already have over a dozen kids with bugger all experience playing which is arguably already too many, or maybe they just think Campbell right now is a better option that Xerri when it comes to the performance of the team as a whole. Not really sure it's double standards. Ruck and the defence are probably the only areas of the ground where AFL listed players might properly develop in the VFL considering the state of the squad tbqh.

Voice of reason Dev. Love your work

This is why you're a sheep. I'm having a crack at Noble. You should stop jumping immediately to the defence of any criticism aimed at the club which you always do. Baaaaa

Righto sook.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Phillips' performance so far. Why didn't he elaborate on how he is developing him and why? I haven't worked out if he's protecting Phillips or himself.
What exactly do you think Will Phillips should be doing so far? Is it X number of touches, more time in the middle? You're criticising his performance, so tell us what your standard is.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Could be a good opportunity for Will with LDU out this week to log some centre bounce minutes

Yeah, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Gawn etc., will be the perfect easy baptism for him.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Gawn etc., will be the perfect easy baptism for him.

Now LDU's confidence is shot & Bailey is struggling in the seconds. Hideous list management. Just hideous.
My primary concern with the playing group is the lack of trust between players, except for Tom Powell, they're all trying to be the hero and carry on their own. Reminds me of carlton a few years ago.

But anyway, I like to stay optimistic so hopefully Will can make the most of this opportunity.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My primary concern with the playing group is the lack of trust between players, except for Tom Powell, they're all trying to be the hero and carry on their own. Reminds me of carlton a few years ago.

But anyway, I like to stay optimistic so hopefully Will can make the most of this opportunity.

Some seem to be that way, but then you have others like Ats and Young who appear to be following the gamelan with ball in hand even if it's not working out. Also a handful who are actually being heroes, specifically Stephenson who is possibly the only player consistently being both a key part of scoring chains and also kicking goals himself. Including one or two quite arrogant shots which have worked out. He really is a beast of a kid in that regard, so much potential to build into still.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some seem to be that way, but then you have others like Ats and Young who appear to be following the gamelan with ball in hand even if it's not working out. Also a handful who are actually being heroes, specifically Stephenson who is possibly the only player consistently being both a key part of scoring chains and also kicking goals himself. Including one or two quite arrogant shots which have worked out. He really is a beast of a kid in that regard, so much potential to build into still.
Yeah, stepho is built for heroics. Would love to see where Noble puts these kids in a full healthy team though. I miss Taz and Frog.

Some crazy good opportunities in the next 3 weeks for the team.

sruss

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It missed today, but he’s been having some
pretty classy pings at the goals every week. Would be super nice weapon to add to his arsenal when he becomes a full time centre square player for us

Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Building. It’ll be all about getting short sharp bursts on the ball for him this year to acclimatise and get his touch. He won’t be fit enough to do much more but he’s gonna be a beauty.

Had that nice centre clearance today.

I thought he played well. He is starting to get into the game a bit more. No worse than Jy when he started out.

I thought it was his best game so far, he tried to do too much but at least you saw the intent, was good :thumbsu:

Back