Scape Goat Who should we trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if your trolling or not, but we are currently no where close to reaching finals next year and contending the following. We need to go to the draft for the next 2/3 years aggresively and be accepting of a few years of being bottom 4. Downie, Maginess and DGB will not help us rise to a finals run next year, will need some patience and development.
If you told me in 2014/15 that Kamden McIntosh and Kane Lambert were going to be the Nucleus of a Multiple premiership side I would have laughed so hard you would have had to pick me up off the floor. - There is nothing to say that Harry Morrison, Jack Scrimshaw, CJ , The Worpedo and Will Day can't be the nucleus of a premiership team in the future. And while Downie Maginess and DGB won't help us to the finals in the next two years in 3-4 they might well be - so we got to let them develop and with good people around them like a Brownlow Medallist and a player who has fought back from a crippling injury - guys with work ethic on the track regardless of how we are doing on the field. Picks and players are only part of the formula to a flag - the rest is coaching and development AND THAT TAKES TIME - we've been on a slow methodical rebuild since 2019 and that was put back a year with Covid - I know fans are one eyed but to think you can just win a flag every year is delusional at best

If the Dogs fell short of a flag this year i'm sure they would love to add Wingard after chasing him heavily when he was leaving Port. The issue is that the main fringe player at the Dogs is Pat Lipinski and with Morrison, Phillips and Downie we look to have that position adequately covered moving forward.

I'd consider Chad and our 2 second rounders for Bailey Smith and the Dogs second round. That's the only fantasy trade i'm happy to dream about right now. Season 2020 is still alive and we honestly should be 2-3 and sitting a lot higher on the ladder than we are right now.

Bailey Smith would cost a lot more than that on the trade table. Given his age, output and potential he would be one of the highest value players in the game currently.

If the Dogs fell short of a flag this year i'm sure they would love to add Wingard after chasing him heavily when he was leaving Port. The issue is that the main fringe player at the Dogs is Pat Lipinski and with Morrison, Phillips and Downie we look to have that position adequately covered moving forward.

I'd consider Chad and our 2 second rounders for Bailey Smith and the Dogs second round. That's the only fantasy trade i'm happy to dream about right now. Season 2020 is still alive and we honestly should be 2-3 and sitting a lot higher on the ladder than we are right now.

...how does that make us better??? If you Bailey Smith to a team with wingard yes that makes us better but taking out an x factor player to bring in a young gun mid doesn't really make us better. Smith is flying at the dogs because he has Bontempelli, Dunkley Macrae, Hunter, Liberatore and Trelaor all in the same team. How do you think he goes when he's in a team with half that quality in the midfield??? Swapping one player for another doesn't help our problems. Its bringing in multiple guns that lifts a team. Next year three picks in the top 25 one of which is a top 5 and even then you have 2 years of development before you get serious output. Have patience and we are back in the game in 2 to 3 years. Try to buy it and we spend a decade in the wilderness Carlton style

...how does that make us better??? If you Bailey Smith to a team with wingard yes that makes us better but taking out an x factor player to bring in a young gun mid doesn't really make us better. Smith is flying at the dogs because he has Bontempelli, Dunkley Macrae, Hunter, Liberatore and Trelaor all in the same team. How do you think he goes when he's in a team with half that quality in the midfield??? Swapping one player for another doesn't help our problems. Its bringing in multiple guns that lifts a team. Next year three picks in the top 25 one of which is a top 5 and even then you have 2 years of development before you get serious output. Have patience and we are back in the game in 2 to 3 years. Try to buy it and we spend a decade in the wilderness Carlton style
Bailey Smith is the type of player you build your team around. Fast, powerful, goalkicking midfielders don't grow on trees, and he and his family lived and breathed Hawthorn before he got drafted.

Bailey Smith is the type of player you build your team around. Fast, powerful, goalkicking midfielders don't grow on trees, and he and his family lived and breathed Hawthorn before he got drafted.

On the right a young Bailey with his hero at the time Buddy. On the left with his brother from another mother CJ at Xavier College.

D2Tf48AUwAEwvYt.jpg 359c608ead14296704411a48c31e0204.jpg

Dogs will sure as hell make sure they lock down Bailey Smith long term.

No Smith looks extra good as there are so many around him. The bulldogs certainly aren't "building a team around him". He will look and play just like Worpel in our current team. Much more pressure and responsibility so he can't free-wheel like he does at the dogs.

Oh and who he barracks for and his family barracks for means s**t. Luke Hodge is a mad Tigers fan. I really really don't see your point especially regards to trading him for wingard who at this stage is a better footballer. It wouldn't make us better and would gift the doggies a flag.

No Smith looks extra good as there are so many around him. The bulldogs certainly aren't "building a team around him". He will look and play just like Worpel in our current team. Much more pressure and responsibility so he can't free-wheel like he does at the dogs.

Oh and who he barracks for and his family barracks for means sh*t. Luke Hodge is a mad Tigers fan. I really really don't see your point especially regards to trading him for wingard who at this stage is a better footballer. It wouldn't make us better and would gift the doggies a flag.
Sorry, Bailey Smith is easily better than Worpel.

Oh and who he barracks for and his family barracks for means sh*t. Luke Hodge is a mad Tigers fan. I really really don't see your point especially regards to trading him for wingard who at this stage is a better footballer. It wouldn't make us better and would gift the doggies a flag.
They would never do that trade anyway.

Smith is better than Worpel dude come on.

I also think he is a better fit for where we are than Wingard.

To say that who a player barracks for means jack s**t is also just not true. One example doesn't prove anything. Some kids supported a club but are happy just to be on a list, some kids grew up not passionately following any afl teams and some kids were obsessive supporters. Its a broad spectrum.

Its all moot though. Dogs arent trading him, especially for Wingard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith is better than Worpel dude come on.

I also think he is a better fit for where we are than Wingard.

To say that who a player barracks for means jack sh*t is also just not true. One example doesn't prove anything. Some kids supported a club but are happy just to be on a list, some kids grew up not passionately following any afl teams and some kids were obsessive supporters. Its a broad spectrum.

Its all moot though. Dogs arent trading him, especially for Wingard.
The grass is always greener with you guys.

Worpel carried our midfield and was a best and fairest in his second season at the club. Smith is great but not that much better than Worps, is surrounded by the best deepest midfield in the comp that includes a bonfide top 5 in the league player, he also has some off field stuff so hey maybe if we throw them our top 5 pick we can take him if you are keen but I'd rather keep that pick.

The grass is always greener with you guys.

Worpel carried our midfield and was a best and fairest in his second season at the club. Smith is great but not that much better than Worps, is surrounded by the best deepest midfield in the comp that includes a bonfide top 5 in the league player, he also has some off field stuff so hey maybe if we throw them our top 5 pick we can take him if you are keen but I'd rather keep that pick.
'You guys'? Huh? This is just my opinion, nobody elses.

Why are you creating groups, does it help you feel like your are fighting a crusade?

Smith is a better footballer than Worpel.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Seriously envisage how without paying the farm again which has burnt us twice now ( JOM & Chad ). we get Smith from the dogs!
I know its a risk but we have to hit the draft hard for a couple of years.
Also pick up cheap fringe players at clubs who aren't getting adequate game time, but could enhance our lean playing stocks.
Everyone lauds Wright here- LOL the 2 strutting goats meme.
I think he left our list in a poor state!
Learn our lesson don't overpay for getting players into the team.

I'm prepared 2 let Mitchell go. He can occasionally wake up and kick long. But for the amount of money he is on I'd rather keep worpel and cousins on half that money and go after Kelly, Merrett et al so we have something that is not a witches hat defensively.

I'm prepared 2 let Mitchell go. He can occasionally wake up and kick long. But for the amount of money he is on I'd rather keep worpel and cousins on half that money and go after Kelly, Merrett et al so we have something that is not a witches hat defensively.
Mitchell is going nowhere mate.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The drums should be beating for mitchell, for those saying keep him why? In both short term and long term

(I think we would get between 20-30 for him) But open up cap space..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back